2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

2 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Top 5 pick on deck. A QB is coming folks, one way or another

Yep.  Gotta have a QB.  I’m not saying just take one for the sake of it, but if Denver somehow gets lucky enough to have Darnold or Rosen on the board or even trade up for one it has to be done.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Yep.  Gotta have a QB.  I’m not saying just take one for the sake of it, but if Denver somehow gets lucky enough to have Darnold or Rosen on the board or even trade up for one it has to be done.

Just to be clear though - right now, those are the only 2 QB guys worthy of the pick at that spot.    Reaching for a 3rd QB would be an epic disaster.  The thing is, with this much college film in the can, even a Combine or Senior Bowl riser would be a huge reach.  And that I'm completely against.    Saying it has to be done gets no argument for me - except that we could still get outbid.  The only way we can guarantee not getting outbid is getting a top 2 pick - and we're at best a #3 pick (and that's only if NYG catches us, realistically we have to lose out to make that happen).   If SF is dead set on JimmyG and want Barkley bad, then yeah, we're in great shape at #3 (we'd probably want to make a ton of noise that we'd take Barkley at 1.3 if the QB's go 1-2 to discourage SF thinking of trading down).

First things first though - gotta keep losing.   @MIA is next.  Then home to NYJ, and IMO the key decider Week 15 - @IND (since IND likely is 3-10 at that stage too).   Take it 1 week at a time - TBH, I hope Lynch is OK - because it's pretty clear Siemian gives us our best shot to win.  And we don't want that for 2017.  3-13 and #3 pick (root for NYG hard lol).

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Just to be clear though - right now, those are the only 2 QB guys worthy of the pick at that spot.    Reaching for a 3rd QB would be an epic disaster.  The thing is, with this much college film in the can, even a Combine or Senior Bowl riser would be a huge reach.  And that I'm completely against.    Saying it has to be done gets no argument for me - except that we could still get outbid.  The only way we can guarantee not getting outbid is getting a top 2 pick - and we're at best a #3 pick (and that's only if NYG catches us, realistically we have to lose out to make that happen).   If SF is dead set on JimmyG and want Barkley bad, then yeah, we're in great shape at #3 (we'd probably want to make a ton of noise that we'd take Barkley at 1.3 if the QB's go 1-2 to discourage SF thinking of trading down).

First things first though - gotta keep losing.   @MIA is next.  Then home to NYJ, and IMO the key decider Week 15 - @IND (since IND likely is 3-10 at that stage too).   Take it 1 week at a time - TBH, I hope Lynch is OK - because it's pretty clear Siemian gives us our best shot to win.  And we don't want that for 2017.  3-13 and #3 pick (root for NYG hard lol).

No I agree.  It’s if the right guy is there.  But you go nowhere in this league without a QB and if it’s a reasonable opportunity to get one that’s what has to be done.

12 minutes ago, germ-x said:

No I agree.  It’s if the right guy is there.  But you go nowhere in this league without a QB and if it’s a reasonable opportunity to get one that’s what has to be done.

Absolutely - just could be that we get outbid.  Or if NYG does pick ahead of us at 3, we could see CLE/NYG pick and SF stay where they are to get Barkley.   Even getting the 3 pick doesn't guarantee we get the QB, unless we can do an AWESOME sell job that we'll take Barkley at 1.3 if SF tries to move down.    Plus,  the possibility still exists that Darnold decides to stay (which I think is a horrible mistake, but it's been done before, especially with CLE seemingly locked into 1.1 - their SoS is so much worse than SF's that they have to win 2 games to lose 1.1) is still there too.

Now, if CLE were to trade and sign for Cousins and took Barkley 1.1 - and both Rosen and Darnold declare, then the 3 pick guarantees one of those 2.   So much yet to be decided...the only thing we can control is going 0-5 and hopefully then getting the 3 pick (and we need help from a NYG win).

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Absolutely - just could be that we get outbid.  If NYG does pick ahead of us at 3, we could see CLE/NYG pick and SF stay where they are to get Barkley.   Even getting the 3 pick doesn't guarantee we get the QB, unless we can do an AWESOME sell job that we'll take Barkley at 1.3 if SF tries to move down.    Plus the possibility that Darnold decides to stay (which I think is a horrible mistake, but it's been done before) is still there too.

Now, if CLE were to trade and sign for Cousins and took Barkley 1.1 - and both Rosen and Darnold declare, then the 3 pick guarantees one of those 2.   So much yet to be decided...the only thing we can control is going 0-5 and hopefully then getting the 3 pick (and we need help from a NYG win).

Definitely.  I will say I also like Rudolph a lot as well.  Not top 10.  But in a trade back into the late 1st if he’s there.  Not a flashy player, but after Darnold I think he’s the most gifted passer in the draft when it comes to touch, accuracy, and throwing a player open.

3 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Definitely.  I will say I also like Rudolph a lot as well.  Not top 10.  But in a trade back into the late 1st if he’s there.  Not a flashy player, but after Darnold I think he’s the most gifted passer in the draft when it comes to touch, accuracy, and throwing a player open.

Trading from 2.x to late 1st to get that 5th year is definitely an option for the next tier of guys.   Just no way on earth we should spend even a top 10 pick on a QB not named Darnold or Rosen.  The quality of non-QB talent in the top 10 is just so much better than the rest of the QB's left.   And there will be a QB in Tier 2 who will fall that far to make a 2.x or late 1st (to get the 5th year option) possible.  The key Q is if Elway can resist the temptation to have to get "his guy" and over-reach horribly.  Which let's face it has been his MO of late.

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

Saquon Barkley or one of the elite OL in the top 5, trade back into the late 1st for Mayfield is my dream scenario. 

I'd be shocked if Saquon made it past 1.2.   SF & CLE look so locked into Barkley (CLE tried to trade for Cousins by offering the #12 & #33 pick - I suspect doing the same will get him this year, given Cousins won't sign a long-term deal with WAS....CLE isn't giving up 1.1 for him, but HOU 1st and their 2.1 seems very do-able).  Original story here - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-browns-are-reportedly-trying-to-trade-for-kirk-cousins-during-the-2017-nfl-draft/.

Cousins to CLE would be awesome for us in getting a QB - but I think the Barkley chances are about as close to 0 as it gets.  Truly the overall best player in the draft IMO.

I'm very wary of a QB whose teammates dislike him, that's a bad sign right there.  Honestly, with that, Rosen is on my do not draft list.  Darnold would be awesome.  One slightly scary situation though, is Lamar Jackson is gonna end up a top 5 pick.  Scouts see a 4% jump in completion % year over year, electric running ability, and he'll throw well for scouts because every NFL QB Prospect throws well to receivers with no defenders, and the scouting community will vault him into the top 5. 

While I want a franchise QB, I fear our situation at the tackle position could ruin whoever we draft.  

3 hours ago, elliot878 said:

I'm very wary of a QB whose teammates dislike him, that's a bad sign right there.  Honestly, with that, Rosen is on my do not draft list.  Darnold would be awesome.  One slightly scary situation though, is Lamar Jackson is gonna end up a top 5 pick.  Scouts see a 4% jump in completion % year over year, electric running ability, and he'll throw well for scouts because every NFL QB Prospect throws well to receivers with no defenders, and the scouting community will vault him into the top 5. 

While I want a franchise QB, I fear our situation at the tackle position could ruin whoever we draft.  

I don't know some guys are just cocky I know Greg Jennings didn't love Aaron Rodgers I'll take respect over love. 

I really hope we don't go the free agency route for qb. Barring injuries rarely do you ever land a game changer at,the position. Manning, Warner, Brees come to mind due to injury.

Archived