Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

28 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Certainly a far cry from the 2.2 million deaths in America that the Doom and gloom crowd had said early on.

Although to be fair I think that was their projection if no steps were taken to slow it down.

Yep.  But tbf if we get it to that number id also consider it a success.  We have 20k- 60k flu deaths a year and this is 10k more dangerous. 

32 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Certainly a far cry from the 2.2 million deaths in America that the Doom and gloom crowd had said early on.

Although to be fair I think that was their projection if no steps were taken to slow it down.

Anyone going that high was definitely doom and gloom far outside of what was actually happening. The American Hospital Association estimated 480,000, and that always seemed like the most reasoned guess, in my opinion at least.

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The latest from the president's press conference is that social distancing recommended to extend until April 30th, and the peak will be in about two weeks.  

Glad to hear he's put that out now rather than the week before easter. Will save lives.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

They should probably just reschedule Easter

They can't, at least from the Catholic church perspective.  My pastor finally got live stream working for mass this Sunday, and he announced our live streaming schedule for Palm Sunday and Holy Week services.  Some parts of each service will obviously be omitted or modified.  Additionally, the current plan from the Archdiocese of Washington, which I am sure is taking guidance from both the Vatican and USCCB and being implemented in other areas of the country/world, is rescheduling the adult sacraments of initiation (usually done during Easter Vigil) to the vigil of Pentecost.  

EDIT:  We have 15 people in the RCIA program, and I'm glad that they are able to do that at a later date instead of waiting until next year, which is what I actually expected to happen. 

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

They can't, at least from the Catholic church perspective.  My pastor finally got live stream working for mass this Sunday, and he announced our live streaming schedule for Palm Sunday and Holy Week services.  Some parts of each service will obviously be omitted or modified.  Additionally, the current plan from the Archdiocese of Washington, which I am sure is taking guidance from both the Vatican and USCCB and being implemented in other areas of the country/world, is rescheduling the adult sacraments of initiation (usually done during Easter Vigil) to the vigil of Pentecost.  

EDIT:  We have 15 people in the RCIA program, and I'm glad that they are able to do that at a later date instead of waiting until next year, which is what I actually expected to happen. 

I didn't know if they could or not but isn't it pretty unprecedented to even cancel church? Although most of them do have online services now

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

I didn't know if they could or not but isn't it pretty unprecedented to even cancel church? Although most of them do have online services now

All I can speak of is from the perspective of the Catholic Church.  The biggest thing about going to mass is receiving the Eucharist during communion.  If you want to learn more about this, look up the term Transubstantiation and why the Catholic church belief in that is different from communion in other Christian churches.  

In any case, it is extremely unprecedented to cancel mass like this.  In the past, your diocese or archdiocese would give an exemption for receiving communion due to weather or other natural disasters, and they've extended this exemption now because churches can't congregate in most areas based off social distancing restriction.  Sometimes, churches who also offer communion via the chalice will temporarily halt that process due to a bad flu season. This really hasn't happened before.  Guidance from our archdiocese even said to stop putting holy water out before we closed the doors.  They have also released guidance for making a "spiritual communion" as again, this is something that rarely happens.  A lot of churches even send people to hospitals, nursing homes and to other shut-in parishioners and bring them communion, so even they don't miss out on receiving it.

A lot of Catholic churches are stuck in tradition (for better and worse) and many don't have online services- we are woefully behind our fellow Christian faiths in regards to technology.  Because one of the main reasons for attending mass is communion, a lot of churches do not record anything.  If you are out of town, you would normally attend a Catholic church in that area.  For the past three weeks, I've been viewing the shut-in mass that is filmed in advance by the archdiocese (it gets put on TV and their YouTube channel.). Because they are pre-recorded, there are people attending the mass which is really weird to see right now.  This was our first live stream, and I hope that recording things (at least the sermons) will be something we continue.  

I hope that clears some things up.  I'm just glad that we are able to still proceed with the sacraments of initiation for the adults who want to join the church.  That's also an unprecedented change for a lot of people.  

• Like 3

The main parts I am aware of being Catholic myself, just not the in depth parts. 

I don't remember our church ever not having mass no matter how bad the weather was. The priest collapsed during mad and later died during holy week one year and they still had mass the next day

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

The main parts I am aware of being Catholic myself, just not the in depth parts. 

I don't remember our church ever not having mass no matter how bad the weather was. The priest collapsed during mad and later died during holy week one year and they still had mass the next day

Yeah, the priests are usually required to have their own private mass, even if the churches are closed.  There are a few parishioners who can walk to our church and even after a Saturday blizzard we still had a Sunday mass.  It was only one though, not the traditional four.  

We had a fill-in priest not feeling well and ended up needing to go to the ER, and our deacon had to go and get the pastor to finish Mass.  If the pastor wasn't available, there are usually additional consecrated hosts in the church, and it would've then turned into a Eucharistic service instead of the mass, since the priest is the only person who can consecrate the bread and wine.