1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

13 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree. Love's issue isn't about command and poise.  He's improved tremendously in both areas.  His issue is accuracy and consistency in throwing.  He's gotten tons of reps in training camps and OTAs while Rodgers sat or was out. 

I think he knows the offense, probably very well, shows a calmness in the pocket.  His downfall is his accuracy.  It hasn't gotten much better with the reps he's gotten.  I think he's a bridge or backup QB at best.

I think you are selling him short on the accuracy thing.

Accuracy is reflection of footwork and football processing ability.

He's gotten better at both, but still isn't there.  Kind of like the accuracy.

Clemments has done a nice job with him.  We could see a whole lot more from him after another year with Clemments.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Clemments has done a nice job with him.  We could see a whole lot more from him after another year with Clemments.

Agree on Clements.  Just don't think he's going to get there to be a consistent starting QB in the NFL.  It would be great if he did though.  The Packers should continue to develop him and see.

• Like 1

Yup!--I think many of us recognize that Love has gotten better, yet at the same time, he still has the same difficulties, just to a somewhat lesser degree. I absolutely do not want to pose as any source on training NFL quarterbacks, but I would share an uncomfortable feeling I have about Love simply based on my experience coaching high school football. Now, of course, it can be said that I am using just a few examples to share a possible concern. And that is true! But in the many years that I did coach, even at a much simpler level, I consistently found that the real good quarterbacks just had the innate ability to lead guys open, to throw into tight spaces successfully, to know when not to throw the ball and rarely missed an open receiver. So maybe I am way off base, but when I saw Love fire that long pass to the tight end who was double covered, I just couldn't help but remember so many kids who naturally would have never thrown that pass.

• Like 1

The defense "got" Love on that play.  It was a poor read.  He thought he saw one thing, when it was in fact, another.

Kind of like what happened to #12 against the 49ers for most of the game. 

In other words?  It happens to the very best of them.

I feel this way about Love for this year.  I'm more comfortable with him being a 2-3 game starter than I am him getting us out of a game.  I think if he prepares with the 1's and has a real gameplan, he will do better than if he is just thrust in there and has to score points to win a game.  In other words, I think he's more of a thinker than reactor, if that makes any sense.

I'm not excited about his growth this off-season...but I am happy.  He got better.  As stated, he's still not there.  And that is fine.  I'm not over the moon for him, but I am at least satisfied.

23 hours ago, vegas492 said:

He's made strides, but I'm surprised at just how much of a project he is .. especially for a 1st round pick.  I thought he was much further advanced.  Hopefully it all comes together and we've got a 10 year quality starter on our hands.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He's made strides, but I'm surprised at just how much of a project he is .. especially for a 1st round pick.  I thought he was much further advanced.  Hopefully it all comes together and we've got a 10 year quality starter on our hands.

Isn’t he more of a project though because unlike other 1st round QBs… he isn’t really getting on field development time?

Like Josh Allen was a mess his rookie year and I want to say his second year as well. But he got games and games to work thing out, so it’s very much sink or swim. These guys development go fast because they either hit or don’t and if they dont we are done with them and stop following their individual development. No one is checking in on Josh Rosen to see if he has gotten better as a QB. The fact is he isn’t good enough to be a starter or at this point a backup so why waste time thinking about it or looking over the limited tape.

The issue with Love is he needs in game meaningful reps now. 3 more preseason games next year… all of the offseason… etc, isnt going to be enough for him to make the next jump (if he is going to make that next jump).

Edited by Green19

16 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think we all know that he was a fringe first round pick.  He had both plusses and minuses on his tape.  But, he was a QB with a lot of upside, hence the first round pick.

If he were a second round pick, I think we'd all be happy with where he is now.

That covid year really set him back.  He was a dude that really needed coaching and reps.  We are seeing that now.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Isn’t he more of a project though because unlike other 1st round QBs… he isn’t really getting on field development time?

