FFMD 20 Writers Room

EaglesPeteC

Pick reactions you'll probably hate:

Atlanta Falcons: 51st Overall: Kyle Dugger: B+

You knew when Chinn went this going to soon follow. Similarly to the Broncos selection a few picks before, it looks like the Falcons plan to use Dugger as primarily a nickel LB and spot safety... again that makes sense... and there is a legit need there (and I like Kyle better.. don't tell the Broncos war room)

Were there guys I thought were better value here? Yes. Were there many? No. 
Chaisson and Dugger is a fun tandem for Hotlanta to start this draft with. 

Los Angeles Rams: 52nd Overall: JK Dobbins: D

Dobbins is your prototypical do it all guy. He might not be blue chip at everything but he's really, really solid. He has good hands. He's quick. Everyone raves about his vision. 
He's creative in escaping tackles. I'm not sure there's a consensus but many have Dobbins over Taylor. Count me in that camp. And while the Rams have more needs than the Chiefs this pick is still an easy A. Gotcha! I totally got you. This pick is an A.. Whoo. You should see your face right now.. Ahh.  I cherish our time together..

Indianapolis Colts: 53rd Overall: Julian Okwara: B+

I'm not sure theres a position group that people are more split on after the top guys. I like me some Okwara... and I like me what them Colts is up to illtelluwhut. 
Dang ol prioritizing the dang ol pass rush man. Giving bolo tie Rivers a defense to work with. Stockpiling dang ol picks, man. Attacking early round value y'all. Dang ol, love it man. 
I think I'm still drunk from last night. Excuse me.

Baltimore Ravens: 54th Overall: Lloyd Christmasberry: A

He was my top remaining IOL from that first tier. They're protecting the franchise. I like this player/team fit a lot. Value +. NEXT.

Chicago Bears: 55th Overall: Jordan Love: A

THIS SUNDAY..sunday...Sunday 
WATCH AS YOUR CHICAGO BEARS TROT OUT 9.. THAT'S RIGHT 9!!... QUARTERBACKS AS STARTERS. 
MARVEL AT THE INCESSANT AUDIBLES. GASP AS WE LATERAL PASS AFTER PASS ACROSS THE FIELD.  
PONDER YOUR EXISTENCE AS WE PUT PICKLES AND TOMATOES ON A HOT DOG.
YOU CANT MISS WIDE OPEN RECEIVERS IF THERE'S NO RECEIVERS TO THROW TO...
HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS... YOU'VE NEVER SEEN FOOTBALL LIKE THIS FOLKS

Seriously tho excellent value on a guy some people (err *cough* McShay) are saying will go in the top 3. 

Tennessee Titans: 56th Overall: Cole Kmet: B+

Titans are stringing together some solid picks here. Kmet is (should be?) the consensus #1 TE.
He might not pop in the passing game as much as some of these guys but he's easily the most well rounded.
I'm surprised this isn't a WR, but the class has prospects later on and the Titans are obviously not going to shy away from running.. I like this as a Walker replacement. 
He, Jonnu, AJ, and King Henry are a tough, well rounded group. If you can convince me Tannehill was actually worth that contract, I'd tell you the Titans are ready to make some noise again. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

Tennessee Titans: 56th Overall: Cole Kmet: B+

Titans are stringing together some solid picks here. Kmet is (should be?) the consensus #1 TE.
He might not pop in the passing game as much as some of these guys but he's easily the most well rounded.
I'm surprised this isn't a WR, but the class has prospects later on and the Titans are obviously not going to shy away from running.. I like this as a Walker replacement. 
He, Jonnu, AJ, and King Henry are a tough, well rounded group. If you can convince me Tannehill was actually worth that contract, I'd tell you the Titans are ready to make some noise again. 

For the most part, people have him No. 1, but I've also seen the Dayton kid, Thaddeus Moss, and the draft board on the worksheet lists Hunter Bryant.  It's all over the place.

It's hard for me to remember a class that was so split, at so many positions, on who is the best at that position.  WR, OT, RB, TE, and S are all up in the air, and that's not getting into the other positions where the consensus disappears immediately after the top guy (Edge and CB especially).

Hell, my third ranked RB and fourth ranked Edge are still on the board.

FestiveOnion's "doin my best" pick reactions that you probably won't like unless its a A

Houston Texans: 57th Overall: Curtis Weaver: A-

That you fans find the strength to continue this exercise with Bill O'Brien as your head coach is worth a letter grade bump here.
I'll fight anyone that disagrees with me. 

Minnesota Vikings: 58th Overall: Prince Tega Wanogho: B+

Maybe they'll start him off at corner to see his he sticks. 
A good OT prospect if that doesn't pan out. 

Pittsburgh Steelers: 59th Overall: Cam Aikers: C

We're starting to reach a point where the draft slot for these RBs is exceeding the value. 
This is Pittsburgh's first selection and they elect to take a complimentary piece... and one that could be had later
I'll double down on something I said earlier that people took umbrage to.. because I'm apparently a masochist: I like the player, I do not like the slot. 

Buffalo Bills: 60th Overall: Clyde Edwards-Helaire: B

Bills snag an explosive piece for that offense and Matt Millers #1 ranked prospect in Edwards-Helaire. 
Like Pittsburgh above, this is the Bills first selection. Unlike Pittsburgh, they don't have pressing needs here or a proven of a commodity at the position. 
I like Clyde more than Cam... the only discernible knock on him is his height. 

