Baseball is back? 60 game season incoming

DirtyDez

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Ahh yeah that's true. The owners started at half the season, reduced wages and the players countered with 110, full wages.

You're right. My bad.

I'd LOVE to have 110 or so games, but that appears to push the season well into November (I mean here in Pittsburgh they already don't draw because of an owner who has no real interest in fielding a competitive team, imagine what 20 degree temperatures will do to an already apathetic fan base? By then it's Steelers football anyway). All this is also contingent on getting started by early July. They need to wrap this up this week or early next week at the latest or things go derail. There will be a ramp up time to Spring Training 2.0 that may take a couple weeks logistically with travel and safety plannings. Then you need 2-3 weeks to get the players back in shape (mainly pitchers and their arms). That means the clock is ticking now. 

Edited by kwolf68

6 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

I'd LOVE to have 110 or so games, but that appears to push the season well into November (I mean here in Pittsburgh they already don't draw because of an owner who has no real interest in fielding a competitive team, imagine what 20 degree temperatures will do to an already apathetic fan base? By then it's Steelers football anyway). All this is also contingent on getting started by early July. They need to wrap this up this week or early next week at the latest or things go derail. There will be a ramp up time to Spring Training 2.0 that may take a couple weeks logistically with travel and safety plannings. Then you need 2-3 weeks to get the players back in shape (mainly pitchers and their arms). That means the clock is ticking now. 

we're not going to have 100+ games, owners have already said that theyre losing money whem games get played so more games means more money lost. we're running out of time for sure though, at this point they need to come to an agreement in the next couple/few weeks to have a season at all, my guess is that its around the 60-70 game mark.

8 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Do half the season, 81 games, it's that simple and it fits in the timeline. The two sides need to stop dithering and get it done. 

They need to get on it for no other reason than they dont want to be playing the World Series in Yankee Stadium in late October/November.
Baseball is not a winter sport.........

1 hour ago, Leader said:

They need to get on it for no other reason than they dont want to be playing the World Series in Yankee Stadium in late October/November.
Baseball is not a winter sport.........

Plus, the further into the NFL season it goes, the less the casual MLB fan is going to care about the WS if it isn't their team.

It's sad that none of this whatsoever surprises me. In an era where people need sports more than ever and the public perception of baseball/need for it is at the highest it's been since the "Steroid Era" coming off of 1994, the owners completely flush everything down the drain. Never change MLB, never change.

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It's sad that none of this whatsoever surprises me. In an era where people need sports more than ever and the public perception of baseball/need for it is at the highest it's been since the "Steroid Era" coming off of 1994, the owners completely flush everything down the drain. Never change MLB, never change.

so question... why should a business be required to operate at a loss?

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Still waiting on them to prove that. 

certainly its in the realm that they arent being truthful, its also very possible that they are. We literally dont know, and private businesses arent in the habit if opening up their books, itd be horrible practice to do so. 

IF youre only position is that they could be lying, do you not see a problem there? Why are they considering fewer games if theyre making money off them, wouldnt they want more?

19 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

certainly its in the realm that they arent being truthful, its also very possible that they are. We literally dont know, and private businesses arent in the habit if opening up their books, itd be horrible practice to do so. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm WITH you on this. I am just of the belief that they aren't telling the whole truth.

I work in a world of having numbers show what you want, which is why I am leaning that way. 

18 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Why are they considering fewer games if theyre making money off them, wouldnt they want more?

As for this part, I think the MLB and the MLBPA is having a you know what measuring contest to piss each other off to start until they actually sit down and work on a deal.