Like Josh Allen was a mess his rookie year and I want to say his second year as well. But he got games and games to work thing out, so it’s very much sink or swim. These guys development go fast because they either hit or don’t and if they dont we are done with them and stop following their individual development. No one is checking in on Josh Rosen to see if he has gotten better as a QB. The fact is he isn’t good enough to be a starter or at this point a backup so why waste time thinking about it or looking over the limited tape.

The issue with Love is he needs in game meaningful reps now. 3 more preseason games next year… all of the offseason… etc, isnt going to be enough for him to make the next jump (if he is going to make that next jump).

It would be interesting to see if real game action would quicken the pace of development, or set him back further.  With defenses actually game planning against him it would really be a major test for him.

26 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It would be interesting to see if real game action would quicken the pace of development, or set him back further.  With defenses actually game planning against him it would really be a major test for him.

With a week of game planning and running with the 1's, I think he'd both pass that test with a C+ or B-.  He's gonna screw up...but I think there would be more good than bad.  But...much would depend on the game plan from MLF.  He can't run a plan like he did against KC, that is for sure.

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

With a week of game planning and running with the 1's, I think he'd both pass that test with a C+ or B-.  He's gonna screw up...but I think there would be more good than bad.  But...much would depend on the game plan from MLF.  He can't run a plan like he did against KC, that is for sure.

That was the most disappointed that I have ever been with LaFleur.  

• Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 9:00 AM, vegas492 said:

The problem with the KC was it was late in the week when Rodgers got hit with covid.  The Packers had to travel to KC and much of the Rodgers gameplan was in place.  They didn't have a lot of time to make huge changes so they scaled it back just a little.  

Another issue is Love's snaps, Granted he's not getting 1st team game snaps. But he's gotten a ton of snaps in OTAs and TC in the past 2 years.  More snaps than many, if not all, backup QBs in the NFL.  There no question he has improved in command and leadership.  I believe accuracy will be his downfall.  Hoping Clements can help him with that.

I wonder if the coaching staff has a scaled down game plan in place for Love just in case another situation like KC happens again this year. I know you usually game plan more for your opponent each week, but it would seem smart to have a list of plays that the backup QB is comfortable with and excels at running these plays. 

Maybe they do, maybe all teams do. I guess I don't know. 

24 minutes ago, Tperk said:

I wonder if the coaching staff has a scaled down game plan in place for Love just in case another situation like KC happens again this year. I know you usually game plan more for your opponent each week, but it would seem smart to have a list of plays that the backup QB is comfortable with and excels at running these plays. 

Maybe they do, maybe all teams do. I guess I don't know. 

Don't know for sure but I think he's getting close to knowing the offense very well and where everyone is supposed to go.  It's where he's made big strides this past year.  

I think he knows the offense.  I think he knows where to go with the ball upon looking at a defense.  It's getting it there accurately that needs work. Jmo

• 2 weeks later...

You all disappoint me.

The bright shining light in that Vikes game was Jordan Love's performance.

4 of 5 for 65 yards.  Rating of 118.7.

Only kindda kidding.

I like that when there was a time out, his helmet was on and he was with Rodgers and MLF.

When he got into the game, he didn't look rattled.  He looked calm.

And in that scenario, he's throwing little stuff against a deep prevent.  So they were "gimmes".  But, when you take throws like that, it is very easy to forget the fundamentals of footwork.  His footwork looked good.  Balls were zipping in there, no ducks.

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You all disappoint me.

The bright shining light in that Vikes game was Jordan Love's performance.

4 of 5 for 65 yards.  Rating of 118.7.

Only kindda kidding.

I like that when there was a time out, his helmet was on and he was with Rodgers and MLF.

When he got into the game, he didn't look rattled.  He looked calm.

And in that scenario, he's throwing little stuff against a deep prevent.  So they were "gimmes".  But, when you take throws like that, it is very easy to forget the fundamentals of footwork.  His footwork looked good.  Balls were zipping in there, no ducks.

I'm glad they put him in for that

Edited by incognito_man