Miami Dolphins: 61st Overall: Marlon Davidson: A+

Wow. It's a good thing I'm so unbiased... or I would say how deflating it is that Davidson didn't last ONE more pick to Green Bay. 
Someone biased would probably talk about how much of a great fit that would have been in the Packers defense. Or how the value would have been fantastic in the 60s. 
In fact, someone super biased would probably waste the entire write up selfishly thinking about what could have been or what should be. They'd probably lament that life isn't fair and sit in frustration mashing keys on a keyboard without ever actually addressing the team he was actually drafted by.
But not me. No sir. 

Green Bay Packers: 62nd Overall: Lucas Niang: B+

He's a touch bigger than guys they usually target, but fits the mold of what the Packers look for..a man that can move.
They had to address OT at some point with the loss of Bulaga, and I personally had Niang as BPA here.
That hip injury pushes him down a little bit, but GB doesn't need him to start this year anyway. He has legit upside.

Edited by festiveonion
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Daniel said:

For the most part, people have him No. 1, but I've also seen the Dayton kid, Thaddeus Moss, and the draft board on the worksheet lists Hunter Bryant.  It's all over the place.

It's hard for me to remember a class that was so split, at so many positions, on who is the best at that position.  WR, OT, RB, TE, and S are all up in the air, and that's not getting into the other positions where the consensus disappears immediately after the top guy (Edge and CB especially).

Hell, my third ranked RB and fourth ranked Edge are still on the board.

It really is a peculiar class for that kinda stuff. The combine was a mess and COVID killed pro days. People have to trust their eyes more than usual this year.  

Kmet is fine. He isn't a world beater by any means. I really like Brycen Hopkins. Think he could provide excellent value depending on where he's taken.

1 minute ago, festiveonion said:

It really is a peculiar class for that kinda stuff. The combine was a mess and COVID killed pro days. People have to trust their eyes more than usual this year.  

Kmet is fine. He isn't a world beater by any means. I really like Brycen Hopkins. Think he could provide excellent value depending on where he's taken.

Hopkins is my No. 2.  He's also the son of former Titans OT Brad Hopkins and a Nashville native, so I would have loved to snag him a little later, but the value for Kmet was too good (per our board) for us to not take him.

Pittsburgh Steelers: 59th Overall: Cam Aikers: C

We're starting to reach a point where the draft slot for these RBs is exceeding the value. 
This is Pittsburgh's first selection and they elect to take a complimentary piece... and one that could be had later
I'll double down on something I said earlier that people took umbrage to.. because I'm apparently a masochist: I like the player, I do not like the slot. 

Vikings at 58 and Bills at 60 both admitted to wanting Akers so I'm not sure where you're getting that this isn't good value. We were targeting one of the top 5 RBs and moved down and then back up into the perfect slot to get our guy. I'd say the value was perfect.

James Conner is a FA after this season and most likely won't be retained unless he wants to take an extremely team friendly deal. He has also been hurt and missed multiple games each year he's been in the league. Did you see what happened to our offense last year when Conner was out and we had to rely on Benny Snell Jr and Jaylen Samuels to carry the load? It wasn't pretty. With Ben coming back from injury, we need to have a reliable/dominant run game to carry the offense and pair with our defense which should be top 5 again this year. 

We have no glaring holes on the roster outside of depth on defense/o-line. With our trade back with Detroit, we have plenty of ammunition to address that later (4 picks between #102-#124) so we could afford a "luxury" pick if you want to call it that. 

Akers gives us a dynamic weapon on offense as a change of pace to Conner, insurance if/when Conner gets hurt again, and can be our future feature back in 2021 if/when Conner isn't retained. I respectfully disagree with your grade :D

Baltimore Ravens: 63rd Overall: Malik Harrison: B+

BPA value bonanza for Baltimore this round. 
The last three players were some of the last of that 2nd/3rd tier for me. 
Harrison is scary, son. He's a boomstick player but has question marks surrounding his game revolve around passing downs. 
I'll admit, I'm not as high on him as some, I think he's kinda tapped out potential wise..but he does have legit tools and a legit presence.
You know if the Ravens are taking a ILB this high they're pumped. Fans will love him.

Seattle Seahawks: 64th Overall: Michael Pittman Jr: B-

Things that are true:
I really like Pittman.
There were better prospects on the board.
This seems like a really good fit. 

I'm struggling here... and not just because I can feel my hangover setting in.  

Just now, festiveonion said:

Seattle Seahawks: 64th Overall: Michael Pittman Jr: B-

Things that are true:
I really like Pittman.
There were better prospects on the board.
This seems like a really good fit. 

I'm struggling here... and not just because I can feel my hangover setting in.  

Genuinely curious where you would have gone.

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Genuinely curious where you would have gone.

Raekwon Davis. Damon Arnette. 

I also have receivers I think will be drafted ahead of him that are still available. But like I said, I struggled here. That's a snug fit with the Seahawks. 
B- isn't a bad score. 

1 minute ago, festiveonion said:

Raekwon Davis. Damon Arnette. 

I also have receivers I think will be drafted ahead of him that are still available. But like I said, I struggled here. That's a snug fit with the Seahawks. 
B- isn't a bad score. 

Oh no, I'll take it. Wasn't complaining. Was just looking for your thoughts. And I love Arnette. Pittman isn't far below him for me but fit a much bigger need. Who knows... I pick again very soon too.