FFMD 20 Writers Room

EaglesPeteC

24 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

Baltimore Ravens: 63rd Overall: Malik Harrison: B+

BPA value bonanza for Baltimore this round. 
The last three players were some of the last of that 2nd/3rd tier for me. 
Harrison is scary, son. He's a boomstick player but has question marks surrounding his game revolve around passing downs. 
I'll admit, I'm not as high on him as some, I think he's kinda tapped out potential wise..but he does have legit tools and a legit presence.
You know if the Ravens are taking a ILB this high they're pumped. Fans will love him.

Seattle Seahawks: 64th Overall: Michael Pittman Jr: B-

Things that are true:
I really like Pittman.
There were better prospects on the board.
This seems like a really good fit. 

I'm struggling here... and not just because I can feel my hangover setting in.  

I really like Harrison. My understanding is that he's actually one of the better coverage LB's with good size. He's a guy that I wanted to see in Detroit and hope he will be on the roster later this month. 

5 winners from the 2nd round:

Minnesota:
AJ Terrell was fantastic value. Hopefully that position is locked down and Minny can share some with the rest of the league.
Prince was another BPA at his position.

New York Teams:
The Giants snuck two first rounders out of the top of the 2nd. 
The Jets grabbed a third at 48.

Miami:
Keeps their hype train rolling with the selection of Davidson.
Miami has attacked their needs aggressively and secured a top player at every position they've added to.

Kansas City: 
JT at 50 is a coup. 

Cleveland: 
Browns stayed patient and stood pat. Their reward was excellent value in Delpit. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

5 winners from the 2nd round:

Minnesota:
AJ Terrell was fantastic value. Hopefully that position is locked down and Minny can share some with the rest of the league.
Prince was another BPA at his position.

New York Teams:
The Giants snuck two first rounders out of the top of the 2nd. 
The Jets grabbed a third at 48.

Miami:
Keeps their hype train rolling with the selection of Davidson.
Miami has attacked their needs aggressively and secured a top player at every position they've added to.

Kansas City: 
JT at 50 is a coup. 

Cleveland: 
Browns stayed patient and stood pat. Their reward was excellent value in Delpit. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

61st Overall Pick of Marlon Davidson to the Miami Dolphins:

Grade - A

Davidson might just be a more productive player at the NFL level than Derrick Brown. He had a better pass rush win rate as a 280+ lb edge defender than some of the folks taken before him in this draft to specifically play that position, using a mix of power, slither, swipe, and rip. When he was kicked in against guards at the Senior Bowl, he was a Kinlaw-level unblockable nightmare. His quickness and power and ability to transition into second moves is just too much for most guards. There is some projecting to do here - he’s bulked up to over 300 lbs to play 3T at the next level - but you are more than fine putting up with such uncertainty this deep into the draft. 

62nd Overall Pick of Lucas Niang to the Green Bay Packers:

Grade - B

Niang is a fascinating athlete - he towers over most people at a full 6’6”. He has super long arms and anchors well against bull rushes. I like the way that he identifies stunts and blitzes. He is a real menace in the run game. He looks every bit of the part getting off the plane and in some passing snaps. But his pass sets are really raw and he got beaten more on a per snap basis than a couple of the players still available. It’s late enough where drafting such a high upside ball of clay at the position could be worth it, but I still prefer tackles that have protected at a higher level in college when asked to. Still a solid pick. 

63rd Overall Pick of Malik Harrison to the Baltimore Ravens:

Grade - B-

Harrison is more of an old-fashioned whomper than the other linebackers taken so far, but he’s not a bad athlete in his own right. He just doesn’t have the turning radius or straight line speed you’d like to deal with modern running backs in man coverage out of the backfield. He’s an enforcer on running plays, even stacking and getting off offensive line blocks (remember when that used to be more of a thing! *sighs*) and is an excellent blitzer, which the Ravens have to love. I think it’s a quality fit. I’m just a little concerned about the value in a MIKE linebacker that doesn’t bring much in the passing game. Then again, the Ravens could just blitz him every play. I’m going to get out of here before I change my mind. 

