Have you ever flirted with being a fan of another team?

TOUCAN

31 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The problem with this when looking for a new team is that pretty much every NFL franchise or owner has screwed people over. So while you can't be a Titans fan while maintaining even a shred of pride and integrity as a human being, you can pretty much go down the list and 'nope' every single team if you look too hard.

Oh I don't care if they screw people over. All that should matter to everyone is when I get screwed over.

• Like 4

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Correct.

Sooner rather than later, we'll need to inflict the necessary punishment on those who besmirched me.

Jeremy Barett is first. Bastard stole a bunch of my football pencils in the 2nd grade...we must purge him.

No never. I'm 35 and I have been a Raiders fan since since the mid 90's. I was around 11 or 12 that's when I really started to understand football. But when I was a little kid, like 7 years old. I remember thinking the Saints logo was the coolest thing ever. So there was a small chance I could have been a Saints fan but Raiders it is.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 5:22 PM, Uncle Buck said:

Last year I "celebrated" my 50th year as a fan of the Vikings.  It hasn't been a very fun ride.  My dad has been a fan of this team since their inception in 1961, and I can remember as a kid seeing him putting on a snowmobile suit and filling up a thermos of hot coffee to go out to games to watch the Purple People Eaters at Met Stadium back in the 70's.  In May he will turn 90 years of age and probably won't ever be able to see our team win a Super Bowl. 

We have had a lot of very good teams over the years but they have never won it all.  I hate to say it, but it has gotten very old.  Now we just extended a quarterback who likely doesn't have what it will take to win a Super Bowl, and a coach who, although very good, doesn't seem to know how to put together a team that doesn't get steamrolled by more physical teams in the playoffs.  Two years ago we had a perfect opportunity to be the first team in history to win a Super Bowl in their home stadium.  We were one of the better teams in the league that year, but we all know how that turned out.  It's like a broken record that just keeps playing on and on and on.

I have to admit that I've considered moving on.  Half a century of ineptitude should be MORE than enough time for them to get their act together just once.  A new team might be a nice breath of fresh air, even if the other team isn't very good to begin with.  We'll see.  It would be REALLY lousy to change teams after a 50-year investment of time and then watch the Vikings finally win it all after I had jumped ship.  I don't even know what to think anymore.  I'm really just weary of the whole thing.

Wow man. I'd hold on if I were you - Chiefs hadn't won in 50 years after all..

I can't say that I know how you feel exactly - I'm been pretty lucky. But I have experienced an inordinate number of championship game losses. I'm a Cavs/Indians/Buckeyes and Rams fan - before my daughter was born (2 years ago) I followed other sports along with the NFL. Now thankfully I don't have time (if sports were even happening right now). So I've got:

1995 Indians lose - I actually liked baseball more when I was a kid

1997 Indians lose - this one stung even more

1999 Rams win - this is where I'll probably lose you - I was a teenager though so not yet fully invested

2001 Rams loss - a little bit older, following a great team in a game we should have won going away - very painful

2002 Buckeyes win - incredibly fun

2007 Cavs lose - didn't think they'd be there so didn't hurt too bad

2007 Buckeyes lose - #1 team most of the season - this was a shocking beatdown

2008 Buckeyes lose - these two games were more painful because of the SEC/Big 10 talk

2014 Buckeyes win - including defeating Alabama - awesome

2015 Cavs lose - injured players, didn't think we could win

2016 Cavs win - AWESOME

2016 Indians lose - blowing the 3-1 series lead sucked, but the pitching staff was decimated by injury

2017 Cavs loss - expected

2018 Cavs loss - expected

2018 Rams loss - depressed is the word that comes to mind

That's 4 total wins and 11 total losses - although the Rams trump the others by a large margin. I'm fortunate because I'm young and have already seen multiple championship games, a Super Bowl win.

All this is to say: I think I get the fatigue feeling that you're describing. When you put so much into it...it's just...a lot.

To answer the actual topic: I really like the Jaguars. I enjoy rooting for teams that haven't had a lot of success, save for the Cardinals since they're in the NFC West. I have a good friend who is a diehard Colts fan, and I've found they've always been easy to root for too. When the Rams had the worst five year stretch in NFL history, I watched every game dutifully, but I usually found another team to root for during that season, or just rooted against the Patriots.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Oh I don't care if they screw people over. All that should matter to everyone is when I get screwed over.

I feel like the ultimate "get back at the Texans" message would be for all of you to (temporarily) root for the Titans.

"THIS is what Bill O'Brien has driven us to do"

2 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I feel like the ultimate "get back at the Texans" message would be for all of you to (temporarily) root for the Titans.

"THIS is what Bill O'Brien has driven us to do"

Can't compromise my values, although what you do say is logical. Bud Adams broke me worse than Bill O'Brien, I ain't forgetting that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

Wow man. I'd hold on if I were you - Chiefs hadn't won in 50 years after all..

