2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

Giants bench Eli and are officially tanking :(

Sucks, but one of my backup plans to not getting Rosen or Darnold was signing Eli, drafting Barkley and investing in the LG/RT positions.

I think Eli could be talked into coming here on a discount, and it would be a short term deal, which is huge. If we could get him for 20M over 2, I take that over Tyrod on 50M over 3 or even a prove it deal w/ Tannenhill / Teddy.

I just think he could pull a classic 'beat up old QB who looks cooked but is revitalized for a few seasons on another team' type move. Its happened before.

To me in order of preference:

1) Darnold or Rosen

2) Barkley w/ trade up for Baker

3) Barkley w/ Eli to short term deal

If we cant get Rosen, Darnold or Barkley I hope for a trade down, although someone may separate themselves from the crowd, I don't see anyone else in this draft who we realistically would take that would be worth a top 5 selection.

Again I leave Quenton Nelson off the list because I don't see Elway going for a OG after such a poor season. And I sorta agree. We need a guy that can be the offensive face of this franchise and revitalize us in a monumental way. I just don't see Nelson doing that. I just cant see Elway going for an OG w/ a top 5 pick. Then again, he has stated he doesn't value RB that highly either with many of his moves, only to sign CJ to a big deal and draft Ball R2. So, who knows.

28 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Sucks, but one of my backup plans to not getting Rosen or Darnold was signing Eli, drafting Barkley and investing in the LG/RT positions.

I think Eli could be talked into coming here on a discount, and it would be a short term deal, which is huge. If we could get him for 20M over 2, I take that over Tyrod on 50M over 3 or even a prove it deal w/ Tannenhill / Teddy.

I just think he could pull a classic 'beat up old QB who looks cooked but is revitalized for a few seasons on another team' type move. Its happened before.

To me in order of preference:

1) Darnold or Rosen

2) Barkley w/ trade up for Baker

3) Barkley w/ Eli to short term deal

If we cant get Rosen, Darnold or Barkley I hope for a trade down, although someone may separate themselves from the crowd, I don't see anyone else in this draft who we realistically would take that would be worth a top 5 selection.

Again I leave Quenton Nelson off the list because I don't see Elway going for a OG after such a poor season. And I sorta agree. We need a guy that can be the offensive face of this franchise and revitalize us in a monumental way. I just don't see Nelson doing that. I just cant see Elway going for an OG w/ a top 5 pick. Then again, he has stated he doesn't value RB that highly either with many of his moves, only to sign CJ to a big deal and draft Ball R2. So, who knows.

I don't see Barkley dropping to 4 and I don't see Siemian not winning games. 

Well maybe we can pick third. With Jimmy G starting the Niners might be able to win two games. If we lose out they have a higher SOS than us currently not sure how it will be at the end but at three with Cleveland and NYG likely in front of us still it doesn't help with QB. But Jimmy could get a win over the Bears on Sunday. Darn that Cowboys victory we were so pumped about early on!

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

Well maybe we can pick third. With Jimmy G starting the Niners might be able to win two games. If we lose out they have a higher SOS than us currently not sure how it will be at the end but at three with Cleveland and NYG likely in front of us still it doesn't help with QB. But Jimmy could get a win over the Bears on Sunday. Darn that Cowboys victory we were so pumped about early on!

Or the chargers week 1 with a blocked fg.

9 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Where does Lamar Jackson fit in the draft process not necessarily for us just in General.  There was a qb stock up qb stock down and he was the top guy on the list.

Does he have the iq? I know he's improved every year. Can anyone see him going to Cleveland?

If we were to pass up Rosen, Darnold and Baker. I’d love him as a late day 2/early day 3 pick 

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Where does Lamar Jackson fit in the draft process not necessarily for us just in General.  There was a qb stock up qb stock down and he was the top guy on the list.

Does he have the iq? I know he's improved every year. Can anyone see him going to Cleveland?

1 hour ago, iLikeDefense said:

If we were to pass up Rosen, Darnold and Baker. I’d love him as a late day 2/early day 3 pick 

Lamar Jackson is a great athlete, even more physical talent than Deshaun Watson.  But he's nowhere close to NFL-ready.  He's more spread-offense, run-and-gun using his talent, than Watson was in college.  Jackson is more like Paxton Lynch profile-wise....with insane athletic traits that Lynch doesn't possess.    Watson's knock was that he wasn't elite physically, and that his arm strength would have problems once teams adjusted and the windows were smaller.  What has worked is that Watson's pocket awareness, his reading ability, and his ball placement/anticipation were just that advanced, and his agility, while not elite, played up because of those cerebral QB traits - recognizing the D / getting through progressions so quickly, he could use his good-but-not-great quickness to extend plays and make those splash gains.   Jackson's the exact opposite - lacks all those skills, but his physical prowess allows him to overcome it - that gets killed in the NFL until the cerebral skills catch up.   Given our experience with Lynch, Jackson and Allen should be on our "Avoid" lists given their draft slot - way above where they belong if you take away the hype IMO.

Some team is likely going to fall in love with Jackson's Combine workout and take him Round 1 (same deal with Allen) - it just better not be us.   As @iLikeDefense points out, take away the name and the Heisman hype, and just look at his NFL-ready traits - and he's a late Day 2/early Day 3 guy.  Project.   No thanks on our team, given that his hype will push him way before the right value comes into play.

Archived