64th Overall Pick of Michael Pittman to the Seattle Seahawks:

Grade - A

Pittman has some of the very best hands in this class - he’s in the Tee Higgins and Henry Ruggs sort of tier of guys that just don’t ever drop the ball. He has nice lateral quickness to open little windows on cuts and can threaten vertically pretty well. He’s good with the ball in the air. He’s a bit of an all rounder. And when you have an evil hobbit wizard that can magic the ball into receivers’ hands, the least they can do for you is not drop the dang thing. Great value. Great fit. Sigh. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JIllg said:

. He’s good with the ball in the air. He’s a bit of an all rounder. And when you have an evil hobbit wizard that can magic the ball into receivers’ hands,

I laughed, and then I cried 

• Like 3

More bad analysis from a sad sad onion:

Cincinnati Bengals: 65th Overall: Logan Wilson: B

Bengals got Burrow and now get their defensive signal caller.
Theres a ton of guys who are obsessed with Logan Wilson. I sorta get it. 
Plus character guy. Tons of production. Tested pretty well athletically. 
This is right around where I pegged him, albeit a little high. Wonder how much they wanted Harrison.

Washington Redskins: 66th Overall: Damon Arnette: A+

FLASH TO: An alternate universe...
The Washington Redskins didn't sacrifice the #34th pick in the 2020 draft during the Montez Sweat trade. 
They use that pick on Damon Arnette. 

A different version of FestiveOnion raises an eyebrow... channels his inner Roman Emperor... teeters his thumb up and down before thrusting it upwards. A crowd cheers.  
President Clint Eastwood decrees that the Modelo-Virus is cured. Everyone in America gets a million dollars and free tickets to the midnight showing of Great Gran Torino: The Third. 
All is right in the world. 

This is really just a long winded and unfunny way to say I would have liked this pick in the second. 
Getting him at 66 is huge. This is just excellent value. I think Arnette is going to be a baller.

Seattle Seahawks: 67th Overall: Josh Uche: B+

Good value here as I see Uche being a little slept on. He's not tall, but he's long.. if that makes any sense. Good athlete. He's a weapon rushing the passer.

New York Jets: 68th Overall: Noah Igbinabegele: A+

I love what the Jets are doing right now.
First off they're absolutely stealing guys. Igbinocular is getting legitimate first round buzz. He a tough little ****. 
They're also targeting versatility. Shenault can play like 6 positions on offense. Igbonobo is a clean db. He can play safety or corner. 
He has great upside.

Minnesota Vikings: 69th Overall: Bryan Edwards: C

Yeah.. this is gonna be a no from me dawg.
In a draft full of plus athletes and dudes that jump out at you, Edwards just kinda... is there.. 
Hands aren't impressive. Release off the line is gross. Cant seem to separate. 
He's a day 3 guy for me. 

Vikings came in this draft swinging. This is a head scratcher. 

Washington Redskins: 70th Overall: Chase Claypool: B+

This is good value for Claypool. I'm surprised nobody took a shot on him in the second.
Skins are putting together a nice little draft. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

Washington Redskins: 70th Overall: Chase Claypool: B+

This is good value for Claypool. I'm surprised nobody took a shot on him in the second.
Skins are putting together a nice little draft. 

I wanted to go Claypool, but I (rightfully) listened to the war room who wanted Higgins (@40).

He was there at 57 as well, but Texans really needed an edge to help protect the secondary.

I love the versatility that a player like Claypool could bring to the table slot WR, outside WR, move TE, ST gunner... guy is just a chess piece.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 5:27 PM, JIllg said:

24th Overall Pick of Kenneth Murray to the New Orleans Saints:

Grade - B+

Murray is in a very similar boat to Patrick Queen taken at the last pick. He tested better at the combine, but had harder tape to evaluate properly. Either way, I like this better for the Saints than I did Queen for the Patriots because off-ball linebacker is the Saints one true need. I think that they might have been able to get a higher value player. But they won’t find anyone who fits their current roster better. And as a Super Bowl contender, that’s where they want to be living. 

See you get this.  Regardless of value at other positions, the Saints are in a good spot at all of them.  Their biggest need was LBer as outside of Davis there wasn't anyone who has been able to play consistently at a starter level either due to injury keeping them off the field, Anzalone, or just not being good enough, everyone else.  Especially with the signings and restructures the Saints have done in this off-season they don't have a real need.

On 4/4/2020 at 2:18 PM, festiveonion said:

New Orleans Saints: 24th Overall: Kenneth Murray: B

The Saints have already had a very successful offseason coming into the draft. But with limited draft capital and cap space I think many assumed a trade down was in order.. where there are plenty of LB, DBs, and WRs available to plug some holes.

Now, sometimes that isn’t in your control, and if NOLA couldn’t find a trade partner they did well to fill a hole here. Again, QB probably got a look, unless the Saints and Sean Peyton seriously think 30 year old Hill is the answer behind Brees. But a backup QB doesn’t move the needle and this team is in win now mode. I just don’t like first round LBs (with exception).

