2020 Day 1 NFL Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

CWood21

Just now, CWood21 said:

Good thing you're not in charge.  IF the prospects in that 25-40 range are all comparable, you're doing yourself a disservice by not moving down a small bit and acquiring more draft picks.  More draft picks generally equals more chances for players to hit.  You put all your eggs in one basket and it turns into a nothing burger, what do you have to show for it?

So go from the bottom into the 25-40 range. 

Use 62, 94, 136, 175, 192, 208, 209, 236, 242 to get another pick in the 25-40 range. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

So go from the bottom into the 25-40 range. 

Use 62, 94, 136, 175, 192, 208, 209, 236, 242 to get another pick in the 25-40 range. 

You could give up ALL your picks, and it gets you to 40/41ish range.  But the problem is how many teams are going to go down a tier for some middling picks?

Just now, Leader said:

Rob Demovsky -  For months, Mel Kiper has mocked a WR to the Packers at No. 30. That finally changed in his final mock draft. And no, it's not a QB. It's a ... tight end.

////

Thats a pretty bad selection IMO. Wrong draft for that. 

Do.  Not.  Pay.  Attention.  To.  Mel.  Kiper.

He has gotten 8 out of 160 picks correct over the past five years.  8.  Eight.  Eight out of one hundred and sixty.

2008 - Keith Rivers
2009 - Brian Orakpo
2010 - Taylor Mays
2011 - Christian Ballard
2012 - Whitney Mercilus
2013 - Zach Ertz
2014 - Calvin Pryor
2015 - Erik Kendricks
2016 - Kamalei Correa
2017 - Forrest Lamp
2018 - Calvin Ridley
2019 - Chris Lindstrom and Noah Fant

For a team that has not drafted an ILB, IOL, WR or TE in the first round since AJ Hawk, Kiper has predicted the Packers would take a non-premium position 8 out of 13 times. 

Out of 13 chances and the Packers picking as high as 9th, 12th and 14th overall, Kiper has not been right about the Packers pick once.  If  you want a good indication of who the Packers WON'T draft, it's anyone Kiper predicted them to draft. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Going from an early-to-mid 2nd round pick and then not picking again until 136 is a LONG time go without a selection, and you lose a ton of flexibility.  I think it's more likely if the Packers move back from 30.

Honest trade up in the first is likely. Gute has shown he will go get his guy.

My point of my post is just more fan thinking... we haven’t had a really strong third rounder draft in what 4-6 years? They haven’t done much. GB’s money rounds are the 2nd and 4th. So my point being stay in the 1st and go up in the 2nd. Get two guys in that 25-40 range and more importantly guys you want.

Ted did this multiple times... it’s not a bad move.

Given GBs terrible third round history id rather get a better 2nd rounder. Then use one of the many 6th rounders to improve the 4th round pick.

Edited by Green19

Just now, CWood21 said:

You could give up ALL your picks, and it gets you to 40/41ish range.  But the problem is how many teams are going to go down a tier for some middling picks?

Pick some idiot team trying to rebuild.  Redskins, Dolphins, etc. 

Disclaimer: I know it's unlikely.  All 32 picks in the seventh round would probably be worth a 3rd round pick.

I'm just saying I don't care about anything past the 5th round this year. 

Edited by Outpost31

Going back to my Matt Miller picking Zack Baun for GB...let’s say this is the selection... do we all feel this is Gute putting value in positions they normally haven’t? Or because Baun is technically listed as an edge and has pass rush ability it’s like selecting an premier position in the first still?

Even though he would likely be a middle linebacker for GB that would flex out give the game situation. Just curious everyone’s thoughts.

Edited by Green19

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

I've got three pounds of wings marinating in the fridge. Gonna do some BBQ, some honey garlic, and some Valentina's extra hot.

It's been a long time since I've had a good wing.  What do you marinate yours in?

16 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Do.  Not.  Pay.  Attention.  To.  Mel.  Kiper.

He has gotten 8 out of 160 picks correct over the past five years.  8.  Eight.  Eight out of one hundred and sixty.

2008 - Keith Rivers
2009 - Brian Orakpo
2010 - Taylor Mays
2011 - Christian Ballard
2012 - Whitney Mercilus
2013 - Zach Ertz
2014 - Calvin Pryor
2015 - Erik Kendricks
2016 - Kamalei Correa
2017 - Forrest Lamp
2018 - Calvin Ridley
2019 - Chris Lindstrom and Noah Fant

For a team that has not drafted an ILB, IOL, WR or TE in the first round since AJ Hawk, Kiper has predicted the Packers would take a non-premium position 8 out of 13 times. 

Out of 13 chances and the Packers picking as high as 9th, 12th and 14th overall, Kiper has not been right about the Packers pick once.  If  you want a good indication of who the Packers WON'T draft, it's anyone Kiper predicted them to draft. 

This is the one thing we've agreed on week. :D

Interesting to look back at Matt Miller Way to Early Projections from last year. Interesting how high he was on Epenesa...

Prediction
1    Chase Young, EDGE (OSU)
2    Walker Little, OT (Stanford)
3    AJ Epenesa, EDGE (Iowa)
4    Jake Fromm, QB (Georgia)
5    Andrew Thomas, OT (Georgia)
6    Grant Delpit, S (LSU)
7    Jerry Jeudy, WR (Bama)
8    Tua Tagovailoa, QB (Bama)
9    Dylan Moses, LB (Bama)
10    Tee Higgins, WR (Clemson)
11    Derrick Brown, DL (Auburn)
12    Laviska Shenault, WR (Colorado)
13    Justin Herbert, QB (Oregon)
14    CeeDee Lamb, WR (Oklahoma)
15    Raekwon Davis, DL (Bama)
16    Trevon Diggs, CB (Bama)
17    K'Lavon Chaisson, EDGE (LSU)
18    Henry Ruggs, WR (Bama)
19    Terrell Lewis, EDGE (Bama)
20    CJ Henderson, CB (Florida)
21    Jacob Eason, QB (Washington)
22    *Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR (Michigan)
23    Colby Parkinson, TE (Stanford)
24    Anfernee Jennings, EDGE (Bama)
25    Jaylon Johnson, CB (Utah)
26    Trey Adams, OT (Washington)
27    Richard LeCounte, S (Georgia)
28    Tyler Biadasz, C (Wisconsin)
29    Kenneth Murray, LB (Oklahoma)
30    Travis Etienne, RB (Clemson)
31    Paddy Fisher, LB (Northwestern)
32    Kenny Willekes, EDGE (Michigan State)

Edited by Brit Pack

40 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Good thing you're not in charge.  IF the prospects in that 25-40 range are all comparable, you're doing yourself a disservice by not moving down a small bit and acquiring more draft picks.  More draft picks generally equals more chances for players to hit.  You put all your eggs in one basket and it turns into a nothing burger, what do you have to show for it?

2015 draft?

Granted we didn't trade up, but that was a nothing draft for us.  And the first round in general was pretty bad.

Fun fact....relating to the 2015 draft.  We now have two second rounders from that draft on our roster.  Preston Smith and Funchess.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Going back to my Matt Miller picking Zack Baun for GB...let’s say this is the selection... do we all feel this is Gute putting value in positions they normally haven’t? Or because Baun is technically listed as an edge and has pass rush ability it’s like selecting an premier position in the first still?

Even though he would likely be a middle linebacker for GB that would flex out give the game situation. Just curious everyone’s thoughts.

I stopped reading at matt miller

• Like 1