1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

Just now, vegas492 said:

I agree on #1.  Only difference is that Rodgers has clearly regressed.  Pretty much every season for the last three.  This isn't about playing into his 40's, it's about playing well into his 40's and his recent trend does not support the notion that he will.

Agree on #2, but I don't think like he's that far off.  Alex Smith was his competition for that pick.  Burrow would have been taken ahead of Smith.  Maybe even Tua.  So, it is what it is.  Love does have talent.

#3.  Meh.  Maybe Queen would have helped.  I can give you that one, but now you are trading up for an off ball linebacker.  I don't know, it's a tough sell to me.  And I don't get the scared route concept.

The Titans, Steelers, and Bills are pretty happy they traded up for their off ball LBs.

The coaching staff knows Rodgers can cover up a lot of flaws on offense and so them taking a QB is more about their jobs than winning.

3 hours ago, hitnhope said:

Don't agree at all.   This pick says that the Green Bay Packers don't care about winning Super Bowls.   It says we really don't ever want to be terrible.

BTW Rodgers is 36, and will be for most of next season.   He has repetitively said that he plans to play into his 40's. 

My problem isn't with Rodgers or Love.  If you really don't think Rodgers is good enough anymore,  then trade him.   Don't extend his contract before it is up, only to make it difficult to move.

It shows that they aren't willing to take the bold moves required to win big.    Recent trends show that a formula for winning is getting a good QB on a rookie contract that gives you more money to surround them with talent.   With this move we threw away that opportunity, while also throwing away the opportunity to build on last years team in the best way possible with a couple good young players to take another shot at it.

Let's say we stay at #30.  What player should Gute have taken instead at that spot?

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What if Love wasn't their QB4?  In fact, I'd bet he's probably closer to QB2 than he was QB4.  TBH, I think he was QB3 but I don't really have anything to base that off of.

Speculation, but I still think the points hold.

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Is it weird that I kind of hate myself for not going nuclear and hating this pick?

And is it worse that I'm really starting to like this pick more and more?

I've honestly never felt this way about a first round pick.  I know I should hate the pick.  But I can't.  And now I'm growing to really, really like this pick.  Man, it's just a weird time to be a Packer fan.

Thinking a little more Angel's Envy tonight will clear out the head....

That is a good remedy for a lot of things.  

The logical part of me really understands that it could set the team up for an additional 8-10 years of competitive play.  The emotional part of me is disappointed because it wants to win it all, and do it right now.  This pick does nothing to help the desire to win right now.  There is also no guarantee that Love is a hit, and then we will have opportunity cost to think about.  

So, I am conflicted.  I understand it.  It could be REALLY good.  But I don't like it because I have to go to school after Christmas break and see all the cool new toys my friends got, while I got a savings bond that doesn't mature until I am 18.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What if Love wasn't their QB4?  In fact, I'd bet he's probably closer to QB2 than he was QB4.  TBH, I think he was QB3 but I don't really have anything to base that off of.

It's not inconceivable that he was their QB1.  Burrow's age (23) is a concern if you're not going to play him right away,  Tua has the whole injury issue, so it just comes down to how they felt about Herbert.

12 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

A first round pick from Utah State is the most "off the beaten path" pick the Packers have made in the first since drafting Ezra Johnson out of Morris Brown University with the 28th pick in the 1977 draft.

How about Nick Collins from Bethune-Cookman in the second round 2005 (I think it was 05)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

Rodgers is years beyond the chip on shoulder motivation and doubt very much he is threatened by Love. An earlier tweet said as much

Well, it's a different thing to say it before it happens and to feel it once it's already happening.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Yeah, but this is a totally different situation.

It's not "totally different" at all. There is nuance difference, of course. But it's largely an extremely similar situation.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

1.  QBs couldn't play as long as they can now and Favre had threatened to retire multiple time.  Rodgers has made it clear he wants to play into his 40s and there's no reason to think he can't.

This is silly. QB longevity hasn't shifted in 15 years. We have an unprecedented historical glut (QTY 2) of aging elite QBs (Brees, Brady) that skew your perspective. Hell, Favre's play in 2009 is a counter-example to your own point...

2.  The argument of this being like 2005 would hold water if one of Tua or Burrow had fallen.  Not the 4th best QB prospect.  If this deal had been for Tua, I'd be all for it.  Love isn't close to the level of prospect as Rodgers was.

Tua is trash. Love has a higher ceiling than either. Why would you have been happier with a lower ceiling more ready back-up QB? That makes as much sense as a football bat.

3.  This team went to the NFCCG last year and got smacked around.  They could have added a player that would help them overcome SF.  Instead they went the scared route.  They know Rodgers will be good enough to get this team to the playoffs and evidently that's good enough for them.

Lol, the "scared" route? What utter nonsense. There's nothing "scared" about this pick. It's the polar opposite. It's the least safe pick they could have possibly made...

What an absolutely terrible pick.

(ugh, sorry vegas, I have no idea why it's quoting you...)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

We did reach for a player that might never make an impact.

Yeah, but this is a totally different situation.

1.  QBs couldn't play as long as they can now and Favre had threatened to retire multiple time.  Rodgers has made it clear he wants to play into his 40s and there's no reason to think he can't.

2.  The argument of this being like 2005 would hold water if one of Tua or Burrow had fallen.  Not the 4th best QB prospect.  If this deal had been for Tua, I'd be all for it.  Love isn't close to the level of prospect as Rodgers was.

3.  This team went to the NFCCG last year and got smacked around.  They could have added a player that would help them overcome SF.  Instead they went the scared route.  They know Rodgers will be good enough to get this team to the playoffs and evidently that's good enough for them.

What an absolutely terrible pick.

And then the Ravens laugh and take who we should have with that trade up.

So having the stones to trade up, make a controversial pick that if it hits will be known as the smartest move the franchise made in 15 years is the scared pick?

BUT standing pat, reaching on a non-premium position pick to fill a hole because you're over-reacting to a loss from last season knowing that it's not a smart football move, but will appease the majority of your fanbase who don't know what a smart football move is, that's not a scared move?

I was this mad when we took Rodgers, but I was 14, I've come to understand how you run a sports franchise now. Hopefully I'm dealing with a bunch of teens that don't know any better but sadly I don't think I am.

I'll re-iterate in the most simple way I can. QB is the most important position in sports. Not football, sports. If you have a highly rated one on the board when you're picking, you should consider it every single time. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So having the stones to trade up, make a controversial pick that if it hits will be known as the smartest move the franchise made in 15 years is the scared pick?

BUT standing pat, reaching on a non-premium position pick to fill a hole because you're over-reacting to a loss from last season knowing that it's not a smart football move, but will appease the majority of your fanbase who don't know what a smart football move is, that's not a scared move?

This. Was the polar opposite of a "scared" pick...

• Like 2