1.22 - MIN: Justin Jefferson WR/LSU (Jersey #18)

RpMc

I watched the first two plays and thought... he did say “outside” right? Lol

because neither was, the first was a tight split, off the line, which is a slot set and the second was a pure slot set. 

then the outside clips started coming in. 

• Like 1

Love his route running in the red zone there — the slant-corner and the stop and go fade . Ball skills are excellent too.

I like this scouting report:

Football Outsiders’ Playmaker Score also loves Jefferson, has him as the 3rd best WR in the draft (after Lamb and Jeudy). The write up points out that if his production stats were adjusted for playing with Chase (a 1st round talent), Jefferson would be nearly tied for 2nd place with Jeudy.

Just seems like the worst case scenario here is a very good flanker/slot WR2. The upside is a Keenan Allen or Diggs level star, though no doubt with his counting stats limited by the Vikings scheme. 

• Like 2

The further removed we get from Thursday night, the more it feels like the Vikings just should not have been able to land this talented of a player at pick 22.

Folks seemed to have over thought Jefferson quite a bit this year (really the whole WR class tbh), but he looks like a guy who'd be the top receiver most years.

Maybe it's the purple classes, but the more I read and the more I watch, the more i love this pick. Watching his cut ups gives me the same feeling I got watching Michel Thomas, where you just knew he was going to be good. I just wasn't sure how good, but at least good felt certain.

Edited by Dolmonite26
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

The further removed we get from Thursday night, the more it feels like the Vikings just should not have been able to land this talented of a player at pick 22.

Folks seemed to have over thought Jefferson quite a bit this year (really the whole WR class tbh), but he looks like a guy who'd be the top receiver most years.

Maybe it's the purple classes, but the more I read and the more I watch, the more i love this pick. Watching his cut ups gives me the same feeling I got watching Michel Thomas, where you just knew he was going to be good. I just wasn't sure how good, but at least good felt certain.

It was said to be a deep WR class, this just may be the consequence of that. 

Edited by vikingsrule

So this is fun. This is the 2019 bowl game between LSU and UCF. There are lots of battles between UDFA Nevelle Clarke (who had a mid round draftable grade) and Justin Jefferson. Note: these are plays of Jefferson playing on the outside.

First video is Clarke anticipating the smash route and getting the deflection. 

Then a little later on, Jefferson gets the last laugh with an amazing end zone grab for the TD. The coverage wasn't bad, just the throw and catch was better!

• Like 1

Really nice work by Jefferson on the TD: slows down a little once he gets the angle, to shield off the CB, then accelerates and makes a difficult catch.

Big part of Diggs and Thielen’s success as deep targets and contested catch winners is this kind of body control and nuances late in the route.

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Really nice work by Jefferson on the TD: slows down a little once he gets the angle, to shield off the CB, then accelerates and makes a difficult catch.

Big part of Diggs and Thielen’s success as deep targets and contested catch winners is this kind of body control and nuances of late in the route.

i love this. it's a technique that small NBA players like Tony Parker use to finish at the rim against much bigger players:

it's highly effective in both leagues if you can get the balance and feel for it. ex: Tony Parker consistently had one of the highest shooting percentages around the rim, despite that stat usually being dominated by larger players (Parker is 6'2). I'm a big fan of cross-training between sports and i think the principle of using your body to shield your defender from the ball is so inherent in sports like basketball and soccer that NFL teams should incorporate some drills from those sports to teach their receivers.

/end rant

I like Jefferson. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, RpMc said:

Who has some dip or salsa?

Simmer down there big guy!  You don't have to compete against receivers taken before you.  The only guy you need to beat is the DB trying to cover you.  Concentrate on that, and you'll be fine.

38 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Simmer down there big guy!  You don't have to compete against receivers taken before you.  The only guy you need to beat is the DB trying to cover you.  Concentrate on that, and you'll be fine.

did you say that to Randy Moss when he basically said the same thing in '98, abut being drafted in the twenties...?