The Saints are in a Super Bowl window that will close soon so although a QB for the future would be nice, their only real glairing hole still is a starting caliber LBer other than Davis, and Anzalone if he was ever healthy but that seems to be a tall order, and Murray fits that mold.  Trading down for a lesser talent considering their other moves this offseason just to add on more lesser talent makes no sense.

3 hours ago, festiveonion said:

Minnesota Vikings: 69th Overall: Bryan Edwards: C

Yeah.. this is gonna be a no from me dawg.
In a draft full of plus athletes and dudes that jump out at you, Edwards just kinda... is there.. 
Hands aren't impressive. Release off the line is gross. Cant seem to separate. 
He's a day 3 guy for me. 

Vikings came in this draft swinging. This is a head scratcher. 

Edwards is a guy where your opinion on him will depend on what game you watched. Had some effort and consistency issues. But if you want to see what the man can do when he's on, watch the Bama tape from this year. He looked like Allen Robinson in that game. That's his potential imo.

• Like 1

^^
That's how I feel about him - he's got a burst/wiggle to his game that's uncommon for a guy of his frame - struggled with drops as a junior but only had three this year on 107 targets, and managed to become SoCar's all-time leading receiver with pretty terrible QB play.  He's able to make plays at all three levels of the field, has RAC ability, and I chose him over Claypool because I personally feel Claypool is too linear to consistently be able to separate and win at the NFL level.  If all you want is a guy to run crossing routes and stretch the field from the slot, then Claypool could be very successful.

Los Angeles Chargers: 71st Overall: Jordyn Brooks: C

Linebacks are like uber drivers. You need to see them, but you don't want them high when they show up.
I have Brooks rated in the 4th. This is a reach for me. And LA just drafted Tua. Protect him. 

Arizona Cardinals 72nd Overall: Tyler Biadasz: B-

I suppose I shouldn't dock AZ here for prioritizing the protection of Murray.. and this is a good slot for Biadasz. 
But how many guys do you need here? They're like 4 deep a tackle with the first round addition of Wirfs... which is an enviable position to be in. 
And I'm sure this is some future move that lets them get rid of a G who is coming up for a contract extension or something like that.

I would have went defense here. 

Jacksonville Jaguars: 73rd Overall: Rob Hunt: B

I like Hunt and the Jags had to keep an eye on OL here anyway. 
He isn't my favorite prospect for IOL right here, but this is solid enough value. 

Atlanta Falcons: 74th Overall: Cameron Dantzler: C+

Falcons grab their CB here. 
Dantzler has plus SEC production and he's well rounded in coverage. Before the combine this is a higher grade. 
But I'm weary of corners who don't test well. 
His came in the same weight and his wingspan was an inch and a half less than Amik Robinson.. who is a full 6 inches shorter than Dantzler. He ran in the mid 4.6s.
This isn't to say he can't be successful. But this type peeters out quite often in the NFL. Like, usually. 
At first glance you're looking at a sports car. But you pop that hood and realize a family of squirrels ran in there to ***** all over everything before they promptly turned on their haunches and died. 

Indianapolis Colts: 75th Overall: Ashtyn Davis: B+

Third wheel in that Dugger, Chinn sweepstakes. 
Some think Davis is the top safety in this class. I'm not that high on him. Maybe it's because his headshots make him look like a 47 year old disheveled former child actor.
Who hurt you Ashtyn?

Indy has already addressed their pressing needs. Jeffery is on the roster and that pass rush looks scary. They've made it clear they're going after this year one with Rivers. 
They can afford a pick like this. Davis will push for time year one at the very least in sub packages. Former Kids Choice Awards winner Ashtyn Davis is worth a top 75 selection. 

Baltimore Ravens: 76th Overall: Lynn Bowden Jr: C

This is such a deep class at WR. 
I understand going for playmakers here. I actually really like Bowden.
I don't love the value here. 

56 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

Atlanta Falcons: 74th Overall: Cameron Dantzler: C+

Falcons grab their CB here. 
Dantzler has plus SEC production and he's well rounded in coverage. Before the combine this is a higher grade. 
But I'm weary of corners who don't test well. 
His came in the same weight and his wingspan was an inch and a half less than Amik Robinson.. who is a full 6 inches shorter than Dantzler. He ran in the mid 4.6s.
This isn't to say he can't be successful. But this type peeters out quite often in the NFL. Like, usually. 
At first glance you're looking at a sports car. But you pop that hood and realize a family of squirrels ran in there to ***** all over everything before they promptly turned on their haunches and died. 

