Which *NEW* Head Coach will have the biggest impact on their new team?

aceinthehouse

Which *NEW* NFL Head Coach, will impact his team the most going forward?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who made the best hire?

• Joe Judge, New York Giants
    • Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
    • Matt Rhule, Carolina Panthers
    • Ron Rivera, Washington Redskins
    • Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns

34 minutes ago, Drained said:

Why do you think that?

I think McCarthy plays a lot to the Cowboys strengths (aside from the run game, I wouldnt be surprised if Zeke didnt have a great year in 2020) and the Cowboys are deserving of a deep playoff run - roster wise at least.

Hard to go any lower then rock bottom is what i'm saying. But if Rivera can get them to a 8-8 season and let say MM still gets the Cowboys to a 12-4 season with 1 or 2 wins in the playoffs. I think people will still give the nod to Rivera just because they were picking 2nd overall just the year before.

But then again Shanahan should have won coach of the year easily last year after what he pulled so I dunno.

If MM makes it to the NFC championship game. Rivera would have to do something pretty special for me to say he did a better job, but that's a big IF on MM part.

2 hours ago, Drained said:

Why do you think that?

I think McCarthy plays a lot to the Cowboys strengths (aside from the run game, I wouldnt be surprised if Zeke didnt have a great year in 2020) and the Cowboys are deserving of a deep playoff run - roster wise at least.

McCarthy isn't the play caller per the reports. He's keeping Kellen Moore in that role
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mccarthy-expects-that-moore-will-call-plays

He's a big fan of Kellen Moore – so much so that he'd have tried to pursue the young offensive coordinator, regardless of whether or not he'd been hired to be the Cowboys' head coach. "Kellen was someone that I was watching from afar, regardless of which opportunity worked out for myself personally," McCarthy said.
"The opportunity to work with Kellen was something I was going to pursue either way."

"I'm confident that Kellen can still be the play caller. That's the path we're going down," he said.

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

McCarthy isn't the play caller per the reports. He's keeping Kellen Moore in that role
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mccarthy-expects-that-moore-will-call-plays

He's a big fan of Kellen Moore – so much so that he'd have tried to pursue the young offensive coordinator, regardless of whether or not he'd been hired to be the Cowboys' head coach. "Kellen was someone that I was watching from afar, regardless of which opportunity worked out for myself personally," McCarthy said.
"The opportunity to work with Kellen was something I was going to pursue either way."

"I'm confident that Kellen can still be the play caller. That's the path we're going down," he said.

While the Offense is obviously different I do find it funny how Garrett was given all of the blame for the 2019 season despite the fact Kellen was also calling the plays last year.

We'll see how long that last with MM if the Cowboys struggle in the slightest or go on any kind of losing streak? MM, is no different IMO then Andy Reid, Jon Gruden , Mike Holmgren or any other Successful HC that was the primary play caller. They won't give it up for long!

Garrett only did because he knew the writing was on the wall , was trying anything to keep his job now that he himself was in the Wade Phillips role! Having to cater to one of Jerry's hand pick young proteges. 

Time will tell. MM is to smart to rock the boat this early.

4 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

While the Offense is obviously different I do find it funny how Garrett was given all of the blame for the 2019 season despite the fact Kellen was also calling the plays last year.

We'll see how long that last with MM if the Cowboys struggle in the slightest or go on any kind of losing streak? MM, is no different IMO then Andy Reid, Jon Gruden , Mike Holmgren or any other Successful HC that was the primary play caller. They won't give it up for long!

Garrett only did because he knew the writing was on the wall , was trying anything to keep his job now that he himself was in the Wade Phillips role! Having to cater to one of Jerry's hand pick young proteges. 

Time will tell. MM is to smart to rock the boat this early.

Nah. Garrett was so bad at calling plays and handling HC duties that the Jones's eventually took away his play calling duties in like 2013 because of it. 

• Like 2

On 4/12/2020 at 12:52 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Long overdue or not, history says that no team sees wholesale improvement in their first year.  Many units regress.  So while it is overdue, it's not going to help the Redskins win next year.

Is this actually true? I can only speak to the Saints but Gregg Williams and Rob Ryan did just the opposite. (then Spagnuolo's D was really bad but those were some pretty extraordinary circumstances that year)

10 minutes ago, Fray32 said:

Is this actually true? I can only speak to the Saints but Gregg Williams and Rob Ryan did just the opposite. (then Spagnuolo's D was really bad but those were some pretty extraordinary circumstances that year)

Did they change from a 3-4 to a 4-3?  Or vice versa?  Because that's the kicker.  If you are keeping the same kind of personnel around, there is a definite chance for a surge upward, but in all of the research that I did when we hired Rivera and Del Rio with all of the Redskins fans saying we were going to have a top unit, I didn't find that to be the case in Year One when switching schemes on a fundamental level like that. 

11 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Did they change from a 3-4 to a 4-3?  Or vice versa?  Because that's the kicker.  If you are keeping the same kind of personnel around, there is a definite chance for a surge upward, but in all of the research that I did when we hired Rivera and Del Rio with all of the Redskins fans saying we were going to have a top unit, I didn't find that to be the case in Year One when switching schemes on a fundamental level like that. 

