Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

4 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

its very unlikely that a person only believes in one conspiracy theory. it's a mindset some people have that makes the succeptible to it. videos like that one get massive circulation despite being completely bogus. it's really disheartening tbh

it's also ironic. people thought the information gateway that is the internet would lead to a reduction of misinformed/uninformed people, but instead has helped create communities where people who were previously isolated moonbats now cain join forums or online communities where they can share bogus literature and reaffirm their beliefs in an echo chamber

You'd have to be a huge loser to just isolate yourself online like that though...

anyway I wonder what the MoL rankings are gonna say tonight?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

@mission27 Will be happy to read this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32361460

*I didn't read the whole thing, just read a quick summary of it. 

I did a quick scan and am primarily concerned about 2 important covariates that I didn't see addressed:

1. The model did not account for responses to COVID-19 outbreaks such as social distancing, mask wearing, etc.
  2. The model did not account for the health of the population (unless Human Development Index includes BMI). It did account for age, but BMI/weight is another important variable.

Number 1 I think is a big enough deal to stick an asterisk on this thing for the time being.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

its very unlikely that a person only believes in one conspiracy theory. it's a mindset some people have that makes the succeptible to it. videos like that one get massive circulation despite being completely bogus. it's really disheartening tbh

it's also ironic. people thought the information gateway that is the internet would lead to a reduction of misinformed/uninformed people, but instead has helped create communities where people who were previously isolated moonbats now cain join forums or online communities where they can share bogus literature and reaffirm their beliefs in an echo chamber

The days when Alexander Hamilton used to influence thousands by writing persuasive letters for pamphlets under a pseudonym are long gone.

Now everyone has easy to access to getting their voice out there, and people are just looking for other people that share their pre-existing views.  No one really changes sides of the fence.  They just get entrenched in their views.  Which is exactly the reason we can't talk politics here - no one is looking for intelligent discourse on this kind of thing.  They just want to beat the opposition over the head with their views because they think they'll "win".

So, yeah, it's really no surprise (at least in retrospect) that the internet has failed to bring us all one common truth.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You'd have to be a huge loser to just isolate yourself online like that though...

anyway I wonder what the MoL rankings are gonna say tonight?

MoLs rankings and other musings have proved highly accurate and popular but you keep being ignorant tbh

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mission27 said:

MoLs rankings and other musings have proved highly accurate and popular but you keep being ignorant tbh

The challenge here is that you eliminate or poop on anything/everything that doesn't agree with your work
That's not how good science or high - quality modeling works.

All models are wrong, some of them are useful.

But what we consistently get from you is self-reported awesomeness or you insulting those who disagree with you, as you did above
Is it any wonder why people push back ?

None of us are experts here, its a novel situation and we're all trying to figure it out as we go along
Its OK to be wrong, every single expert has been wrong in some facet of this pandemic and we can all learn from those mistakes

We've managed to make this thread work for 361 pages so far, let's keep it rolling.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

But what we consistently get from you is self-reported awesomeness or you insulting those who disagree with you, as you did above

You clearly do no understand that TLO and I live by a self professed philosophy of breathtaking narcissism tbh

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mission27 said:

You clearly do no understand that TLO and I live by a self professed philosophy of breathtaking narcissism tbh

And clearly they miss the part where multiple people have done the same thing right back at you, but hey, only the side that agrees with me is right! 

Side note, the entirety of the worlds public policy were guided by models which were wrong (or misleading if wrong is too strong) and experts who have been wrong (or jumped the gun if that is easier to stomach) yet many seem more hot and bothered by the MOL. 

• Like 1

Maryland's governor is opening things up tomorrow as it pertains to outdoor activities, with stage one set to begin soon.  The interesting one is public schools not being open again until Stage 3, which is January 1st 2021.  

https://www.eyeonannapolis.net/2020/05/governor-hogans-update-on-covid-19-response-go-boating-and-golfing/?fbclid=IwAR3DNFxHkwJS5XxGLAnSOZpodROGl1E_lkLlM2u5c5S20nmrfOudZRiGgW0

7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Maryland's governor is opening things up tomorrow as it pertains to outdoor activities, with stage one set to begin soon.  The interesting one is public schools not being open again until Stage 3, which is January 1st 2021.  

https://www.eyeonannapolis.net/2020/05/governor-hogans-update-on-covid-19-response-go-boating-and-golfing/?fbclid=IwAR3DNFxHkwJS5XxGLAnSOZpodROGl1E_lkLlM2u5c5S20nmrfOudZRiGgW0

Really, really hoping I'm out of my current place of residence then if that's the case. 

12 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It didn't make much sense to still have boating and golfing closed still tbh

How likely is it that schools and colleges don't open up or are only online in the fall? If graduating seniors are actually smart, we'll see record breaking enrollment at community colleges this year. No point in paying for university tuition without the university experience. 

9 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

How likely is it that schools and colleges don't open up or are only online in the fall? If graduating seniors are actually smart, we'll see record breaking enrollment at community colleges this year. No point in paying for university tuition without the university experience. 

ideally it would all be about the quality of education, but in many cases, the status of the school you get a degree from carries more weight

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

ideally it would all be about the quality of education, but in many cases, the status of the school you get a degree from carries more weight

As long as the credits transfer it only really matters where you finish