Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Yeah I don’t and haven’t been wearing a mask in public 🤷🏻‍♂️ I just sanitize my hands before I go in to a store, do my best to distance myself from others while inside, then sanitize my hands when I get back in the car. Ez pz 

Daily updates:

Free stuff:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/coronavirus/

https://www.nytimes.com/news-event/coronavirus?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200520&instance_id=18629&nl=the-morning&regi_id=127802529&segment_id=28532&te=1&user_id=0ec3b530f45ff5c070e34ae9b6fc8ea1

Might be free:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/us/coronavirus-live-updates.html?type=styln-live-updates&label=u.s.&index=0#link-2daffa62

A prototype vaccine has protected monkeys from the coronavirus, researches have found.

Scientists are already testing coronavirus vaccines in people, but the initial trials are designed to determine safety, not how well a vaccine works. The research published Wednesday offers insight into what a vaccine must do to be effective and how to measure that.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/us/coronavirus-live-updates.html?type=styln-live-updates&label=u.s.&index=0#link-2daffa62

1 hour ago, acowboys62 said:

Then why aren't more businesses allowed to be open in certain areas? 

I personally believe we should be re-opening more quickly with masks and other regulations but I also understand the desire to do it in a more deliberate and careful way, given the potential consequences (the most serious of which is potential future lockdowns imo)

About 1,000 page ago, weren't you more on board with a herd immunity approach?  Doesn't masks seem to go 100% against that? I could be remembering very wrong and/or have the wrong poster.  

Not saying that approach would be better, just genuinely asking if you have changed your outlook on this.  And I do agree, low price to pay for sure, but I also have a rather close group of infection disease doctors and nurses who all acknowledge it is stupid but you "just deal with it" and I have never been a fan of that concept/mentality. 

I had to wear a mask at a damn farmers market the other day, 100% outside and the stands were roughly 10ft apart and the personnel behind them were behind plexiglass and the product/fruit all had a chipotle style protective covering over them.  Honestly, I am probably just annoyed at how far my area is taking these measures.  Wearing the mask inside a pharmacy/grocery store I get. 

I wouldn't say my views of have changed much although certainly its important to adapt our views as new evidence comes out on things like masks and vaccine timelines. 

The so called "herd immunity" approach is not the opposite of flattening the curve, in fact I'd argue they are perfectly complimentary strategies.  If we want to isolate and protect the vulnerable while allowing the rest of us to go back to our lives and accepting there will be cases and we will slowly build immunity then we need to take some precautions to avoid a huge spike in cases that would overwhelmed our healthcare system and cause another lockdown (basically what happened in NYC in March).  

I will say there is increasing evidence IMO that suggests we may be able to prevent another large scale outbreak and keep the majority of Americans from getting sick because:

1. There's increasing evidence from other countries epidemic curves on the value of masks and other simple, low cost precautions to suppress outbreaks.  If you asked me a month or two ago whether masks would stop a massive wave, I would've said probably not.  Now I'm leaning towards masks and other precautions like plexiglass and distancing when possible could allow us all to go back to our lives AND keep the curve flat.  But we'll have to take it one step at a time and see how it goes. 

2. News on the vaccine front has been way more positive than most people expected.  It now seems realistic (although not a guarantee) we may have one or more effective vaccines being produced at mass scale by the end of 2020, which was on the wildly optimistic end of the spectrum a month or two ago, in which case taking these precautions for a few extra months to save a few hundred thousands lives, potentially, is a fair trade off IMO 

I have always been against any strategy that is predicated on getting cases down to zero and keeping us in lockdown until that time.  That is crazy.  But if we ca keep cases much lower by doing basic stuff that doesn't really negatively impact people's lives, that's great.  That will allow us all to get back to work and doing the things we love and seeing friends and family again.  So I'm happy to wear a mask in a crowded place around strangers.  I agree with you some of the mask regulations (like wearing a mask on the beach for example) are going too far and that some people who are going further than the regulations (wearing a mask when running for example) don't really understand the point of masks and / or are nuts, but whatever.  Its not a huge deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

It is hardly an idiots chore, we are all entitled to have our opinion, nothing idiotic about that.  I wear mine, I have no choice and it is not a big enough deal that I am going to die on some hill over it. Does not mean I like it and I think when a lot of people wear them wrong I have a right to question how effective this whole process really is. Is it better than nothing, absolutely agreed, what % of better, who knows.   

As you said, it’s better than nothing and is meant to protect others from you, not the other way around.

Anyone who’s not willing to take such a small, simple measure to help insure the health and safety of the more vulnerable members of their community are either idiots or lacking moral character.  In my opinion of course.

• Like 3

I had to wear a mask at a damn farmers market the other day, 100% outside and the stands were roughly 10ft apart and the personnel behind them were behind plexiglass and the product/fruit all had a chipotle style protective covering over them.  Honestly, I am probably just annoyed at how far my area is taking these measures.  Wearing the mask inside a pharmacy/grocery store I get. 

Unless it's crowded or people have health issues it seems like they'd be better off not wearing a mask in that situation

Lowe's by me has been reckless too, I sware with so many people home it has been more crowded than normal.  Zero restrictions on amount of people and they only have open the outside checkouts and the self checkouts so the lines are extremely long and of course about 3 ft apart when stacked down the aisles.  

Yep, same here.

Been there too many times, water sensor + batter backup (with emergency pump) well worth the investment if you are in a high flood prone area.  I spent the extra bucks and haven't had the issue since but at a minimum makes me feel better. 

Yeah I went all in.  Doubled the pump rate on the primary, backup with the same rate at the one I replaced, battery backup, etc.  Expensive, but like you said, should be well worth it.

• Like 1