Niners traded up for Brandon Aiyuk at 25 WR

49erurtaza

59 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

So neither of you paid attention to the draft interviews? o.O

Alrighty then!

If you're talking about the ones they give during the draft, I tend to just zone them out and not pay attention. If you're talking about interviews pre and post draft, no, I don't watch. If it's written about, I'll read about what is said later. I have no interest in rookie interviews. 

soon after the 49ers selected Brandon Aiyuk with the 25th overall pick, Samuel asked receivers coach Wes Welker for Aiyuk’s phone number. “I knew how hard it is to be as good as you want to be in this offense, without thinking,” Samuel said. “I gave him a call and was like, ‘Hey, man, I just want you to know, it’s going to take time.’ “He’s got it harder than I do now. Because I was around the coaches and able to use the coaches as much as possible. With him, it’s just a Zoom call. It’s hard to listen to a guy telling you what to do and not being able to go out there on the field. I told him, ‘You just have to lock in, pay attention.'”

Samuel said he told Aiyuk to call him, Kendrick Bourne or Welker with any questions. It will help if Aiyuk can get some on-field work before training camp. On Wednesday, Jimmy Garoppolo broached the idea of some player-organized workouts this summer. “Jimmy told us where he was at, and a couple guys going back a little early,” Samuel said. “I’m out here in Houston training with McKinnon and a couple more guys.”

Deebo Samuel helping Brandon Aiyuk in rookie transition

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/13/deebo-samuel-helping-brandon-aiyuk-in-rookie-transition/

• Like 1

Interesting that deebo didn't tell aiyuk to call Jimmy 

I want deebo and Jimmy running routes on the side right now, even if they aren't supposed to. 

Aiyuk should move in with deebo or Jimmy. They can quarantine together. Make it happen and start getting that timing down. Would be a huge head start 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, N4L said:

I want deebo and Jimmy running routes on the side right now, even if they aren't supposed to. 

Aiyuk should move in with deebo or Jimmy. They can quarantine together. Make it happen and start getting that timing down. Would be a huge head start 

In the middle of a pandemic, I wouldn't advise guys moving in together just to build tighter cohesion. The rest of the NFL is in the same boat. It is what it is. 

Aiyuk will eventually get there. It will happen in its own time. Rookie WRs will never hit the ground running in this offense, so to speak. I just want all our players to remain healthy and vigilant during this time period. I could care less about chemistry right now tbh..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N4L said:

My guess is that he was telling Aiyuk to reach out to the WR group for help learning the routes and technique he will be required to know. What I find interesting is he told Aiyuk to call Bourne. I know Bourne is not a fan favorite here, but I actually think Bourne is a pretty good WR and might have the best hands of all of our WRs. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

In the middle of a pandemic, I wouldn't advise guys moving in together just to build tighter cohesion. The rest of the NFL is in the same boat. It is what it is. 

Aiyuk will eventually get there. It will happen in its own time. Rookie WRs will never hit the ground running in this offense, so to speak. I just want all our players to remain healthy and vigilant during this time period. I could care less about chemistry right now tbh..

The risk is very minimal imo for moving in together. Aiyuk could get tested once a week for 2 weeks before coming out here and it would be fine. They could quarantine together. If they both are healthy going into it, then it wouldn't matter very much. I think both Jimmy and Aiyuk would also be considered low risk because I am sure they both have undergone extensive medical testing and therefore the likelihood of having an undiagnosed pre-existing condition is very low. 

The rest of the NFL being in the same boat is actually an argument for aiyuk moving here soon, it would give us a head start. Its a complicated offense and it took even a very polished WR in deebo about 6 months to fully grasp it. I don't want aiyuk to have a built in excuse heading into the season. Fair or unfair, the trade up has put additional pressure on him to perform immediately, especially considering our superbowl window is now. 

