1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

21 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I haven't read all through this thread, but one thought did bounce around in my head enough to collide with a receptor or two.

Had it become more attractive to choose QB Love this year, precisely because there may be very little time for new guys to get ready for the season............ so a guy that obviously is likely to sit for a season or two, will not impact the team negatively by the short prep time this year.

Of course, if an injury happens to #12 all bets are off, but that is another scenario.

I am actually wondering if this pick is more attractive if they are thinking that both the NFL and college football won't play a full season in the fall.

Less time for rookies to get ready, shorter season so fewer injuries to starters, fewer games for rookies to break into the lineup.  Essentially a good season for a rookie backup to sit and not worry about passing on a "play now" player that won't get a chance either.  On top of that, with a shorter college season, a much less predictable draft next year.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, this might be the part that I'm most intrigued by.

Yea, certainly no excuses on the motivation front now. With all the criticism from last year and now this selection, he must have a chip the size of a mountain on his shoulder. If this chip doesn't get him to improve this year, I don't think he physically has it in him anymore to perform at that level.

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am not even sure why it would be true.  Rodgers will likely go out of his way to embrace Love as a not so subtle dig towards Favre.

or he calls favre and says i get how you were feeling now.  either way i dont think it really matters, as i think the least debatable result that everyone is guessing about is that rodgers will have a renewed chip on his shoulder.

2 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Yea, certainly no excuses on the motivation front now. With all the criticism from last year and now this selection, he must have a chip the size of a mountain on his shoulder. If this chip doesn't get him to improve this year, I don't think he physically has it in him anymore to perform at that level.

I am all for Rodgers getting a renewed chip on his shoulder and returning to MVP form.  Let's go Rodgers, get that trade value jacked up ASAP.

We have played 6 times starting 2015 and are up 4-2.

Anyway, even though I am not a fan of the Seahawks I can appreciate the fact that Russell Wilson is elite and Carroll is a fairly good coach. Also, I like that they are aggressive about trades to improve the team and help the team out instead of our franchise which has mainly relied on the draft. Last year was a big surprise but I want to see a little more of that aggressiveness and high risk/reward moves from them.

-in 2 of our last 7 seasons, rodgers couldn't play every game all season due to injury. further, when he has to rush back from injuries to help keep the team competitive, rather than fully recovering first, this hurts the team down the stretch. when rodgers' mobility goes, so does our offense.

-as stated, we now have rodgers with a reason to be motivated. we will see what he does with that. at this point, he is a guy who is a mild concussion away from realizing that he has plenty of money and not enough years to live. i don't think rodgers cares enough about the game of football or the feeling of winning to start a second career someone else. aaron rodgers likes money more than those things. i don't blame him.

-this will help our defense with a competent and athletic scout team QB

-we have drafted so many busts or underwhelming guys in the first round that  i don't have any true expectation for these guys to contribute as individuals, especially year one.

-i love the Love pick regardless of if it pans out or not. we can still shore up at ILB and offensive weapons for a 2020 run.  

-also if we trade rodgers over the next two years and get a first round pick for him... that basically means we got a top tier QB for a decade for nothing... 1st pick in 1st pick out. 

Edited by HokieHigh

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Rodgers is years beyond the chip on shoulder motivation and doubt very much he is threatened by Love. An earlier tweet said as much

Rodgers isn’t worried about getting benched, but he is incredibly competitive in any context. I always think of his appearance on Celebrity Jeopardy. 

I think he’ll welcome having a “young apprentice” to mentor. 

I've loved the Packers my entire life and I've tried to find the good in every decision they make, especially with draft picks and contracts. I recoiled in horror after hearing this pick. I watched some of his 2019 tape before the draft and wasn't impressed. I thought, yea this kid has great physical tools, but it seems to me he doesn't read defenses very well and is a project. I watch tape for fun, and I'm no expert, but I didn't understand the top 10 buzz for this guy. Like many Packer fans, I was hoping they might trade down into the 2nd (perhaps with a team wanting to take a swing on Jordan Love with a 5th year option) if they ran out of guys with first round grades. After looking through mocks pre-draft for weeks I thought trading down would be a likely outcome for us. There were guys I really liked like Austin Jackson, Jalen Reagor, Kenneth Murray that I didn't think we'd be able to get. 

Then I slowly started to realize I didn't hate this pick because of Jordan Love, I hated it for what it meant for Aaron Rodgers. I love AR12, he's probably my favorite football player ever. I've been a staunch supporter and defender of him on FF for years. Rodgers was someone I was touting as the best quarterback I've ever seen, and I loved the 2008-2016 years dearly, I think it's the best stretch of peak quarterback play in NFL history. You can go back and read my posts 2-3 years ago where I admitted he was declining but still a top ten quarterback. But now, at these salaries, it really hurts a team if your expensive QB is not consistently playing at an elite level. The Packers are admitting that Rodgers is not the same quarterback he used to be, and even though I've known that to be the case, it still hurt when I saw this pick because AR is my dude. If what people say about Rodgers is true, then I hope it fuels the hell out of him in the same way it probably did for Tom Brady to watch the Patriots draft Jimmy G in the 2nd round in 2014. The Pats won a SB that same year and rattled off 2 more. I hate to say this about him, but I don't know if I see that same desire in Aaron Rodgers anymore. I often think of where it went wrong, and how/why. Why is his footwork so bad? He used to step into throws, deliver with pinpoint accuracy. That accuracy comes and goes now, far more inconsistent. Does he not care anymore about his mechanics because he's got such a big ego about his abilities? How come he doesn't win outside the pocket the same way anymore? Why is he so conservative and gun-shy? Did the Anthony Barr hit put fear in his abilities? Is that why he's so risk-averse now, holding onto the ball for long durations of time during a play until he's sacked or he throws the ball away? I have to believe there still resides the MVP, HoF caliber talent we were accustomed to seeing. I have to believe that, because I love the Packers. I don't want them to whiff so badly on this contract. I love Aaron Rodgers; I want him to live up to this contract. Like many Packer fans, I was excited to see him get some weapons potentially! 

