Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

4 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

I will say, I do appreciate the mods allowing this to stay open. It’s an important topic for discussion. 

Me too! 

And everyone, when you’re upset, just take out your anger on Florida instead. 

14 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-09-11/Hundreds-of-thousands-have-been-given-Chinese-COVID-19-vaccines-THnoo6BcFG/index.html

This can't be bad, right? Some might find it hard to believe bc of the nation reporting it but I'm an optimist so I'm gonna say it's good. 

If we discount the source, sure, great.  

Of course if we discount the source, Elvis is still alive.

https://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines/176795/elvis-seen-at-graceland-on-his-85th-birthday/ 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TVScout said:

THIRD of UK Covid victims in July and August 'died from OTHER causes' - including cancer or being hit by a car - Oxford University scientists reveal

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8750139/Scientists-claim-UK-covid-19-victims-July-August-died-causes.html

Uh oh. This is my exit from this thread. 

See y'all in a week or so

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Is cgtn not a reputable source? I know nothing about it.

No clue, never heard of it.

I was referring to their source.

8 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Well the title is referring to UK cases, not US cases.

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
6 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Well the title is referring to UK cases, not US cases.

Also the headline is classic bait and switch bull**** from a tabloid.

No scientist is putting their name behind the idea that 1/3 of those in those months were improperly recorded. What they found was that the comorbidity rate in those months were higher than in others (a jump from 7.8% to 28.8%, well below "one third"), so Oxford flagged them for a second look to make sure things are correct and not misreported. This is a normal thing that happen with all scientific data; anytime we see irregularities, we check to see if we're misreporting data or if the data truly did change. But that's not going to stop a tabloid known for pushing propaganda and conspiracy theories from running with a complete misrepresentation of what is being said.

And the car crash example is coming from a situation where a man who had COVID passed out while driving his car and died in a car accident, and as best as doctors could tell, he passed out because of the effect of the virus on his respiratory system. Which does in fact mean that COVID contributed to his death, even if not in the traditional sense; so it goes in as a secondary cause, death by car crash, exacerbated by condition created due to COVID.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, pwny said:

Also the headline is classic bait and switch bull**** from a tabloid.

No scientist is putting their name behind the idea that 1/3 of those in those months were improperly recorded. What they found was that the comorbidity rate in those months were higher than in others (a jump from 7.8% to 28.8%, well below "one third"), so Oxford flagged them for a second look to make sure things are correct and not misreported. This is a normal thing that happen with all scientific data; anytime we see irregularities, we check to see if we're misreporting data or if the data truly did change. But that's not going to stop a tabloid known for pushing propaganda and conspiracy theories from running with a complete misrepresentation of what is being said.

And the car crash example is coming from a situation where a man who had COVID passed out while driving his car and died in a car accident, and as best as doctors could tell, he passed out because of the effect of the virus on his respiratory system. Which does in fact mean that COVID contributed to his death, even if not in the traditional sense; so it goes in as a secondary cause, death by car crash, exacerbated by condition created due to COVID.

I didn’t even clink the link tbh.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pwny said:

No scientist is putting their name behind the idea that 1/3 of those in those months were improperly recorded.

Don't need to. The article is about the UK government violating WHO standards.

"

Dr Jason Oke, of the Centre of Evidence Based Medicine at the university, told The Telegraph: 'The true death rate is important to know as it gives us an idea of impact.

'Clearly Covid was having a massive impact in March and April, but we need to now know if the disease is taking the same toll as before. The impact now seems to be lessening and, if true, which it certainly looks like at the moment as there is not the same fatality rate, then that will guide decisions on managing risk, so it's important to get this number right.'   ....... The Government has added those who did not die primarily from Covid-19 to its official lists even though the World Health Organisation has said that even if coronavirus appears on a death certificate as a significant factor in the death it should not be included."