I am also looking at this as NFL covid cases are an inevitability rather than something preventable. So, through that lense, the nominal increase in risk from aiyuk moving is worth the increase in potential chemistry etc etc

(also, if you could care less that means that you care some lol couldn't care less means you care so little that you could not care any less but it doesn't really matter lol)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

My guess is that he was telling Aiyuk to reach out to the WR group for help learning the routes and technique he will be required to know. What I find interesting is he told Aiyuk to call Bourne. I know Bourne is not a fan favorite here, but I actually think Bourne is a pretty good WR and might have the best hands of all of our WRs. 

bourne has a rep of running the wrong route. Its one reason why he has been so inconsistent. He did come on strong at the end of last year though after he played with a lot more focus.

He is the longest tenured WR on our roster, so I think his name was just included by default. 

I don't care if they quarantine together, don't care if they don't. However small the risk, there's still some risk, and I'm not going to get on anyone for feeling it's not worth it. I don't think the random routes and throwing with Jimmy is a huge boon at this point (I never feel those type of workouts are that beneficial), but I do think studying with other receivers, learning the playbook and getting advice from other receivers and coaches on plays and routes could be a big help, though they can certainly do that remotely as well. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, N4L said:

bourne has a rep of running the wrong route. Its one reason why he has been so inconsistent. He did come on strong at the end of last year though after he played with a lot more focus.

He is the longest tenured WR on our roster, so I think his name was just included by default. 

No, I doubt that. Sanders, Samuel and Bourne were very close last year and worked out together before and after practice. His name wasn't included by default. And he can help Aiyuk understand the offense better and what Shanahan is looking for from his WRs. 

17 minutes ago, N4L said:

I think that's why his ceiling is a rotational WR, not a starting one. But, with that said, he's pretty money on 3rd downs and when the is thrown his way, he almost always catches it. I think he got a bad rap after the MNF Seahawks game at home where he dropped a few key passes, but outside of that game, he's very sure handed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

I think that's why his ceiling is a rotational WR, not a starting one. But, with that said, he's pretty money on 3rd downs and when the is thrown his way, he almost always catches it. I think he got a bad rap after the MNF Seahawks game at home where he dropped a few key passes, but outside of that game, he's very sure handed. 

He had some dropsies in the off season as well during camp and the like. Its weird - seems to come in spurts. Sometimes, he's got really nice hands, sometimes they are stones. Not really a natural, so maybe it's just one of those things where he needs to be in a groove. 

Honestly with Bourne I just think it's focus. His drops seem to come from him trying to make a move before he has the ball. I think his hands are very good but he just needs to focus on catching the ball before all else. I think Bourne will be a key player in our offense this coming year and I'm very glad we were able to bring him back. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Honestly with Bourne I just think it's focus. His drops seem to come from him trying to make a move before he has the ball. I think his hands are very good but he just needs to focus on catching the ball before all else. I think Bourne will be a key player in our offense this coming year and I'm very glad we were able to bring him back. 

For sure. He's pretty reliable on 3rd down and is a sneaky option because he's not a game-breaker. The focus will always be on Deebo, Kittle, and now Aiyuk. Bourne is the guy who finds holes and moves the chains, like Trent Taylor but further down field.

On 5/14/2020 at 9:39 AM, NinerNation21 said:

Deebo and Bourne are the leaders in the wr room. Make sense to call them to first. Also I think Bourne is a solid wr for us. But he is what he is at this point. It's why we drafted 3 wr in the last 2 drafts with premium picks. 

On 5/15/2020 at 11:36 AM, sherm said:

Deebo and Bourne are the leaders in the wr room. Make sense to call them to first. Also I think Bourne is a solid wr for us. But he is what he is at this point. It's why we drafted 3 wr in the last 2 drafts with premium picks. 

Kendrick Bourne is remarkable for his consistent "good" play. He's been the 3rd - 4th receiver on the depth chart for a few seasons now, neither ascending nor descending from his position. This is a fairly rare thing for young players in sports, especially football. It seems like everyone keeps expecting (until this year, perhaps) Bourne to either lose his spot or to blow up, and he keeps improving incrementally every year, right in step with the team.

Your #3 receiver, everybody...Kendrick Bourne (now that I've said that, Jalen Hurd will immediately supplant him).