FFMD 20 Writers Room

EaglesPeteC

41st Overall Pick of Grant Delpit to the Cleveland Browns:

Grade - A+

Guys that can play regularly as a single high free safety and make a real difference are few and far between. Earl Thomas. Eddie Jackson. Malik Hooker when he isn’t broken. Guys that can play impact single high free safety and mirror tight ends and slot guys flawlessly on a regular basis just about don’t exist because people don’t really do that in the NFL that often. Dudes that are 6’3” shouldn’t be able to play free safety that well. Grant Delpit can do that. He has a very rare skill set. Was he a terrible tackler this year? Yes. Was he a bad tackler last year before the shoulder injury? Yes. But he’s 6’3”, over 200 lbs and willing. That has to matter at some point. And besides, Eddie Jackson and Earl Thomas miss a reasonable share of tackles. They are still awesome. 

42nd Overall Pick of Bryce Hall to the Jacksonville Jaguars:

Grade - B-

Bryce Hall in 2018 was a truly dominant football player. He has elite zone understanding, long arms, and a great feel for what offenses are trying to accomplish. He took a major step back in 2019 even before the injury and his athleticism has always been questionable. He’s a terrific fit for what the Jaguars are trying to accomplish defensively, but I think that there were other players with a couple less question marks still left on the board. 

43rd Overall Pick of K.J. Hamler to the Chicago Bears:

Grade - B

An interesting choice between positions here for the the Monsters of the Midway. They could use offensive line help, especially on the interior where even David Montgomery’s skill at breaking tackles could only get him so far. They could use a Prince Amukamara replacement. A true strong safety starter would be nice. K.J. Hamler is a fascinating prospect. He’s in the Ruggs and Aiyuk class of dudes that just invalidate angles and make people look stupid and slow on double moves. No 40 time on him is a touch annoying, but I kind of didn’t care too much in Aiyuk’s case and I don’t really care too much here. Hamler is a nice complement to Robinson’s back shoulder work and dig routes, Miller’s slot work, and Cordarelle Patterson’s trick play and YAC skills. I just think that the Bears could have gotten a similarly valued player at a position of greater need.

44th Overall Pick of Neville Gallimore to the Indianapolis Colts:

Grade - B

Man, the Colts got after the interior of their defensive line. Gallimore is very quick for his size, but he’s in the Madubuike class of guys that are better at disrupting the run than the pass. He’ll fit nicely next to DeForest Buckner (*sheds a tear*) as a smaller, disruptive 1T that can stay on the field on third downs. I like other defensive linemen more (again, mentioned previously), but I can’t argue with the fit. 

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 1

Minnesota Vikings: 45th Overall: AJ Terrell: A-

This is the first part of the deal that sent Dalvin Cook to Tampa

On one hand, great value. And not the knock off Walmart brand stuff. Seriously, actually superb value. 
On the other hand, Rick Spielman is clearly one of us. I'm not sure which alias he's operating under.. but he's definitely in the vikings draft room. And he's definitely making calls.
I wish I could knock this for going back to back CBs here. But Chris Jones was actually #25 and the Vikings really needed DBs after this offseason (and getting rid of Harris).
Blow that corny horn Vikings. This is a dub. 

Denver Broncos: 46th Overall: Jeremy Mandible: C+

I'm assuming the Broncos are going to trot him out as a 3rd safety and this is more a move to replace Harris?
Even if that's the case, and trade downs weren't an option... ehh?
Don't get me wrong, I like the player. I just don't like the slot. 

Kinds seems like they took this one on the....Chinn here  (I'll see myself out)

San Francisco 49ers: 47th Overall: Jaylon Johnson: B+

Johnson is a bigger press guy with plus ball skills. I hate the idea of this pick. Which probably means it's good. 
This isn't a reach nor is it a steal. Right around where he should go. He's the best DB available here.
Hopefully 

New York Jets: 48th Overall: Laviska Shenault: A

He's a banged up weapon. And you know what Sam Darnold needs? Facial definition. Yes, you're right. (two chin jokes, seriously?)
A sage burning shaman woman to exorcize the ghosts he keeps seeing?  (that was like 4 years ago man)
Some third thing about mononucleosis? (lazy)

Well, yes.. but also no. He needs someone talented to throw to.

This is almost a need pick at this point. 
First round talent and if he stays healthy this is an easy A+

Detroit Lions: 49th Overall: Brandon Aiyuk: A-

Lots of draft capital to get to this point. But I love Aiyuk's game like I love the scantily clad women of the campus he represented... which is to say.. ya, know... quite a bit.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. 
Smart, quick, explosive, little separator. Utility guy who can play all over and return punts. Every year there's a draft crush or three and he's one of mine.
Good value here for me. He's a little less polished but I put in in that group under the top 4 with Shenault and Reagor. 
I think he's got big upside.

