Cam Newton

El Ramster

6 hours ago, El ramster said:

Stop defending Scams character and start defending his QB play.. Or his QB play so bad that you've given up!

And the only thing you can defend is his honor? 

Do you think Goff is just THAT much better this year than he was as a rookie or is scheme/play-calling having a lot to do with it?

I can't defend his play in a way that anyone here would care to accept. People who have sat down and truly evaluated our offense knows the root of the problem. Cam ain't perfect, and he could be doing things better for sure, but our offensive scheme is extremely flawed. 

We have seen it with Stafford. We saw it a couple of years with Eli. The scheme matters. Newton still has a ton of desirable traits you want out of a QB. But his performance is going to be hindered in our offense. And there are only 4-5 QBs in the NFL that I think can succeed regardless of the situation.

Now whether you want to accept that is your choice. If you think Cam just sucks, then fair enough. Nothing I say will change your mind.

8 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Do you think Goff is just THAT much better this year than he was as a rookie or is scheme/play-calling having a lot to do with it?

I can't defend his play in a way that anyone here would care to accept. People who have sat down and truly evaluated our offense knows the root of the problem. Cam ain't perfect, and he could be doing things better for sure, but our offensive scheme is extremely flawed. 

We have seen it with Stafford. We saw it a couple of years with Eli. The scheme matters. Newton still has a ton of desirable traits you want out of a QB. But his performance is going to be hindered in our offense. And there are only 4-5 QBs in the NFL that I think can succeed regardless of the situation.

Now whether you want to accept that is your choice. If you think Cam just sucks, then fair enough. Nothing I say will change your mind.

cams numbers thru out his career have sucked.. He's a avg QB. This isn't an off year.. He had 10 amazing games!

That's the issue you seem to be having.. This isn't Cam starting off slow.. This is Cam being Cam.. 7 years of avg play.. Sans 10 games..

That's not an anomaly.. That's who he is. You don't get to say he holds desirable traits.. When he doesn't and the data backs it up.. AVG. 

16 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Cam isn't a rookie.. He's a veteran.. He should make do with what he has.. He should be much more cerebral. How dare you compare a rookie with no help.

to a 7 year old veteran QB who should know how to handle a NFL offense.. Cam should be doing much more.. These are facts.. Cam should be a leader.

Cam should be much much better then what he has shown us.. 

Edited by El ramster
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, indifference said:

Carolina had no cap space to sign Stills or Jackson. Ginn is not reliable, and drafting Ross or Westbrook or any rookie in this years draft isn't going to make Cam much better. Ross has what 1 reception through 3 games. A blue chip WR prospect then yeah maybe. The Curtis Samuel pick was confusing to me as well, especially when you just reached for CMC at 8. That being said, it probably wasn't the best idea to draft a DT in the first round after Cam got molested in the SB by Von and company. Michael Thomas, Spriggs, or Shepard would be much of better help to Cam right now. But at the end of the day, its not my problem. I'm not a Panthers fan so I really could care less. Just giving my $0.02

His pass blocking has been masked by his pocket awareness and mobility. Now that they're asking him to stay in the pocket more, it's going to be long season.

Yeah.... yeah they would.  The Panthers offense is reliant on a deep threat to make big plays down the field and bail them out of rough situations.  They don't have that.  You're trying to argue if they had a deep threat to take the top off of defenses and make big plays down the field (you know, the thing the Panther offense has been reliant on for years), it wouldn't make the Panthers quarterback any better.  Of course it would.  That lack of down field presence is one of many reasons the Panthers offense isn't working and likely isn't going to in the near future.

I wasn't confused by the Curtis Samuel pick, I wrote in my earlier post why I thought they did it, but it's not working as I think it was intended.  Just because someone is really fast doesn't mean they can stretch the field.  C.J. Spiller was really fast, I didn't see him watching very many 50 yard passes in Buffalo.  Tavon Austin is really fast, and that's a useful tool for getting around the corner on the jet sweep, but I don't see him making many big plays down the field either. 

I'd have to say for about 80% of the posters in this topic the last time they've seen Cam play a game was Super Bowl 50. From what I've read, majority of y'all in here have only watched highlights on SportsCenter or just checked the box score of the their games. 

This topic has turned into a "If you'd like to bash Cam Newton, reply here". It's honestly pathetic. Sure, let's discuss his stats and how he's regressed since his SB appearance but calling him out as a person outside of the game is outrageous. The guy has done nothing but give back to his Charlotte community since he's been in the league. Please taking your trolling elsewhere. 

49 minutes ago, Toughguy77 said:

I'd have to say for about 80% of the posters in this topic the last time they've seen Cam play a game was Super Bowl 50. From what I've read, majority of y'all in here have only watched highlights on SportsCenter or just checked the box score of the their games. 

This topic has turned into a "If you'd like to bash Cam Newton, reply here". It's honestly pathetic. Sure, let's discuss his stats and how he's regressed since his SB appearance but calling him out as a person outside of the game is outrageous. The guy has done nothing but give back to his Charlotte community since he's been in the league. Please taking your trolling elsewhere. 

I don't know anything about his personal character, but as a QB, he's a REALLY bad passer seemingly every time I watch him play.  I've heard he has had some good games, but man, even the Saints defense gives him serious trouble.  If the guy could throw an accurate pass to save his life, he might just be a perennial MVP candidate with all that athletic ability.  

Edited by Jlowe22

I watch him every week. I see the good and the bad. I think he peaked in 2015, but it's no coincidence he spent the offseason leading up to 2015 working with QB gurus to refine his mechanics, footwork and throwing motion. I'm not sure why that stopped, either. 

Untitled-1.jpg.1872e7d26b9a2be2b75f94b43

This play represents the Panthers offense. Only 3 receivers out on a route, all downfield with no underneath options. All are being blanketed, meanwhile Cam is still somehow being pressured.  But yeah, he is supposed to overcome that.

Cam is a 7 year vet, but he's not an elite QB. Expecting guys to overcome everything as if they are Brady or Rodgers (and Rodgers, as we saw during his down period, couldn't even do that) is ridiculous. He needs help. If you think the solution is getting rid of him, then you aren't watching the games and/or underestimating the value of a QB.  The scheme is horrendous. 

Same thing with Stafford. His performance is night and day from 2012-2014 and I feel certain coaching had something to do with it. 

Edited by iknowcool

15 hours ago, Toughguy77 said:

He's played the Vikings four times since being in the league, so I've seen him in those 4 games, plus the Super Bowl and NFC Conference Championship. In only two of those six games has he looked like a franchise QB. The last time I saw him play, was the Vikings almost exactly a year ago, and he looked like a 5th round rookie.

So my experience of watching him, mixed with OP's stats leads me to believe that Cam Newton is extremely average. Once his athleticism fails, and he has to rely strictly on his arm, he will become a waste of salary cap. The hype he gets for how being so average is far more "pathetic" than the bashing.

Edited by joru1000