I was bristling in anger for only a few minutes, and then frustrated for a while, and then annoyed for a while, and now after watching some Jordan Love's 2018 tape, going back to some 2019 tape, listening to some guys I trust, seeing a few guys in here remain optimistic, seeing @beekay414 stan this kid so hard, I've thought a lot about this pick all night and into the morning. This kid balled out in 2018 and was getting a lot of hype. Then he gets a new coach and 9 new starters on offense, that's going to make any young QB shook. He clearly knew he needed to force the issue for his team to have a chance in games. The way I see this decision is, most teams don't come away from the draft process with 32 first round grades, it's usually less than that. If this kid was the only remaining first round pick on their big board, then I'm all in on this pick. That's what I took away from Gutey's phone conference. I think they traded up because they felt some team might jump in front of them to take Love. How many times have we seen John Schneider trade down into the 2nd? It only takes one team wanting to take Love and his 5th year option. And let's face it, if this organization is all about championships like they say, then you have to believe you're going to be picking late every year. How many chances do you get at a QB prospect with high upside who had top 10 buzz at the end of the round? There weren't any other players that were crazy good, and maybe Gutey knows this is a good way to get Rodgers fired up again. I think Rodgers does care about his image and how people talk about him, and he's talked about being a better person and not just a better QB. He's going to be professional and I expect him to be awesome for Jordan Love's development. Has Rodgers had a bad relationship with any backup QBs? Granted, this is the first time Rodgers has seen significant resources spent to reinforce the QB room. He's going to have to suck it up and be a pro.

The timing of this is a bit odd. We just gave Rodgers an extension. The first out in his contract is 2022, but you're hoping Rodgers can play well enough to see out his contract, and if he can somehow prove to be good value for his salary, he could get more contracts into his 40s and perhaps you trade Jordan Love a la Jimmy Garoppolo. QBs are precious commodities and if Jordan Love develops well he could fetch some good compensation. If Rodgers continues to decline, there are outs in 2022, 2023, and his contract expires in 2024. 2024 is Love's 4th year of his rookie contract and he has a fifth year option in 2025. I believe in this organization's ability to see elite QB talent and develop QBs overall, it's something they've prided themselves on since Ron Wolf. Rodgers will mentor Love and be a good teacher because I believe he has always sought to treat backups the opposite of how he was treated under Favre. This could be a very shrewd investment down the road and it sends a message to the rest of the team that even the richest player on the team, a future first ballot Hall of Famer has competition. I understand why it's a polarizing pick. It's a scary pick, and quite a risk at an interesting time. Make no mistake, Brian Gutekunst and Matt LaFleur are putting their careers on the line with this decision. For the fans who are upset, I urge you to understand that this team has always prioritized the long term...that Rodgers has gone from elite to good and no longer consistently great...that this kid has serious potential and has the kind of upside that would make him a worthy successor...that no other players at positions we needed had first round grades...that we may never get this chance for a long time...that this class is deep with pass catchers. 

I believe in you, Brian Gutekunst and Matt LaFleur! This was a courageous move, and I am cautiously optimistic because I love my Packers. GO PACK GO 

• Like 3

Overall, this is the group of draftpicks since I started watching the Packers. Bad picks, injuries, early departures. The group is mostly a waste.

Approximate rank

Bryan Bulaga - 23 (fell right to us, it was beautiful)

BJ Raji (9) - Retired early

CMIII  (26) - Good value pick after trading up to get him with the pats

Jaire Alexander (18)

Nick Barnett (29)

Nick Perry (28)

AJ Hawk (5)

Javon Walker (20)

HaHa Clinton Dix (21)

Jamal Reynolds (10)

Justin Harrelll!!!111!!11! (16)

Derek Sherrod (32)

Damarious Randall (30)

Ahmad Carrol (25)

Too soon

Gary, Savage,Love.

I wanted to see the history of taking the 4th QB in the first round panned out. Here is a list of guys.

2018 Josh Rosen
2012 Brandon Weeden
2011 Christian Ponder
2004 JP Losman
2003 Rex Grossman
1999 Daunte Culpepper
1987 Jim Harbaugh
1983 Tony Eason

Doesn't look like it will lead to a HOF QB. But he will probably look like a HOFer against the Lions for a couple games and get a huge 2nd contract.