2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

I think Jackson is a lock for a first rounder, tbh. I've been impressed with a few highlights I've seen of him in the pocket. Think he will get a lot of hype once people start reviewing the tape. There will always be concerns about his body and taking hits in the NFL for sure. I'd love the guy though. We haven't had an explosive, special offensive player like that since...............................................................Clinton Portis? Oh no definitely prime Brandon Marshall. 

@Counselor I hate you for getting that chain hang low song stuck in my head 

32 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I think Jackson is a lock for a first rounder, tbh. I've been impressed with a few highlights I've seen of him in the pocket. Think he will get a lot of hype once people start reviewing the tape. There will always be concerns about his body and taking hits in the NFL for sure. I'd love the guy though. We haven't had an explosive, special offensive player like that since...............................................................Clinton Portis? Oh no definitely prime Brandon Marshall. 

@Counselor I hate you for getting that chain hang low song stuck in my head 

I agree that we lack explosive offensive talent but that doesn't mean we need to get it at QB. We can still get an explosive player at the RB/WR position. The possibility of getting Barkley excites me (if we don't, I really hope we look at Penny later). I like LJ but like I said, I'd only take him late rd 2/early rd 3 because I think if Darnold, Rosen and Baker are there, you have to take them ahead of LJ.

3 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

I agree that we lack explosive offensive talent but that doesn't mean we need to get it at QB. We can still get an explosive player at the RB/WR position. The possibility of getting Barkley excites me (if we don't, I really hope we look at Penny later). I like LJ but like I said, I'd only take him late rd 2/early rd 3 because I think if Darnold, Rosen and Baker are there, you have to take them ahead of LJ.

Yeah I haven't really done enough research on the draft yet so I'm not set on anything......just saying it would be really enjoyable to watch an explosive offensive player lol.

What we've been through the last three years? IT AIN'T RIGHT 

13 hours ago, Counselor said:

I really enjoy that we can have this conversation Germ-x. Without personal attacks and respect for each other's opinion. That can't be said in many places on this site. So thank you.

Haha same here.  It’s because everyone thinks they’re right.  Even in this forum everyone hits and misses.  I’ve been doing this long enough and have really liked players with very few flaws that sucked in the NFL and disliked players with a bunch of flaws that were successful.

In the case of Mayfield I could be completely proven wrong.  But I won’t deny that he scares the hell out of me, especially with a 1st round pick.  In the 3rd round I wouldn’t have an issue, he has some traits I like, but as a whole I see more reasons he’ll fail as a starter than succeed.

3 hours ago, Counselor said:

Tankathon came out with a new mock earlier tonight.

1.4 Minkah Fitzpatrick DB

2.38 Josh Allen QB

Really don't like were we are sitting right now in the draft right now. Really think Cousins is gonna be the play ah well got months to be wrong.

4 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Really don't like were we are sitting right now in the draft right now. Really think Cousins is gonna be the play ah well got months to be wrong.

Well we need Jimmy G and Niners to win three of their next games to really have a shot of moving up. I don't see it happening. And for the Giants to win at least two more to just be sure... I don't think that's happening with Geno. If anything with Trevor starting we will end up likely picking between 6-9.

Ya, I wont get my hopes up for a top 3 pick. Which is terribly sad, because this is absolutely a 3 player draft. Quenton Nelson is a hell of a player but look at Cleveland and Joe Thomas, even a 5 star, blue chip, HOF LT hasn't been able to raise the level of play for that offense.

I don't think Nelson is a talent that can get the offense from broken down to sputtering, rather he is a talent that can get a sputtering offense running smoothly.

The three talents that can take a truly broken offense and get them sputtering are Darnold, Rosen and Barkley. We are likely to miss out on all three. Sigh.

I do think there is a chance that SF gets some wins with Jimmy G. At this point, with Geno Smith driving the tank, I don't think we can catch the Giants. They are all in on tanking for a QB. And obviously CLE at #1 will take a QB.

I think we have a decent chance at #3, but little chance at 1/2 and that means no QB. To me that's disappointing but fine because Barkley is a freak talent. Take him, get a game-manager QB and invest heavily in OL.

13 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ya, I wont get my hopes up for a top 3 pick. Which is terribly sad, because this is absolutely a 3 player draft. Quenton Nelson is a hell of a player but look at Cleveland and Joe Thomas, even a 5 star, blue chip, HOF LT hasn't been able to raise the level of play for that offense.

I don't think Nelson is a talent that can get the offense from broken down to sputtering, rather he is a talent that can get a sputtering offense running smoothly.

The three talents that can take a truly broken offense and get them sputtering are Darnold, Rosen and Barkley. We are likely to miss out on all three. Sigh.

I do think there is a chance that SF gets some wins with Jimmy G. At this point, with Geno Smith driving the tank, I don't think we can catch the Giants. They are all in on tanking for a QB. And obviously CLE at #1 will take a QB.

I think we have a decent chance at #3, but little chance at 1/2 and that means no QB. To me that's disappointing but fine because Barkley is a freak talent. Take him, get a game-manager QB and invest heavily in OL.

There's a real chance CLE will go after Cousins.  They offered 2.1 and 1.12 for Cousins, and WAS said no.  That's the ideal scenario.  Because then it helps us land a top 3 talent - either with a top 3 pick, or the wilingness of CLE to move down.  If we get a top 3 pick, we make enough noise about taking Barkley if QB goes 1-2 that at very least SF stays put if they want Barkley.  

If CLE goes after Cousins, then at least it's an open competition to move up.

12 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Lamar Jackson has more rushing yards and rushing TD's than Barkley lol 

The thing is, Barkley's the focus of the PSU O, and the D knows it.   The PSU line is 2nd-worst in negative yardage plays given up at last count - 2 sophomores and a freshman at LT have really been exposed as better DL's have faced them.   If Barkley's not breaking off a big play, they are getting bottled up.

A better marker for Barkley's success has been his body of work - true success as a freshman vs. Big10 has such a good record of predicting NFL success.  Add in the physical skill profile, I believe the generational talent label sticks for sure.  

The problem with Jackson is that what he lacks as a QB right now are the key traits a NFL QB needs to succeed.   Given the Heisman hype and the dropoff after Darnold/Rosen, someone will overdraft him for sure - just pray it's not us.

The problem with Jackson is that what he lacks as a QB right now are the key traits a NFL QB needs to succeed.   Given the Heisman hype and the dropoff after Darnold/Rosen, someone will overdraft him for sure - just pray it's not us.

Yep, he is going top 10. He will blow up the combine. I wont fall for it. Scrambling QB's make it in this league. Lamar is a running QB. There is a difference.

I think a guy like Pat Mahomes is a better prospect than Lamar, but he was also my QB1 last draft.

Archived