Jets to re-sign OLB Jordan Jenkins

NewAge

This is the price player rep's pay when they overestimate their value. 

Usually only around 5-8 teams will really be in on a signal free agent. Jenkins probably could've landed a deal in the $10 million range had he not been asking for so much, but when he overpriced himself and held out, it became apparent that he either take less and return to what he knew or go to a team like the Patriots, who probably would've paid him around $6-8 million per year on a 3 year deal - but restricting him an opportunity to reset his market in 2021. 

The same thing is going on with Robby, and I think he's going to ultimately suffer because of it. If I were him, I would've fired my reps by now. Robby needed to cash in now. Even if he returns next year, there's no guarantee he's going to improve. The Jets are going to add more weapons, Chris Herndon will be back, and Robby will likely revert back into the 3rd option in the passing game. He'll also be 28 next year, and that will bother some considering he's so reliant on speed which could drop off at any minute. That's much different than Jenkins, who will be 26 in 2021, has all the leadership qualities teams look for, and relies more on technique/strength for his production than pure talent. He can afford to take a prove-it deal, Robby can't. Good problem for the Jets, but may end up blowing up in Robby's face. 

• Like 2

Only $5 million. That’s a great deal. As an aside, it’s nuts how we say someone who’s making $5M is a bargain. Crazy stuff.

Anyhow. I really like Jenkins and would have been fine with a contract in the 10-12M range. I guess I’m a lot higher on him than most. I think he’ll hit 10+ sacks this year if healthy. Let’s pair him with Emerson Griffen.

My list of wants keeps decreasing. I’m down to Robby, Dorsett and Griffen (starting to prefer him over Yannick). 

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

Great deal on many levels for the Jets.  Obviously 5 million is a great number.  But, to me, bringing back a guy who you drafted, developed and turned into a  leader on the team is huge.  Jenkins wanted to be a Jet and literally put HIS money where his mouth is.  Tide is turning for those who said we have to over pay for FAs (even our own).  JD building a culture that guys want to be a part of .....good stuff.

• Like 1