Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

25 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

When can we conceivably expect a vaccine? 

I believe a vaccine could be approved by December at the earliest. But you still have to mass produce and distribute. Then depending on which vaccine it is, it could require two doses. So that extends the time needed to get enough for everyone. I think the expert assessment is hoping by Summer '21, but potentially longer. Healthcare/front line workers will be Spring and countrywide by Winter is my guesstimate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I believe a vaccine could be approved by December at the earliest. But you still have to mass produce and distribute. Then depending on which vaccine it is, it could require two doses. So that extends the time needed to get enough for everyone. I think the expert assessment is hoping by Summer '21, but potentially longer. Healthcare/front line workers will be Spring and countrywide by Winter is my guesstimate.

Aren't they already producing quite a bit in anticipation of it being approved?

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

I'm mostly just wondering when health care workers can get it and high risk people.  I'm not to worried about when it will be available for a guy like me

Same.  I have a very strong immune system. Other than the two weird sicknesses I had earlier this year, I don't think I've even got a cold in 3 years.

Hopefully by year's end, early next year for them getting the vaccine. 

https://alkhaleejtoday.co/business/5304566/CEO-of-pharmaceutical-company-AstraZeneca-Vaccine-ready-in-December-in-….html

One example here. Others exist as well

• Like 1

Rumblings around the internet is that Pfizer's early data is suggesting that their vaccine is 90% effective. I haven't had time to read past the headlines this morning. Huge news if true. Hopefully it's equally as effective in the elderly. May speed up our journey back to normalcy. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Rumblings around the internet is that Pfizer's early data is suggesting that their vaccine is 90% effective. I haven't had time to read past the headlines this morning. Huge news if true. Hopefully it's equally as effective in the elderly. May speed up our journey back to normalcy. 

Yep, that's what I woke up to also.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-vaccine-candidate-against

**** a government. This will be what saves us. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Science is the GOAT.

Absolutely. Why people don't buy into it is beyond me. Always been fascinated by it, never could understand it. 

I don't know what general success rates are but the usually very smart people in r/covid19 are absolutely losing their **** over these numbers so I'll take it that this is better than they thought. 

11 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

This is accurate. Pfizer's CEO is doing press on it now.

Let's get weird. 

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-vaccine-candidate-against

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Absolutely. Why people don't buy into it is beyond me. Always been fascinated by it, never could understand it. 

I don't know what general success rates are but the usually very smart people in r/covid19 are absolutely losing their **** over these numbers so I'll take it that this is better than they thought. 

90% is game changing. I believe the influenza vaccine is about 70% effective. I doubt even the most optimistic person thought the first round of vaccines would have one with 90% effectiveness. Best news of the pandemic, bar none. 

Inject that into my veins! I'll be one of the first to get it as I work in healthcare. Can't wait to hangout with friends and not worry how close we are to each other.

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WizeGuy said:

90% is game changing if true. I believe the influenza vaccine is about 70% effective. I doubt even the most optimistic person thought the first round of vaccines would have one with 90% effectiveness. Best news of the pandemic, bar none. 

MoL did tbh

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This one is easy to describe in plain English. They had 50,000 people on this trial in the worst plague we've had in 100 years, and less than 100 people got it. 0.2% of people were infected.

This thing ******* works.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

90% is game changing. I believe the influenza vaccine is about 70% effective. I doubt even the most optimistic person thought the first round of vaccines would have one with 90% effectiveness. Best news of the pandemic, bar none. 

Inject that into my veins! I'll be one of the first to get it as I work in healthcare. Can't wait to hangout with friends and not worry how close we are to each other.

70% for the flu???? Wow. Yeah, this does put the info perspective. This is better news then I thought. 

They can license this out to manufacturers, right?? Can other people start making this with their blueprint??

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This one is easy to describe in plain English. They had 50,000 people on this trial in the worst plague we've had in 100 years, and less than 100 people got it. 0.2% of people were infected.

This thing ******* works.

Yeah I just didn't know what else to compare it to buy Wizes comment with the flu success rate gave me a great idea. This is excellent news, for sure.