Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

On 12/28/2017 at 2:29 PM, texans_uk said:

Thing that gets me with the VVD signing, everyone knew he was a good defender when he was at Celtic, why do big clubs wait for other clubs to nurture these players? 

Yup another Celtic player, Mousa Dembele, is a good example. Signed on a free and now could go for 20m or more. Ridiculous no one made more of an effort to sign him after he had a great Championship season with Fulham. 

Eh, that sort of thinking on guys like VvD, Bailey, Mousa Dembele etc is in large part due to confirmation bias. 

There are plenty of players who get to big clubs, fail for whatever reason (pressure, lack of playing time, wrong formation or play style etc), only to shine at a lower club and then potentially be bought by a big club again later in their career. Not everyone's career trajectory is only upwards until they reach their peak in their late 20s-early 30s before they begin to lose it due to age.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2017 at 2:29 PM, texans_uk said:

Thing that gets me with the VVD signing, everyone knew he was a good defender when he was at Celtic, why do big clubs wait for other clubs to nurture these players? 

I feel like Chelsea got so much grief when they were constantly loaning players out. I like it though, Real has done it with Asensio and Vallejo. Buy cheap and let them develop at a first division side that doesn't have expectations of winning every time they step foot on the pitch

7 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

Yup another Celtic player, Mousa Dembele, is a good example. Signed on a free and now could go for 20m or more. Ridiculous no one made more of an effort to sign him after he had a great Championship season with Fulham. 

That’s the thing though, these players aren’t exactly playing for great teams or even in great leagues. Big teams arent gonna come calling. They’re gonna view that as such a leap. Going from Celtic to say United is such a big leap or going from Fulham to say West Ham is a big leap. Not everybody is built for that and so there is trepidation

10 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Every big club out there should have inquired, but its unsurprising that that's where Goretzka is signing

Can't help but feel that it was pretty much wrapped up far before this. It's almost impossible to beat Bayern to a signing from within the Bundesliga. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Can't help but feel that it was pretty much wrapped up far before this.

Oh, absolutely.  The fact that he was likely to sign with Bayern was even coded into FM18 icon_lol.gif

But if you're a Champions League club like Barca/Arsenal/PSG/Juve etc you needed to at least talk to his agent and let him know that you're interested and find out if there's any possibility that the interest might be mutual.

1 hour ago, PAW said:

If Liverpool sign a GK they'd move into being a top 5 team in the world with their current roster.  They paid a ton for van Dijk but he is going to improve them so much it is easily worth it.

In terms of....?

They were barely that in their own country, and its not like every other club in the world hasn't had the chance to get better either

1 hour ago, PAW said:

If Liverpool sign a GK they'd move into being a top 5 team in the world with their current roster.  They paid a ton for van Dijk but he is going to improve them so much it is easily worth it.

Really? People are going way overboard with Liverpool. The expectations need to be minimised or your just gonna be disappointed.

23 minutes ago, drd23 said:

In terms of....?

They were barely that in their own country, and its not like every other club in the world hasn't had the chance to get better either

They will stop leaking goals with VvD and a better GK.  Their attack is lethal.  I think they are clearly the 2nd best team in England with VvD and a new GK, and right there with City when healthy.

13 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Really? People are going way overboard with Liverpool. The expectations need to be minimised or your just gonna be disappointed.

Yeah.  I'm sorry, but the single biggest thing required to be a "Top 5 team in the world" is the biggest glaring hole with regard to Liverpool: Consistency.  VVD and a new GK don't fix that.  And, I'm sorry, but if/when Coutinho leaves (which will remove the single best CM by a stretch on that side), no Top 5 team in the world is featuring Emre Can and Jordan Henderson in its central midfield.