Tyler Ervin back on 1 year deal

MrBoom

46 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I'm reluctant to invest the draft capital required to find a football player good enough to beat out a 4 yr pro in such a multiple role as Ervin. RB/WR/KR/PR
5th-7th  round rookies generally can't do it and 1- 3rd round rookies are too much capital. I think Ervin makes the roster, bubble or no.

The new CBA calls for even less coaching/development time than in previous seasons. On top of that - there's little or no offseason, no OTA's and even TC starting on time isn't a given at this point. Ergo, development time is severely restricted and UDFA and late rounders are mostly gonna be redshirts in 2020.
I'm thinking vets have a significant advantage over youngsters for this upcoming season. 

This. It's just a win win move, especially with the money.

44 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I really didn't like him on jet sweeps.

He's a long strider that takes some time to hit his full speed.  And he doesn't have much juke in him.

When I think of jet sweet, I think of those jitterbug kinds of guys that hit their speed fast and have very good change of direction.

But that's just me.  

Not just you.  

One thing that sometimes happens is defenders are running all-out to get to the corner, and occasionally a quick cut upfield can gain yards WITHOUT sweeping all the way outside.  The quick change-of-direction jitterbug guys are better at taking advantage. 

Likewise sometime even a tiny pause and stutter-step can cause a defender to freeze for a split second... so the jitterbug can then turn on the jets and get around.  

18 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Does anyone else agree with me that Tyler Ervin is pretty darn good. Very versatile.

I don't know if he is good, or versatile.

What I do know is he is better at returns than the hot garbage we trotted out there for most of the season.  By that measurement he is "good", but when looking at the grand scheme, I'm unsure if he is better than the average NFL returner.  But our return game was God awful that average was a huge upgrade.

That equates over to his role as a jet action guy.  We were bad there and lacked a quick twitch explosive guy coming across the formation.  He was an upgrade there, but again, I'm unsure if he is "good" compared to an NFL average.

I'm all for the signing, especially at the price, and if the sun/moon/stars allign, we will have a rookie who can do it better and offer more upside.  If not, we can live with him in those roles.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

whatever man, it's gonna happen.  Williams, Ervin, Jones all on the field at the same time

I'm cool with that idea to some degree. I still think 2 HBs on the field is overrated AF though. I don't see the benefit. (not someone like Ervin, I'm sure you mean wide in jet and rocket motions)

Edited by Norm