Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

12 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You totally misunderstood me, bc I'm not complaining about it not happening.  My issue is with those who think everything should remain shut down until there is a viable vaccine. 

Who’s saying this?  I haven’t seen it.  People think some things should be shut down or significantly altered until there’s a vaccine.  There are some things that are simply too risky to engage in at the moment, but not everything.

Let’s use a current event people were discussing a page or two back, Sturgis.  There’s nothing wrong with a bike rally.  In fact, people going out and riding is perfectly safe (as it relates to covid) and rallies can be as well if people would distance a bit and wear a mask.  If those two things happen everything is kosher, people are happy, the town makes a ton of money and life presses on.

But no, the governor refuses to mandate masks, doesn’t even encourage them tbh, and people meet up and spread it back to at least 7 states as of now. 

This was completely avoidable with simple measures.

That someone suggested that kids are dying bc they are going back to school when the opposite is true.

I hate to be the one to tell you, but keeping kids home wasn’t really about the kids (not entirely anyway), it’s about slowing the spread to others.

Do you have kids?  If you do, you should understand immediately, but if not I’ll spell it out.  They aren’t great about hygiene and personal space.  If they contract it, they’re likely fine, but when the go hug mom who may be going through chemo or grammy who’s on the wrong side of 80, things go bad quickly.

Someone used the whole, 1 death is too high of price line, which is total bs. 

It’s not one death, it’s one preventable death.  And if you’re arguing the suicides and such, that’s fine, but save it unless you support everyone actually having access to affordable mental health care or you’re not in any way arguing in good faith.  You can’t only care about this stuff when it supports an agenda.  

Also, like I said earlier, ignoring a pandemic because of another health issue isn’t how healthcare works, you can treat both simultaneously.

It's time to resume life, we have to do it safely, be smart about it, wear masks when social distancing isnt possible, wash hands regularly, take extra precautions for those at high risk, but people need to realize that waaaaay more people are going to die if we fall into another Great Depression.

And again, this starts with people getting their heads out of their rear ends and actually doing those first few things (which many are not), not the other way around.  You can’t just open everything up and expect things to get better. There’s an order of operations that had to be followed.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:
13 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The hospitals never got overwhelmed which was the fear.  

that's an idiotic opinion. it's so far from reality

I glossed over this, holy moly - really

Hospitals didn't exceed capacity, but to say they didn't get overwhelmed is so off center.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

that's an idiotic opinion. it's so far from reality.

Right? 

I regularly get emails with offers for travel assignments.  Last one (a week or two ago) was $5500 per week in LA.  Some as high as like 10k a week.    

It’s not a bed shortage you need to worry about, accommodations can be made, it’s people to “work” those beds.  You can’t pull an extra few thousand nurses, MD’s, RT’s, etc out of thin air or expect current staff to work 60 hours per week.

Most large hospitals frequently run at 80-90% capacity (or more, especially in the winter months) pre-covid.  Like most things, bean counters are running tight budgets and there’s not an excess of staff or beds.

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Could be a false positive, could just be a mild case.  People in his demographic often have a rough go of things, but let’s hope he does well.

for reference 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/investigations-discovery/hospitalization-death-by-age.html

I know you are one RN out of many, but is there any thought on why people with mild cases wouldn't get tested?  I know I've had 2-3 summer colds over my lifetime, but with how heightened we are about Covid at work, I would certainly get a test even if it was mild symptoms.  

17 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I'll definitely be interested in hearing the results of your test then, for sure. Very strange.

I suspect that whatever it is, my 3 year old brought it up home from school.  They just went back last week.

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:
13 minutes ago, vike daddy said:
13 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The hospitals never got overwhelmed which was the fear.  

that's an idiotic opinion. it's so far from reality

I glossed over this, holy moly - really

Hospitals didn't exceed capacity, but to say they didn't get overwhelmed is so off center.

Yeah....rationing of the supplies needed to disinfection treatment rooms and clinic space is not being overwhelmed. 

• Like 2

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

I know you are one RN out of many, but is there any thought on why people with mild cases wouldn't get tested?  I know I've had 2-3 summer colds over my lifetime, but with how heightened we are about Covid at work, I would certainly get a test even if it was mild symptoms.  

Why do people smoke?  Why are people 350 pounds?  People do dumb stuff. I’ve taken care of someone on an insulin drip in an ICU due to DKA and walked in on them eating a candy bar and drinking a 20oz Coke. On. An. Insulin. Drip.

And let’s be honest, many people don’t even think this is a thing.  If you think it’s a hoax, are you going to then go get tested?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I hate to be the one to tell you, but keeping kids home wasn’t really about the kids (not entirely anyway), it’s about slowing the spread to others.

Do you have kids?  If you do, you should understand immediately, but if not I’ll spell it out.  They aren’t great about hygiene and personal space.  If they contract it, they’re likely fine, but when the go hug mom who may be going through chemo or grammy who’s on the wrong side of 80, things go bad quickly.

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

I suspect that whatever it is, my 3 year old brought it up home from school.  They just went back last week.

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

Yep.  I figured them going back would get me sick.  It always does.  I was just hoping it wouldn't happen so quickly ha.

Don't underestimate this thing. If you feel some of the worst symptoms early on, don't think you're over it if they fade away a few days in. They can come back much worse, and you need to keep doing the right things all the way through just in case. 

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Why do people smoke?  Why are people 350 pounds?  People do dumb stuff. I’ve taken care of someone on an insulin drip in an ICU due to DKA and walked in on them eating a candy bar and drinking a 20oz Coke. On. An. Insulin. Drip.

And let’s be honest, many people don’t even think this is a thing.  If you think it’s a hoax, are you going to then go get tested?

I mean, until recently I was over 350, but the reason I went over were beyond my control, but getting there was totally within my control.  But I get what you are saying.  

I know that we do temp screenings and we will send people home, and they either have to come back with a doctors note or pass the screening 24 hours later.  Thankfully we have people at work getting tested, whether they actually had it, or were in close proximity to people that did.  I'll also be honest and say that I don't think I've come across anyone, whether work, church or even Facebook friends, who think it's a hoax.  I did have someone at a church function last Thursday essentially tell me I was crazy for not recycling things because Covid is blown out of proportion, but I told them I was only following instructions from the pastor and to take it up with him.  I also told him that he could take the bag of trash with him.  Of course, he declined.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mega Ron said:

It was ******* disgusting. But I didn't end up in hospital on a murder machine/ventilator.

I thought I would get this response from you b/c I thought I remembered you telling people how much that breathing treatment helped you. Maybe antibodies are still around b/c your case was so severe? I dunno. Glad you're good though.