Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

17 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Their immune systems arent fully developed and react differently. There are flu vaccines distinctly developed for pediatrics, for instance. The standard flu vaccine is usually approved for 6 months and higher but is only recommended for 12+. I know my company's policy was to only administer the pedi vaccine to those under 12. 

Given that this is a new method of vaccine, I still wish they'd study this more on pediatrics. Even if we don't end up administering it to every kid or even any kid, if mRNA vaccines are going to become a major part of vaccinations period, how they react here would help.

Same comment with pregnant women, except since the vaccines would be administered IV/SC and shouldn't be able to cross the placental barrier, in an ideal world we'd learn that there are no complications with pregnancy period.

23 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Gonna need to know the age of those patients before I judge whether or not that hangover was really "severe" or not. No human being under the age of 25 has ever been severely hung over.

What I would give to be college hungover again.  Saturday nights have started rolling over into the next week...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Gonna need to know the age of those patients before I judge whether or not that hangover was really "severe" or not. No human being under the age of 25 has ever been severely hung over.

I feel like that age number gets greater the more "in the heart of the Midwest" you get as well. Let's check:

EmbeyrCVoAECNYC.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Given that this is a new method of vaccine, I still wish they'd study this more on pediatrics. Even if we don't end up administering it to every kid or even any kid, if mRNA vaccines are going to become a major part of vaccinations period, how they react here would help.

Same comment with pregnant women, except since the vaccines would be administered IV/SC and shouldn't be able to cross the placental barrier, in an ideal world we'd learn that there are no complications with pregnancy period.

even with the flu vaccine there are wildly different state mandates about pregnant women and the flu shot. In some they can't get it at all and in some, like NH, there are ZERO restrictions. It's crazy that there is so much debate.

That being said, its mostly about the mercury in the preservative of the vaccine. It's my understanding that there wont be any mercury in the preservative for this covid vaccine so pregnant women would hopefully be fine getting it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

poor choice of words. It IS peer reviewed and thusly can be viewed with a degree of certainty. It would not be published without significant merit and considering there are plenty of other examples I have offered to back it up, again I can be confident in these assessments.

Please, provide them. I didn't see any that refuted the ones I provided. 

There was an in-depth report not supporting the schools as superspreading places. However, here you have a review (which is written by using info from many peer-reviewed articles):

https://journals.lww.com/co-infectiousdiseases/Abstract/2020/12000/COVID_19_in_children__current_evidence_and_key.16.aspx

Some quotes from the article:

"Children do not appear to have played a significantrole in propagation of the first wave of the pandemic.Evidence suggests they are less susceptible to acquiringthe infection then adults."

"The question of how infectious a child may be oncethere is active infection has been difficult to eluci-date. In the Netherlands and Iceland, tracing datahave found that transmission from children to otherchildren or adults has been very rare, with themajority occurring between adults, and sometimesfrom adults to children . However, as thesestudies are generally biased towards testing of symp-tomatic individuals, it is possible that transmissionbetween children could have been overlooked, orthat due to school closures children have not hadsufficient exposure to become infected and transmitonwards. Lack of evidence of significant transmis-sion within school environments"

"Interest in schools has intensified as many northernhemisphere societies plan for their reopening fol-lowing a summer break, with many having beenclosed for over 6 months. Several studies have beenconducted into transmission of COVID-19 withinthe school environment from around the world.Early data from France in a secondary school locatedin an area of high transmission documented a veryhigh rate of seroprevalence in a high school, at over40% of pupils and staff. This was much higher thanthe 10.9% of pupil’s family members, implying a significant amount of transmission occurred within the school environment. However, 205 out of the242 children in the study were aged 15 or over, withonly one of the 37 children aged 14 years or under being seropositive [28]. In contrast, a study from thesame area within a primary school found no evi-dence of transmission within the school environ-ment and higher seropositivity in the households ofpupils (12%) than in school pupils (8.8%) "

"Children do not appear to have played a significant role inamplifying transmission of COVID-19 so far and transmission in schools appears predominantly low, although in the setting of widespread community transmission outbreaks have occurred."