Kansas City Chiefs: 50th Overall: Jonathan Taylor: X+ 

What do you get the team that has everything. 
How bout 4.3 speed at 220+. Over 6,000 yards in 3 seasons?
He's tough, he's got mileage concerns but this is not your typical Wisconsin back. 
How the hell did KC end up with him here? Absolute moonshot of a homerun pick.

Edited by festiveonion
A+ not sexual enough
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

Denver Broncos: 46th Overall: Jeremy Mandible: C+

I'm assuming the Broncos are going to trot him out as a 3rd safety and this is more a move to replace Harris?
Even if that's the case, and trade downs weren't an option... ehh?
Don't get me wrong, I like the player. I just don't like the slot. 

Kinds seems like they took this one on the....Chinn here  (I'll see myself out)

This is a kinda a take that becomes a Freezing Cold Take in a few years.

Honestly, I don't get the love for Taylor. It's a good pick, but dude has a lot mileage on him already, doesn't catch and has real, legitimate fumbling concerns that doesn't translate well at the frequency with which he does it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I don't get the love for Taylor. It's a good pick, but dude has a lot mileage on him already, doesn't catch and has real, legitimate fumbling concerns that doesn't translate well at the frequency with which he does it. 

My thoughts too - he's a good player, but has some warts/concerns.

• Like 1

45th Overall Pick of A.J. Terrell to the Minnesota Vikings:

Grade - A+

The Vikings add another corner that is terrific value and fits their scheme. Ho hum. Terrell is long, reads keys reasonably well in zone and sticks well in man. I’d like him to be a bit more aggressive at the catch point, but that is a minor niggle that matters a lot less this far down in the draft. 

46th Overall Pick of Jeremy Chinn to the Denver Broncos:

Grade - B-

Chinn is right there with Kyle Dugger as a SPARQ score hero at SS/dime linebacker. He wasn’t as good as Dugger at breaking up and making plays against his level of competition, but he also played slightly better competition. I could see Chinn being Kam Chancellor in a year or two. I could also see him being out of the league because he doesn’t have the instincts. It’s a fine pick here, but I’d prefer the guy that made more plays, even against inferior competition.

47th Overall Pick of Jaylon Johnson to the San Francisco 49ers:

Grade - B- 

This is in part a grade for the A.J. Epenesa trade. I wasn’t a huge fan of it as I really rated Epenesa as a prospect and the return was a touch light. Jaylon Johnson is a great value here. He was among Noah Igbinoghene and Jeff Gladney as third tier man coverage guys. He has great reactionary quickness and is comfortable with his back to the ball, and he also sticks well to receivers. He has some zone instincts, but didn’t play a lot of it in college and he doesn’t have the longer arms you’d look for to disrupt passes coming back to the ball in off man and cover-3. Therefore, I like the value and the position is just what the team needs after the simulated Moseley trade, but I don’t think he is as a good a fit for the 49ers as he would be for some other teams. 

48th Overall Pick of Laviska Shenault to the New York Jets:

Grade - A+

The Jets need weapons for Darnold in just about all shapes, forms, and sizes. Shenault is among the most dangerous YAC guys in this class (including CeeDee Lamb) when healthy. If they use him like Deebo Samuel - throw him screens, let him catch the ball on the run - and he stays healthy, he will be a devastating asset for their offense. 

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, JIllg said:

47th Overall Pick of Jaylon Johnson to the San Francisco 49ers:

Grade - B- 

This is in part a grade for the A.J. Epenesa trade. I wasn’t a huge fan of it as I really rated Epenesa as a prospect and the return was a touch light. Jaylon Johnson is a great value here. He was among Noah Igbinoghene and Jeff Gladney as third tier man coverage guys. He has great reactionary quickness and is comfortable with his back to the ball, and he also sticks well to receivers. He has some zone instincts, but didn’t play a lot of it in college and he doesn’t have the longer arms you’d look for to disrupt passes coming back to the ball in off man and cover-3. Therefore, I like the value and the position is just what the team needs after the simulated Moseley trade, but I don’t think he is as a good a fit for the 49ers as he would be for some other teams. 

We discussed this as a group. It was acknowledged that Terrell was the better fit scheme wise, but some of us had better overall grades on Johnson than Terrell. Very fair critique.