I can't say that I know how you feel exactly - I'm been pretty lucky. But I have experienced an inordinate number of championship game losses. I'm a Cavs/Indians/Buckeyes and Rams fan - before my daughter was born (2 years ago) I followed other sports along with the NFL. Now thankfully I don't have time (if sports were even happening right now). So I've got:

1995 Indians lose - I actually liked baseball more when I was a kid

1997 Indians lose - this one stung even more

1999 Rams win - this is where I'll probably lose you - I was a teenager though so not yet fully invested

2001 Rams loss - a little bit older, following a great team in a game we should have won going away - very painful

2002 Buckeyes win - incredibly fun

2007 Cavs lose - didn't think they'd be there so didn't hurt too bad

2007 Buckeyes lose - #1 team most of the season - this was a shocking beatdown

2008 Buckeyes lose - these two games were more painful because of the SEC/Big 10 talk

2014 Buckeyes win - including defeating Alabama - awesome

2015 Cavs lose - injured players, didn't think we could win

2016 Cavs win - AWESOME

2016 Indians lose - blowing the 3-1 series lead sucked, but the pitching staff was decimated by injury

2017 Cavs loss - expected

2018 Cavs loss - expected

2018 Rams loss - depressed is the word that comes to mind

That's 4 total wins and 11 total losses - although the Rams trump the others by a large margin. I'm fortunate because I'm young and have already seen multiple championship games, a Super Bowl win.

All this is to say: I think I get the fatigue feeling that you're describing. When you put so much into it...it's just...a lot.

To answer the actual topic: I really like the Jaguars. I enjoy rooting for teams that haven't had a lot of success, save for the Cardinals since they're in the NFC West. I have a good friend who is a diehard Colts fan, and I've found they've always been easy to root for too. When the Rams had the worst five year stretch in NFL history, I watched every game dutifully, but I usually found another team to root for during that season, or just rooted against the Patriots.

That's quite a roller-coaster ride you've had.  I guess the way I look at it is that I wouldn't mind near as much if the Vikings could just win one time.  We have been to the Super Bowl four times - four losses.  We have also had an additional 6 losses in the NFC Championship game since our last trip to the Super Bowl.  Finally, we just broke the record last year for the team with the most playoff losses during the Super Bowl era with 30.  It's different than being a fan of a team that is always lousy.  That's a lot easier, IMO.  We have the Timberwolves in the NBA.  I just don't even care about them.  The problem with the Vikings is that they are usually at least decent, and very often quite good.  30 playoff losses mean they were good enough to get to the playoffs 1 out of every 2 years they have been in existence as a franchise.  They just haven't gotten to the top of the mountain.  Not once in 60 years.  There is no excuse for that when you've had as many chances as we've had. 

Oh well.  I'm not jumping ship quite yet.  I'm hanging with them at least as long as my dad is around and we are watching games together.  Maybe they will get there soon.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

That's quite a roller-coaster ride you've had.  I guess the way I look at it is that I wouldn't mind near as much if the Vikings could just win one time.  We have been to the Super Bowl four times - four losses.  We have also had an additional 6 losses in the NFC Championship game since our last trip to the Super Bowl.  Finally, we just broke the record last year for the team with the most playoff losses during the Super Bowl era with 30.  It's different than being a fan of a team that is always lousy.  That's a lot easier, IMO.  We have the Timberwolves in the NBA.  I just don't even care about them.  The problem with the Vikings is that they are usually at least decent, and very often quite good.  30 playoff losses mean they were good enough to get to the playoffs 1 out of every 2 years they have been in existence as a franchise.  They just haven't gotten to the top of the mountain.  Not once in 60 years.  There is no excuse for that when you've had as many chances as we've had. 

Oh well.  I'm not jumping ship quite yet.  I'm hanging with them at least as long as my dad is around and we are watching games together.  Maybe they will get there soon.

Man for whatever reason, I've never liked the Vikings. My Dad has been a Rams fan about as long as you've been a Vikings fan, so he has told me about some of the playoff losses we've had to them. I went to a Vikings/Rams game in STL - the game that AP went OFF and Blair Walsh made what seemed like 9 FGs. Then when I had some hope in week 1 a few years later, despite Bradford going down, the Vikings came out and curb stomped us. I think it had been 12 years since we had beaten them when that Thursday Night game happened last year.

I've always been a Favre fan and I really dislike the Saints, so I was definitely rooting for them that year.

Anyways - reading your post made me like the Vikings a little more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

Man for whatever reason, I've never liked the Vikings. My Dad has been a Rams fan about as long as you've been a Vikings fan, so he has told me about some of the playoff losses we've had to them. I went to a Vikings/Rams game in STL - the game that AP went OFF and Blair Walsh made what seemed like 9 FGs. Then when I had some hope in week 1 a few years later, despite Bradford going down, the Vikings came out and curb stomped us. I think it had been 12 years since we had beaten them when that Thursday Night game happened last year.

I've always been a Favre fan and I really dislike the Saints, so I was definitely rooting for them that year.

Anyways - reading your post made me like the Vikings a little more.

Yeah, back in the '70s the Rams and the Vikings both had good teams for most of the decade.  We met several times in the playoffs, but it seemed like more often than not, the games wound up being played in Minneapolis.  Outdoor games in Minnesota in January can be pretty brutal when it comes to the weather, especially when you are used to the warmth of LA.  That was a big advantage for us back then.  Still, you guys had some great teams - an amazing defense, especially.