Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't say 93% of protests were violent to minimize the other 7%. I agree that the 7% of protests that were violent should get more coverage per capita than the other 93%, and I agree that 7% is far too high.

But I was responding to someone that was saying "what did you think about the riots/protests overall". And the facts are that the majority of them are peaceful. Neutral coverage of the protests should acknowledge that fact, just like any public policy discussion on COVID should discuss that 99.X% of people will recover.

Agreed, I do think they should be spoken about separately because they really are separate issues.  Protests actually have a point and an end goal, the riots are just that.  

• Like 1

Just now, acowboys62 said:

I actually have never paid attention to smoking laws outside of when NJ/NY setup rules about how far from a building entrance someone had to be (which was a great change) but not smoking with a kid in the car should be in every state, hands down.  

Every time I go to NYC, my coworkers and clients always just light up right next to entrances. I don't smoke but I join them for as much fresh air as NYC has to offer.

You are right though about smoking w/ kids in the car. I can't think of too many things that infuriate me more than that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SwAg said:

“I think the humanity of an entire race of people is dependent upon whether the manifestation of their outrage is within our comfort zone.”

That’s you talking about rioting.

"As long as they don't break any windows or tag the walls its totally fine. I'll even bring them water if they're being nice about it."

5 minutes ago, SwAg said:

“I think the humanity of an entire race of people is dependent upon whether the alleged manifestation of their outrage is within my comfort zone.”

So I see you edited the second part out, but luckily it was caught in the quoting from someone else...you seem to do this a lot, who exactly are you speaking to "That’s you talking about rioting."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Imagine trying to argue in bad faith on the internet in 2020.

I always enjoy the conversation.  Yeah, there is principle involved, and unpopular speech is protected, but dangerous speech is not.  Nor is democracy at great threat by that occurrence.

In fact, several nations with a higher rating on the freedom index and democratic health index have more restrictive mechanisms for assessing speech.  Tbh, Canada’s is probably better than America’s free speech legal analysis (America‘s free speech legal analysis is predictably stupid).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SwAg said:

“I think the humanity of an entire race of people is dependent upon whether the alleged manifestation of their outrage is within my comfort zone.”

I can agree with the cause and try to empathize with their righteous anger without condoning every method used. Sometimes life is simple but this is a very nuanced thing IMO.

I know that's harder in 2020 because so many people try to deliberately conflate the two, but in my own head it's possible for both things to be true, and I don't think it makes me a hypocrite either.

1 minute ago, SwAg said:

I always enjoy the conversation.  Yeah, there is principle involved, and unpopular speech is protected, but dangerous speech is not.  Nor is democracy at great threat by that occurrence.

In fact, several nations with a higher rating on the freedom index and democratic health index have more restrictive mechanisms for assessing speech.  Tbh, Canada’s is probably better than America’s free speech legal analysis (America‘s free speech legal analysis is predictably stupid).

Isn't 1st amendment law some of the most complicated?

2 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

So I see you edited the second part out, but luckily it was caught in the quoting from someone else...you seem to do this a lot, who exactly are you speaking to "That’s you talking about rioting."

I hardly every edit the content of my posts.

I dropped the final part due to lack of clarity and make it more joke-like, and added several words to the body to accurately convey factual information.

But, I’m not sure how you could be confused as to the people that I would be ambiguously referring toward based on the commentary so far.