Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

14 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You've got to consider the costs. This vaccine is going for $20/dose, so that's your budget. If it costs more than $20 to identify which person shouldn't get it and exclude them from the list, but still make sure they're flagged as immune for their employer or airline and whatnot, it's easier and cheaper to just dose them.

A valid point and it does make sense. 

1 hour ago, acowboys62 said:

Makes me wonder what else the collective minds can solve if this much energy and money was dumped into a whole lot of problems in the world.  Maybe one day. 

Excellent question. You should call your representatives and ask them why we keep cutting funding to the NIH even though it's an overwhelmingly profitable use of public funds.

https://www.nih.gov/about-nih/what-we-do/impact-nih-research/our-society

NIH Research Drives Economic Growth

• NIH investments in research focused on a particular area stimulate increased private investment in the same area.6 A $1.00 increase in public basic research stimulates an additional $8.38 of industry R&D investment after 8 years. A $1.00 increase in public clinical research stimulates an additional $2.35 of industry R&D investment after 3 years.7
  • The NIH’s Human Genome Project (HGP) has resulted in nearly $1 trillion of economic growth—a 178-fold return on investment—at a cost of only $2 per year for each U.S. resident.8
  • NIH-funded basic research fuels the entry of new drugs into the market and provides a positive return to public investment of 43%, by some estimates.9,10

Healthier Citizens Lead to a Healthier Economy

• Research-related gains in average life expectancy for the period from 1970 to 2000 have an economic value estimated at $95 trillion, about $3.2 trillion per year.12
  • Cancer death rates have been dropping by more than 1.5% annually for the past 15 years.13 Each 1% reduction in cancer deaths has a present value of nearly $500 billion to current and future generations of Americans. A full cure would be worth approximately $50 trillion—more than three times today’s GDP.14
  • Thanks to the development of cochlear implants, which resulted in part from NIH-supported research, children with severe hearing loss can regain the ability to perceive sounds and understand speech, saving them and their families the costs of specialized education and therapy, with more than 38,000 devices implanted in American children.15 Studies have shown that early implantation saves society more than $30,000 per child.16
  • The Hib vaccine, developed through NIH research to immunize young children against a bacteria that causes the most common form of childhood bacterial meningitis, is estimated to save society more than $1.8 billion in direct treatment costs for children born in 2009 alone.17
  • The CDC estimates that for children born in 2009, childhood vaccinations (many of which resulted from NIH-funded research) will save 42,000 lives, prevent 20 million cases of disease, reduce direct health care costs by $13.5 billion, and save $68.8 billion in indirect costs over their lifetimes.18
  • NIH-supported research has developed evidence-based, early childhood behavioral interventions that have positive long-term effects on substance use and related behavioral health problems in adolescence and beyond, with savings ranging from $2.88 to as much as $25.92 per dollar invested.19
  • The knowledge gained from an NIH-funded clinical trial on postmenopausal hormone therapy was found to have long-term financial and health outcomes worth an estimated $37.1 billion in net economic gain since the study was published in 2002, a return of approximately $140 on every dollar invested in the trial.20

• Like 4

Seeing a lot of anti-vaccine hot takes from people who are supposedly pro-science playing fast and loose with the facts on TV, etc.

They should know better tbh

MoL is fully supportive of the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines

Edited by mission27

37 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Seeing a lot of anti-vaccine hot takes from people who are supposedly pro-science playing fast and loose with the facts on TV, etc.

I saw a prominent women's wrestler say that she didn't trust it because they claim its over 90% effective after 1 year of testing but after 70 years the flu vaccine is only 40% like that means something. 

She then went on to say she is trusting her immune system because God gave it to her and is 99.9% effective.

People are scary. 

Also I always hated this performer. 

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Appreciate the offer lol. Doubt too many people on this forum will have high spots. 

I am. I'm a national freaking treasure - we gotta save ME.

8 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

May have given me a new cause to take up

I'm actually looking for people who will help me to ensure that Bill O'Brien never gets another job in football, ever again. Not even at the HS level.

Nobody deserves to go through what us Texans' fans went through, and I'll make it my vocation in life to see this through.

59 minutes ago, mission27 said:

You'd be amazed about the amount of people who works in Healthcare, on the front lines, who don't want any part of this. I am astounded by the number of people I keep hearing about who are in this group.

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm actually looking for people who will help me to ensure that Bill O'Brien never gets another job in football, ever again. Not even at the HS level.

Nobody deserves to go through what us Texans' fans went through, and I'll make it my vocation in life to see this through.

As long as you continue your efforts to hurt BoB's career, I'll be on board to keep you safe. I'm sure Sunday evening's events didn't settle too well w/ you and I'm sorry for that lol

• Like 1

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

As long as you continue your efforts to hurt BoB's career, I'll be on board to keep you safe. I'm sure Sunday evening's events didn't settle too well w/ you and I'm sorry for that lol

Oh no, it renewed my spirit in the fight. I nearly forgot, but that reminded me why I hate BoB, even after he was fired...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Some people just want to watch the world burn. Or in this case Houston. 

12 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Some people just want to watch the world burn. Or in this case Houston. 

What did we ever do to you...?

(Assuming you're not a Dodgers fan - we jacked them up pretty bad).

A local area school has been virtual all year, and then they've returned to in session school as of four weeks ago, and this week alone they've had almost 900 students quarantined (you read that right) and 121+ positive cases. They've just announced that effective starting after this week, they're going virtual through MLK Day 2021.

Friendly reminder what I posted back in August:

3v2AhDKkJYPTX7-P6SfMi5A-qgpgIp5OMavFUmXN

• Like 3