Packers sign Devin Funchess

HighCalebR

48 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Except that nowhere do they have anything indicating $3.75m or a even a $250k *per game* LTBE. None of their numbers match what Pelissero tweeted.

This assumes that all incentives are on a per-game basis. Their numbers exactly match Pelissario's tweet if you don't assume that anything past the roster bonus is a per-game incentive. If you look at the link you posted for Tom Brady, he has all sorts of annual-basis incentives in there. Brady's incentive bonuses also don't seem to be listed in their chart.

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

Does anyone know what the $3.75m incentives are for? That’s looking like it could be a math error or misunderstanding from a reporter.

Spotrac only shows $250k of incentives total. Not $250k per active game. They say it’s $15,625 bonus per game, and then say “$250k” next to it (because $15,625*16= $250k). So $250k is the maximum of the incentive if he plays 16 games. They show the cap hit as $2,265,625 with the 1 game LTBE, and can go up to $2.5m if he plays all 16.

it looks to me like the reporter mistakenly thought it was a $250k per game incentive, so added $250k to the $2.25m for the one-game LTBE to get $2.5m, and then said there was an additional $3.75m of incentives because 15g*$250k= $3.75m.

I know a lot of GB blogs are all just referencing the same tweet, which might be misinformed.

It's 250k that he can max out via that Game Day roster bonus.  Only 1 game is LTBE since that's the number of games he played last year.

7 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

This assumes that all incentives are on a per-game basis. Their numbers exactly match Pelissario's tweet if you don't assume that anything past the roster bonus is a per-game incentive. If you look at the link you posted for Tom Brady, he has all sorts of annual-basis incentives in there. Brady's incentive bonuses also don't seem to be listed in their chart.

Most incentives aren't on a per game basis outside of an active 46 or whatever we're at now.  It's usually based on performance platforms, i.e. number of catches, post-game accolades, etc.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's 250k that he can max out via that Game Day roster bonus.  Only 1 game is LTBE since that's the number of games he played last year.

Right. That’s what Spotrac is saying (16*15,625= $250k max). Pelissario's numbers seem to indicate he can max out at 4.00m incentives (16*250k) as opposed to 250k.

1 minute ago, TransientTexan said:

Right. That’s what Spotrac is saying (16*15,625= $250k max). Pelissario's numbers seem to indicate he can max out at 4.00m incentives (16*250k) as opposed to 250k.

I don't see what's confusing about his tweet.  There's a 50k workout bonus (LTBE) and 15k per game active (only 1 of those bonuses are LTBE) bonus.  In terms of incentives, he's only likely to earn 65k.  There's another 3.75M worth of incentives, and if he maxes out all of his incentives he walks away with $6.25M.

15 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Their numbers do not match his. 

Spotrac lists LTBE roster bonuses in the chart. I believe they also list other bonuses if they are LTBE (see the ‘Misc’ column they add for a player like Richard Sherman)

2 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Their numbers do not match his. 

Spotrac lists LTBE roster bonuses in the chart. I believe they also list other bonuses if they are LTBE (see the ‘Misc’ column they add for a player like Richard Sherman)

But they have no idea what the other incentives are (presumably because they are going off the tweet like everyone else). So they have no idea what in it would be LBTE

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't see what's confusing about his tweet.  There's a 50k workout bonus (LTBE) and 15k per game active (only 1 of those bonuses are LTBE) bonus.  In terms of incentives, he's only likely to earn 65k.  There's another 3.75M worth of incentives, and if he maxes out all of his incentives he walks away with $6.25M.

And we walk away with a 4th round pick 

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I never said the tweet was confusing. I know all about LTBE and how to add incentives. 

I am just saying that it is suspicious that 15g*250k = $3.75m, which is the exact amount of this mysterious other bonus. The reporter also is a bit inconsistent in that he implies that $2.5m is the floor (“one-year, $2.5 million deal), when that technically includes $234k of non-LTBE roster money, but lists separately the $3.75m in other incentives because they are non-LTBE)

I just don't see how this is a bad deal. You're getting a potential number two WR for that $$ on a team where your qb makes 30mil. I like this deal, and all reports were he was looking to have a good season last year before the injury. Now go get us a DL Gutey!

• Like 1

There's definitely nothing to be upset about here.  I wasn't a big fan of Funchess coming out and frankly he outperformed my expectations in Carolina. But he does pop when you watch him.  Big receiver with feet like that is rare, and he can be a legitimate issue when he starts throwing his weight around in his routes.  Aaron doesn't really need to throw a lot of contested balls to him, it's more just throwing to the side of the wall the DB isn't on. 

I did worry a bit about doubling up on big receivers with Lazard, but having watched them both this week think I was mistaken there.  He's a cut above Lazard overall athletically, although Lazard would toast him in a straight line and EQ is in a different class of athlete compared to both.  He's just a big, smooth target who can bully DBs when he gets going, and between him and the rest of that monster receiver room run defense on the perimeter is gonna be a long day for opposing defenses.  He hasn't really played up to his talent yet in the NFL, but honestly the way the offense ran in Carolina with Cam it's hard for any receiver to really maximize their growth.  Between running the ball so much and Cam getting more haphazard with his ball placement as the injuries mounted the receivers really didn't get a lot of plays to make an impact.  Whether Funchess has more potential waiting to be tapped with opportunity remains to be seen, but I can see the argument given what he looks like on tape.

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 1

You do realize that Rodgers QB'd a 13-3 team last year.    An NFL team without a dominating defense.

No matter how lucky you are, you don't get to 13-3 in the NFL with poor QB play.  Especially if that team doesn't have an exceptional defense. 

He isn't the player he was 5 years ago, but the constant crapping on a winning QB is curious.