Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

22 hours ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

^^ Same happened in Brazil. In some poor communities in Rio herd immunity was reached 45 days after the first death there. Those effing morons at WHO don't understand the difference between developing countries and rich countries and proposed the same protocols for every country.. Especially on the big cities in developing countries where the poor people live condensed on a much smaller area  and also with much more family members per household than in rich countries the lockdowns actually hurt them more. Now they know lockdown doesn't work and are against it but it's too late.

Anyways, not sure this is the best place but its the only place you can discuss COVID, so do you think the new administration(good or bad, lets not discuss politics) may shutdown the country and thus delay the SuperBowl?  I say this because winter is kicking in and naturally cases are exploding in countries in the north hemisphere (except asia) and therefore the second wave will probably reach its peak around the start of the NFL playoffs.

No, I don’t think they will. At least not at first. Mandatory mask requirements may be the first order of business.

22 hours ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

may shutdown the country and thus delay the SuperBowl? 

The Super Bowl event is like a ocean-going supertanker - they just can't turn on a dime.
SB cities start planning 2 years in advance of the game and because the NFL will commandeer an entire city + infrastructure - its really really hard to move the date. With fewer fans in attendance, the task is a little easier - but its still a monumental effort and changes are very hard to pull off. 

On the plus side, it could be a golden opportunity to vaccinate 20k +  fans in a single day - there's a good chance we have a vaccine ready by early February

• Like 1

20 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

How would they pass it on to humans?

I don't know the specifics, but coronaviruses have passed from bats to humans in the past (SARS). From what I understand- Coronaviruses differ from influenza viruses in their ability to spread from animals to humans, which can make for some really, really concerning mutations. This is reason # 1,000,000 to get the spread under control. The more the virus spreads among humans the higher the odds it infects farmed animals, mutates, and jumps back to humans, which can have an impact on vaccine and treatment development. 

As I said, Denmark did what they could to stop the spread- notified the WHO, locked-down certain areas, and eradicated the minks being farmed, but other areas of the world won't be this diligent. *Cough* Utah *Cough*

Edited by WizeGuy

19 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

The Super Bowl event is like a ocean-going supertanker - they just can't turn on a dime.
SB cities start planning 2 years in advance of the game and because the NFL will commandeer an entire city + infrastructure - its really really hard to move the date. With fewer fans in attendance, the task is a little easier - but its still a monumental effort and changes are very hard to pull off. 

On the plus side, it could be a golden opportunity to vaccinate 20k +  fans in a single day - there's a good chance we have a vaccine ready by early February

I was involved with security planning for the Super Bowl in Detroit. The work, coordination and planning is enormous. We started two years in advance. The security planning involved 20 agencies.

• Like 1

Each area police department and there are a bunch. Additionally, customs and immigration FBI, NORAD, FAA, Nav Canada, Transport Canada, RCMP,  the secret service as observers, different representatives of your military. 

I actually told the FBI lead that I wouldn’t be attending more meetings until the different police departments resolved jurisdictional issues. There were so many representatives from police departments that the first meeting in Detroit was nothing but a bun fight. Detroit was especially complex because of Detroit’s location. Airspace restrictions and river security involved two countries.

• Like 1

COVID testing question

IF you are getting a nasal/throat swab for PCR testing....is it possible to test positive without actually being "infected" ?
In other words- if you had breathed in some small amount of virus and its literally sitting there in your nose, but hasn't penetrated your cells yet- would there be enough material for the PCR test to pick it up ?

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

I feel like this has been said way too often; but I hope this finally makes some people take this seriously. 

I doubt it though. 

If the President getting it didn't make people take it seriously this will have zero effect.  

Can't believe how stupid/lazy/irresponsible some people are when it comes to this thing.  Wear a ******* mask.