Has 30-5/8" arms. Wing span not as important as over 30-1/2" arms.

Ran a 4.64, but that was slower than his film looked. His technique on his 40 was awful. His film is too good to not like him. 

That being said, he's not starting at CB for us. He might see some looks in the nickel sets. But right now, he's the 4th or 5th CB on the roster. We gave up on forcing a starter pick when the board didn't fall how we liked. I know the GM wants him to start, but he's going to have to earn it. Our starters are Sheffield and Oliver and nickel is looking to be Dugger or Allen or Kazee. The idea is just to have a ton of competition and hope the cream rises to the top.

I will say this about Dantzler though, he didn't look slow covering the speedsters at LSU this year.

Also, Mississippi State's strength program is terrible. He has a frame to get up to 210 easily, just needs a pro group to work with him. Atlanta has that kind of group.

Edited by scar988
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

Los Angeles Chargers: 71st Overall: Jordyn Brooks: C

Linebacks are like uber drivers. You need to see them, but you don't want them high when they show up.
I have Brooks rated in the 4th. This is a reach for me. And LA just drafted Tua. Protect him. 

I feel like there's a misconception about our OL at this point.  It's been bad, but we're only keeping 2 starters from last year and they are our two best players. We drafted a developmental guy in the 3rd last year and feel confident about him being a starter.  We're taking the same stance that they seem to be taking this year, where there's two vets available and we have a project OT that showed some really good things at the end of last year, on top of bringing in an OL coach who has made a career of developing project OL. We're taking the stance that we're going to bring these guys into camp, allow Campen to see what they're development looks like and if he doesn't like it, there's two very good Vet LT's out there that can be had for somewhat cheap. Other than that LT position, our entire OL is solid or better. 

Brooks is a guy we valued really highly because the defensive scheme values his style of play highly.  His style of play really reminds me of a bigger version of Deion Jones.  He's really aggressive shooting gaps and has the athleticism and speed to do so effectively while also being a run and chase guy on the outside.  Every single version of the 4-3 Under needs this guy (Kwon Alexander, Deion Jones, Telvin Smith, Bobby Wagner etc), and we feel like we got that guy here.

Edited by Duffman57

Denver Broncos: 77th Overall: Amik Robinson: B

I'm glad they addressed the position. Robinson is an average sized human which means he's a midget in the NFL.
That being said, there's nothing else not to like about Robinson. His ball skills are fantastic. He's scrappy, as you would expect. He certainly doesn't play like he's barely 5'8.

The Broncos are prioritizing versatility on the back end with the Chinn pick. They're targeting a nickel corner which frees up Chinn to move around. It makes sense.
They honestly might have been planning this the whole time. 

BUT, I still think this is a little early for a nickel. I would wait till the value is a little better, personally. Especially if I had Fangio. He's had success with those guys before.

Cleveland Browns: 78th Overall: Netane Muti: C+

Three of his four seasons in college have ended with injury. That's yucky.

The upside is there for sure. The talent warrants the 78th selection. This could be a starter if he's available. But that's the problem isn't it? Will he be?
Think the Browns could have went with a more sure thing here.

New York Jets: 79th Overall: Jonathan Greenard: A-

It's really hard to look away from Greenard when you're trying to watch other guys on Florida. He can really move. He has counters. Heady, intelligent, quick player. 
He's fringe 50 for me so getting him here is nice. 

This is great value. New York gets another steal. Ho hum.

Cleveland Browns: 80th Overall: Jack Driscoll: B-

Browns got this pick from Raiders during the Delpit trade.
Let me start by saying, I like the value here. Driscoll is a good fit. 

Let me follow it up by saying, why the hell are you going OL here again? Did I miss something? Why did you trade Delpit? I liked him.

That's 3 straight picks on the line. Conklin, Tretter, Bitono, and Teller are under contract for 2021. They can all operate in whatever wide zone scheme your new HC is employing. 
Whats happening here.
This has to get knocked a little bit. 

Cleveland Browns: 81st Overall: Troy Dye: C+

...and while I'm on the topic, don't you think you should have went Driscoll before Muti? He at least plays immediately. I know Driscoll can move but he can't play TE for you. 
Is Stefanski going with 6 lineman to make sure his QB never gets sacked again? Did Baker put you guys up to this? Did Muti find your nudes? Is this blackmail you? 
I'm half serious I have no idea what's going on right now. 

• Like 3