Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, mission27 said:

Amen 

This is a disease that devastates particular groups of people and is worst in very predictable settings 

We should be able to ease restrictions for the majority of people while ramping up precautions for these groups and settings and thats what the smart leaders (e.g. Governor Cuomo, who the MoL have gained a tremendous amount of respect for although we always admired him a great deal) are proposing

Agreed tbh. And I’d argue that’s what they are working towards in LA despite the reporting and messaging. More shops have opened up within the last week. I’d expect continued progress over the coming weeks and months. 

• Like 2

Somehow it went from "we need to lockdown to flatten the curve" to "anyone who wants to start opening things up only cares about money and not lives"  to "anyone that wants to open up just selfishly wants their hair cut".

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Somehow it went from "we need to lockdown to flatten the curve" to "anyone who wants to start opening things up only cares about money and not lives"  to "anyone that wants to open up just selfishly wants their hair cut".

Thank you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mission27 said:

Another overreaction 

Chance of a college student dying from this is basically nil, if you have professors that are at risk fine, they can teach remote, but this is stupid

I hope the incoming freshmen have time to take a community college route.

33 minutes ago, Danger said:

So lets put something in perspective for my area again.

xT0VoRb.png

Things are finally starting to improve, however today there's been a massive spike... just one thing.

18 cases reported yesterday.
164 today.... 128 of which are from long term care facilities, not even including the staff. So basically the only hold up for us now seems to be the damn retirement communities. If we don't reopen at the next date presented by the governor Tom Wolf of June 4th, then I'm gonna go drive up to the mayor's office and protest.

I posted some numbers last week, but even with NYS numbers, the number of east coast deaths from Covid-19 from senior citizens accounted for 50% of the numbers.  In PA, which you mentioned in subsequent posts, it accounted for over 60%.  

In one week's time recently in maryland, 291 deaths were reported, 271 of them coming from nursing homes/assisted care facilities.  

These facilities are locked to the public- if you have an immediate family member there, you can not visit them- so that's not the problem.  All of this time, we've heard that doctors don't want to choose who lives and who dies by assigning ventilators.  Well, even with Covid-19 ravaging nursing homes/assisted care, they are shutting the doors and letting it burn all of the way through until it's run the course.  Instead of choosing who lives and dies, they are basically saying "let God sort it out."  They aren't assigning anyone else to empty hotel rooms, field hospitals or empty hospitals, just letting it happen.  It's deplorable. 

But when you take out the nursing homes/assisted care deaths, this looks much more manageable to open things up with common sense and social distancing, not to continue stay at homes orders for the next couple months as some places seemed poised to do.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Why are nursing homes still such a problem?

What can be done to help them?

I think it’s the close quarters combined with the age and most there aren’t exactly beacons of health. Not to be callous, because all life is precious, but if it wasn’t this, it could/would likely be pneumonia, the flu, or complications from surgery/circulation, etc.

• Like 2

New stimulus proposal seems a lot more realistic than some of the other recent ideas. Would give another round of $1,200 checks and extend the extra $600 a week for unemployment until January.

I don't really need the $1,200 but... I'll find something to spend it on...I am due for a new pc build.

23 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

New stimulus proposal seems a lot more realistic than some of the other recent ideas. Would give another round of $1,200 checks and extend the extra $600 a week for unemployment until January.

I don't really need the $1,200 but... I'll find something to spend it on...I am due for a new pc build.

I'm still waiting on my first one