Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Just now, ET80 said:

Kindergarteners is a MS Teams link - my daughter knows YouTube videos and such, but doesn't know how to manage a Teams calendar.

So... that's been fun.

This is a bunch of google docs and ish on a chrome book with vague instructions and no actual 1:1 time scheduled.  One “class” meeting per week.

The effing duped us.  Don’t call it “virtual learning” if I’m homeschooling my kid.  There’s a list of ish we need to buy for science experiments that they’re to conduct at home.  Some are over days or weeks, like my living room is a damned laboratory.  Isn’t this what the teachers should be doing?  If that’s the weekly assignment, record the thing and let them watch the video and answer the questions from there.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is a bunch of google docs and ish on a chrome book with vague instructions and no actual 1:1 time scheduled.  One “class” meeting per week.

The effing duped us.  Don’t call it “virtual learning” if I’m homeschooling my kid.  There’s a list of ish we need to buy for science experiments that they’re to conduct at home.  Some are over days or weeks, like my living room is a damned laboratory.  Isn’t this what the teachers should be doing?  If that’s the weekly assignment, record the thing and let them watch the video and answer the questions from there.  

At the risk of playing Devil's Advocate to your very real frustrations that I can't comprehend because no kids, I would say that the ridiculous focus on trying to salvage in person classes meant that the "stay at home" was always going to be poorly executed.

Again, not saying your complaints aren't valid. I just feel for the teachers who have to actually throw this **** together. They've been given no money, no other real resources, and no time. That sucks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

At the risk of playing Devil's Advocate to your very real frustrations that I can't comprehend because no kids, I would say that the ridiculous focus on trying to salvage in person classes meant that the "stay at home" was always going to be poorly executed.

Again, not saying your complaints aren't valid. I just feel for the teachers who have to actually throw this **** together. They've been given no money, no other real resources, and no time. That sucks.

I’m not blaming the teachers, I hope it didn’t come off like that, I’m blaming the setup from the top down.

Im also blaming the description of the program.  Homeschooling and learning remotely are two very different concepts imo.  

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not blaming the teachers, I hope it didn’t come off like that, I’m blaming the setup from the top down.

Im also blaming the description of the program.  Homeschooling and learning remotely are two very different concepts imo.  

It didn't really, it came off as just general frustration. Which I completely get. 

• Like 1

That is extremely BS for them to do and to put on you (parents) and the kids. How would one ever justify you having to pay a full load of property tax for something like that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

That is extremely BS for them to do and to put on you (parents) and the kids. How would one ever justify you having to pay a full load of property tax for something like that. 

What are you talking about with regards to the last sentence?

So it seems the “virtual learning option” for the boys is actually just a homeschooling course with a teacher you can email.

Well done folks.

My wife's school is offering that, or the kids can webcam in for the class.  I thought the latter was a really nice option actually.  

Yeah they should have more accurately described what they were doing.

I do feel bad for the teachers though in the districts that are doing a more comprehensive home school curriculum, plus the in school stuff.  That's a lot of time, and teachers already work 10-14 hour days as it is.

Centerville (They’re all online) and us (should we go that route) K1-12 are Google Meet, Google Hangouts, Virtual videos created by teachers daily 10-15 minutes, followed by 30 minutes of Q/A for follow up, and then a 30 minute reinforcement activity. Strange your district didn’t do something similar. 

16 minutes ago, theJ said:

My wife's school is offering that, or the kids can webcam in for the class.  I thought the latter was a really nice option actually.  

It’s really that simple.  Webcam.

14 minutes ago, theJ said:

Yeah they should have more accurately described what they were doing.

I do feel bad for the teachers though in the districts that are doing a more comprehensive home school curriculum, plus the in school stuff.  That's a lot of time, and teachers already work 10-14 hour days as it is.

They totally misled us as to what it would be.

As far as dividing the work, you’d think some teachers would be dedicated to virtual and others to in person, but idk...

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Centerville (They’re all online) and us (should we go that route) K1-12 are Google Meet, Google Hangouts, Virtual videos created by teachers daily 10-15 minutes, followed by 30 minutes of Q/A for follow up, and then a 30 minute reinforcement activity. Strange your district didn’t do something similar. 

They literally bought a canned homeschooling curriculum.  Now, that’s not an issue, probably a great idea tbh instead of reinventing the wheel, but there should be some sort of supplemental instruction paired with that. One class meeting per week, one of the two teachers has “office hours” for one hour per weekday.

Office hours (hour). Via email.  For 10 year olds.

It’s been a while since my education about adolescent development, but I’m thinking that’s not exactly ideal.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They literally bought a canned homeschooling curriculum.  Now, that’s not an issue, probably a great idea tbh instead of reinventing the wheel, but there should be some sort of supplemental instruction paired with that. One class meeting per week, one of the two teachers has “office hours” for one hour per weekday.

Office hours (hour). Via email.  For 10 year olds.

It’s been a while since my education about adolescent development, but I’m thinking that’s not exactly ideal.

You live in Warren County, right? If so, I’ll leave it at that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As far as dividing the work, you’d think some teachers would be dedicated to virtual and others to in person, but idk...

Unfortunately some districts haven’t been as accommodating to staff. Oh, and you’ll like this:

New guidance from the Trump administration could send teachers back into their classrooms after potentially being exposed to the new coronavirus, bypassing quarantine rules as "critical infrastructure workers."