Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

ok bud

For real, there’s a pandemic going on right now.  Being less of a butthead would be appreciated by everyone.  Spreading doom and gloom and being combative and confrontational over good news is the worst thing right now.  Dispute it all you want, discuss it all you want, but don’t be a butthead maybe.

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

For real, there’s a pandemic going on right now.  Being less of a butthead would be appreciated by everyone.  Spreading doom and gloom and being combative and confrontational over good news is the worst thing right now.  Dispute it all you want, discuss it all you want, but don’t be a butthead maybe.

bro youve been dismissive of the start, saying it wasnt a big deal.  sorry im harshing your buzz, but mission is a known optimist.  what he's saying isnt jiving with what experts are saying, no matter how much he wants to say that im wrong.  people are gonna die, fast, in big numbers here in 2 weeks.  that is what happens in a pandemic.  FYI, we've reached parity with confirmed deaths between swine flu and covid19 and its gonna get a lot worse

49 minutes ago, theJ said:

It is, but it's also probably not reality.

(also, are you talking just US, or worldwide?)

The cases lag 1-2 weeks, and the deaths behind the cases.  They're all lagging indicators.  We've done some pretty extensive quarantining, and it will show fruits if we stay at it.  It just doesn't show yet, because we're still seeing the results from before the quarantining efforts.

Italy's numbers are starting to level off.  China's did as well, about a month in (even if we don't trust their numbers).

even with the quarantining and such, NYS curve is steepening, not flattening.

• Like 1

Yeah so this is the concerning thing. A coworker of mine just went to get tested and she slacked us and said they wont have results for 7-10 days. My uncle meanwhile got tested last Tuesday and still hasnt received his results. 

The infection numbers that we are seeing now are still like a week behind at best.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, theJ said:

It is, but it's also probably not reality.

(also, are you talking just US, or worldwide?)

The cases lag 1-2 weeks, and the deaths behind the cases.  They're all lagging indicators.  We've done some pretty extensive quarantining, and it will show fruits if we stay at it.  It just doesn't show yet, because we're still seeing the results from before the quarantining efforts.

Italy's numbers are starting to level off.  China's did as well, about a month in (even if we don't trust their numbers).

The U.S. has implemented far fewer restriction in people than China did. You’ve also been slow to initiate testing. 

30 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

you feeling bad yet...?

19 minutes ago, mistakey said:

even with the quarantining and such, NYS curve is steepening, not flattening.

To be fair, as far as I can tell based on what I’ve read, I don’t think the impact of the quarantining and social distancing would show up immediately in the numbers, especially considering how badly we were under-testing a week ago and the time lapse between testing and results. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TLO said:

To be fair, as far as I can tell based on what I’ve read, I don’t think the impact of the quarantining and social distancing would show up immediately in the numbers, especially considering how badly we were under-testing a week ago and the time lapse between testing and results. 

ny been doing it more than when trump said to start it 7 days ago.  businesses have been asking to work from home earlier here (as they did in Washington, which did it before us, and it shows).  median to show symptoms is 5 days.  im no expert of my own, but steepening of the curve still seems bad even with the lag.  hopefully we reach an inflection point soon here

18 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

Yeah so this is the concerning thing. A coworker of mine just went to get tested and she slacked us and said they wont have results for 7-10 days. My uncle meanwhile got tested last Tuesday and still hasnt received his results. 

The infection numbers that we are seeing now are still like a week behind at best.

Is it normal for the results to take so long?

40 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

The ICU has received instructions on how to use a single ventilator for 4 patients provided they are all roughly the same size.

fraught with potential mishap, because the four patients have to not only be the same size but their lung ability have to be "in compliance" with each other, basically meaning the operating condition their lungs are at via the incoming movement of the air and the resistance they provide to it.

obviously your wife's ICU is in a "desperate measures" classification right now.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mistakey said:

ny been doing it more than when trump said to start it 7 days ago.  businesses have been asking to work from home earlier here (as they did in Washington, which did it before us, and it shows).  median to show symptoms is 5 days.  im no expert of my own, but steepening of the curve still seems bad even with the lag.  hopefully we reach an inflection point soon here

I don’t disagree with you in general, but I’d be more concerned if it’s still steepening a week or two from now. When did NY start working from home?  It started happening somewhat in LA over the past couple weeks, but I don’t think everyone started taking it completely seriously until last week. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

fraught with potential mishap, because the four patients have to not only be the same size but their lung ability have to be "in compliance" with each other, basically meaning the resistance their lungs are at via the incoming movement of the air and the resistance they provide to it.

obviously your wife's ICU is in a "desperate measures" classification right now.

Luckily they haven't had to do it yet, but they are preparing for the worst as the admission of patients is increasing and test results are coming back. It's a scary place to be right now. The trauma center that she left before she took over in this ICU is already putting two patients to a room in the MICU. 

Just now, Mega Ron said:

Is it normal for the results to take so long?

I have no idea. I'm not familiar with the testing process. I know that when my uncle initially had the testing done they told him 2-3 days. I saw something at one point that there was a shortage on the chemical used to complete the test so maybe that has something to do with it, but that was weeks ago and I know many private facilities have developed their own tests. Pretty crazy when you are reading about other countries that are getting results back within 24 hours.