11th Pick Mekhi Becton

Bobby816

Watching Becton, you rarely see him move back. Hes like a wall, once he usually knocks the defender back. You don't really see him getting beat either, very quick feet. a 6'7 365 lb wall with quick feet and long arms 35". 

I look at our OL differently today. Becton has all pro talent. 

• Like 2

My full report FWIW: 

Strengths:
An absolute mountain of a man with huge hands, long arms, and incredibly distributed 360+ pound frame. Truly a tap-dancing bear at that size with how light on his feet he is with mirroring and matching speed rushers. Really deep initial kick step that, when paired with his size and arm length, gives him a serious advantage around the edge against speed rushers in eliminating that path to the QB. He'll throw some Mike Tyson level haymakers at his opponent to get them off balance and off path early in the engagement, very apparent he plays with a strong upper body and is imposing at the POA. Has moments of absolutely mugging his man, throwing body blows after the whistle and driving him out of the next play, especially love how he looks to punish guys at the 2nd level. Not elite by any means, but he plays with really good posture which is absolutely necessary at his size. Really wide, powerful base that allows him to consistently play with good balance when being met by power rushers. Supposedly was poorly graded against Notre Dame and Clemson, but I actually saw a lot of dominant stretches and promising tape from both games more so than struggles.

Weaknesses:
Big boom bust potential here considering his tantalizing speed+athleticism combo is also met by some serious lapses in technique. Serious inconsistencies between start and end of games, tends to get lazy with his technique and will need refinement in the mechanical areas of his game to be great down in and down out. Really needs to work on his hand placement at times, tends to resort to an outside hugging motion too often when he needs to take the decisiveness to punch his man in the chest. Really bad tendency to pause his footwork at the POA when rushers are still pressing the edge, allowing them to win even when he beats them to the spot, needs to maintain fluidity throughout the engagement

Takeaway:
The physical tools are there and the majority of his tape is excellent with lapses of errors and inconsistencies. That being said, none of his issues are difficult to correct and he flashes moments of already putting all of the pieces together. With better coaching and conditioning at the NFL level, Becton has the potential to be one of the truly special LTs in the NFL and at worst is a better-than-average option on the blindside. 

• Like 2

A pick like this is why it's kind of hard to come back to this board, I love how people say same ole Jets... but same ole Jet fans. No matter who we pick, this board is going to hate it. Douglas from day one has been all about improving the offensive line and he's done exactly that throughout free agency and now the draft. With Higgins, Pittman, Mims, Shenault and others still on the board, it's not like we completely missed the boat on WR's. If we add one of those with our second round pick, it'll be a slam dunk draft. Improved line means Bell will be better, maybe we'll actually use him in the passing game next year. Herndon will be back to go with Griffin. Crowder, Perriman and one of those four isn't explosive, but by no means pedestrian. 

• Like 5

I would have preferred Wirfs but I think Becton has the ability to eventually be a great LT. Even if we run with Egoda and Fant at T, Becton can step in at G this year and be a dominating force. Hopefully within a year or two he’d be able to make the switch to LT. I’d give the pick a B+

my hopes for round two are Higgins, Mims, T. Johnson, Pittman, Hennessy, Cushenbery, J. Jones, Edwards, , G. Davis, Claypool, Shenault, Diggs and J.Johnson

Edited by Rich51

2 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Any light on what it was? Performance enhancing/weed etc

It appears marijuana. And he is claiming it was his 1st time ever and a mistake. Not buying that for a second. Highly doubt his 1st time ever doing anything with marijuana was at 21 yrs old right before his biggest interview ever.

• Like 1

I don't think I've seen so many clips of an OL just tossing DEs to the ground.  If you can't see how special this guy could be you should stop scouting.  His issue is technique something that can be taught.  You can't teach what he has already though which is why he is truly a unique prospect.

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I don't think I've seen so many clips of an OL just tossing DEs to the ground.  If you can't see how special this guy could be you should stop scouting.  His issue is technique something that can be taught.  You can't teach what he has already though which is why he is truly a unique prospect.

But are these Edge guys even any good is what I’m asking. It appears he only faced 1 legit edge in Okwara who was known to already have a poor 2019 and has his questions. To add onto that Becton actually hasn’t had very many NFL type pass sets.

I can agree that he has skill. But the tape that will transfer over to the NFL just isn’t there for me as an 11th pick. He didn’t show he can beat NFL talent regularly, has little to no technique and failed a drug test.

Its also an odd offseason. So teaching him technique when it’s virtual won’t be easy.