If you can't read the article use sci-hub.se to get it.

46 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This may be more suited to the stock thread, but in general, I strongly believe that people who aren't professional investors should just buy index funds because picking individual stocks is too risky and non pros usually can't cherry pick bigger their way than market average gains .

But...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, VonKarman said:

And your second paragraph is simply false. In the country where I live (Spain) we are also having huge superspreading events and still none of them have been traced back to schools. There's still much work to do, but as I sead there is no conclusive evidence (I am not saying it is true or false though, just that we need more proof).

The paragraph you were referencing stated the higher viral load means a higher chance of transmission. That is undeniable and irrefutable. There is no need for additional research on that particular point. 

The article also stated that children tended to have higher viral loads than adults, which is why the conclusion drawn is that kids are super spreaders. They dont know they are sick, while simultaneously being more likely to transmit the virus to others. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This may be more suited to the stock thread, but in general, I strongly believe that people who aren't professional investors should just buy index funds because picking individual stocks is too risky and non pros usually can't cherry pick bigger their way than market average gains .

But...

To be fair, neither can most pros. I believe there was a paper showing some of the best pros were beaten by a monkey at stock picking lol.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N4L said:

The paragraph you were referencing stated the higher viral load means a higher chance of transmission. That is undeniable and irrefutable.

I never disputed that (seems like a strawman falacy what you are doing). I was only saying there is no enough evidence to state without any doubt that kids classes are superspreader events. Nothing else.

1 hour ago, VonKarman said:

I never disputed that (seems like a strawman falacy what you are doing). I was only saying there is no enough evidence to state without any doubt that kids classes are superspreader events. Nothing else.

8 hours ago, N4L said:

The article also stated that children tended to have higher viral loads than adults, which is why the conclusion drawn is that kids are super spreaders. They dont know they are sick, while simultaneously being more likely to transmit the virus to others. 

Probably easier than typing this again. 

You aren't reading the original article, you aren't reading what I am writing, just using words you have no understanding of (straw man) so you definitely aren't worth my time ... But since I'm here I'll give you one more sentence 

Higher viral loads while being less symptomatic are exactly why kids are more likely to transmit the virus. Cannot state it any more clearly than that 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, N4L said:

Probably easier than typing this again. 

You aren't reading the original article, you aren't reading what I am writing, just using words you have no understanding of (straw man) so you definitely aren't worth my time ... But since I'm here I'll give you one more sentence 

Higher viral loads while being less symptomatic are exactly why kids are more likely to transmit the virus. Cannot state it any more clearly than that 

And now it's an ad hominem. Keep it with the falacies. Yes, higher viral loads lead to a higher transmission. Being asymptomatic makes it hard to detect if you are infected or not. And therefore you have to be careful with kids. I never disputed that. I'm just saying that there is no conclusive evidence on children being superspreaders and I quoted scientific articles stating that (who's not reading the articles, then?). There are arguments for both cases. It's a complex matter that you cannot simplify to higher viral load and being asymptomatic. This is a multi-variable problem and it will take some time to fully understand what is going on.

Maybe I wasn't making myself clear before (English is not my mother tongue). I'm not saying we should ignore children's role in virus transmission, I'm not saying open/close the schools or anything close to that (I have not enough knowledge to make a strong argument in favor or against). I was just saying hold your horses before you make such a strong statement and I provided some reports that supported that view. Nothing else.

On 11/11/2020 at 1:30 AM, Deadpulse said:

With studies showing that children are super spreaders

I was just saying hold your horses before you make such a strong statement

There are arguments for both cases.

Where is the strong statement that kicked this argument off for you? That I said there are studies showing it? There are right? You just said it yourself... so again, where is your dispute? I know I stepped out of this discussion but I just don't understand where your gripe is here.