Do you think our current personnel is more suited to a 3-4?  I'm sure most teams making the switch actually had personnel much more suited to a 3-4 than we did last year.

Payne is a 1T or 3T, he's not an NT, and we were forcing him into that role.

Both Kerrigan and Sweat are DEs forced into OLB roles.

Allen and Matt I. are pretty well suited to play 3T and/or 5T in a 3-4 or 4-3.

SDH is great in coverage, but struggles against the run.  It's better to have him at 4-3 WILL full time than it is having him play ILB in a 3-4.

Holcomb wasn't as good last year as his raw stats would suggest, but I don't see how switching to a 4-3 will hurt him.  

Bostic is JAG in either scheme.

Thomas Davis is well-suited to a SAM role in this defense.

I just don't see who would be much better in a 3-4 rather than a 4-3 on this current roster?  The only argument I guess you could make is that the 3-4 allows us to get more DL on the field, which is our strength on defense.  But that's not a good enough reason IMO, as we don't have a natural NT to make the scheme successful in the first place.

7 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Do you think our current personnel is more suited to a 3-4?  I'm sure most teams making the switch actually had personnel much more suited to a 3-4 than we did last year.

Payne is a 1T or 3T, he's not an NT, and we were forcing him into that role.

Both Kerrigan and Sweat are DEs forced into OLB roles.

Allen and Matt I. are pretty well suited to play 3T and/or 5T in a 3-4 or 4-3.

SDH is great in coverage, but struggles against the run.  It's better to have him at 4-3 WILL full time than it is having him play ILB in a 3-4.

Holcomb wasn't as good last year as his raw stats would suggest, but I don't see how switching to a 4-3 will hurt him.  

Bostic is JAG in either scheme.

Thomas Davis is well-suited to a SAM role in this defense.

I just don't see who would be much better in a 3-4 rather than a 4-3 on this current roster?  The only argument I guess you could make is that the 3-4 allows us to get more DL on the field, which is our strength on defense.  But that's not a good enough reason IMO, as we don't have a natural NT to make the scheme successful in the first place.

It's not whether or not they are better suited to one or the other.  The issue is that each player now has to learn a new system, where they may now have different players next to them, each learning the same thing.  Muscle memory is a big deal, especially having to think out plays and responsibilities.  On top of that, there are going to be limitations with Covid-19.  There will also be some players who are left without a position when this happens as well, and they will struggle to adapt.  

Again, the Ravens converting to a 3-4 from the 4-3 is a great example of big-time talent and a great coaching staff still struggling through a transition.  We have a lot less talent, and a coaching staff that is probably 2/3's that the Ravens had for the 4-3.  Will we be better than last year?  Probably, because we were at the bottom of the league in nearly all rankings.  But we won't break into the top 20, as history has shown.  

On 4/12/2020 at 8:37 AM, Dome said:

Rivera to the Redskins

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets Washington sneaky competitive before people even realize it’s happening.  

Edit: As far as making the playoffs, the NFC East title is about as attainable as it gets. 

Dont be so sure about the East. The Redskins were the most injured team in the NFL by some reports. The Eagles were like top 5. JG lost the Cowboys locker room after 10 years and we under achieved. The Giants are mid-rebuilt. I wouldnt be surprised in the least if all 4 teams are a tough out next year. 

On 4/12/2020 at 1:07 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

If Snyder stays out of it, yes.  However, I think he went the coach-centered approach because he wants to be involved again.  And if that's the case, fine, but own it like Jerry Jones does.  

You have anything meme-level misrepresentation about your team that drives you nuts? Mine is this comment about Jones. Jerry gave up significant control of the team **10 FREAKING YEARS AGO**! Lets say you are 25. 10 years ago you were a pubescent highschool kid trying stupid ways to get in trouble. That was the last time that Jerry was the be-all-end-all. Will McClay controls the draft. Stephen Jones controls the cap. The HC controls the roster. Jerry controls the Marketing. Its been that way for a decade. 

On 4/13/2020 at 5:18 PM, Calvert28 said:

Hard to go any lower then rock bottom is what i'm saying. But if Rivera can get them to a 8-8 season and let say MM still gets the Cowboys to a 12-4 season with 1 or 2 wins in the playoffs. I think people will still give the nod to Rivera just because they were picking 2nd overall just the year before.

But then again Shanahan should have won coach of the year easily last year after what he pulled so I dunno.

If MM makes it to the NFC championship game. Rivera would have to do something pretty special for me to say he did a better job, but that's a big IF on MM part.

If you are talking y-o-y game improvement you are probably right. But I would argue that McCarthy assembled the best overall staff - so I think we will have the most total success. 

37 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I wouldnt be surprised in the least if all 4 teams are a tough out next year. 

That kind of supports my point...

It’s not about the teams individually, but how winnable the division as a whole is. If you think all four teams are tough, it seems like you believe the same thing to an extent, that anyone could get hot and win the whole thing.