1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

4 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I've made it pretty clear that I hate his ball placement and being late on reads. I don't care how talented your arm is if you're inaccurate and can't manipulate a defense.

Watch the first drive of this game. ****, watch the entire game.

• Like 2

Just now, Packerraymond said:

He has a ton of great ball placement throws too. Enough so that accuracy while not on his "pros" list, shouldnt be on any cons list either.

Reads are an experience thing, no worries about that as long as you have the right staff in place. Most college QBs come out with that issue. 

That's not how it works. Making great throws every once in a while is not a sign of great QB play. Consistency is key. There is no way anyone can watch him and seriously tell themselves that he's consistently on the mark. I'm not denying he can make some absolutely beautiful throws that 95% of other players can't make. He has it all physically. He still whiffs way too much. I've seen people say to watch his CSU film from last year and MSU film from two years ago. It takes all of 5 plays (not passes, plays) to find a horrible miss. The CSU game he's late on vritually every throw to the outside which leads to at least one ball in the dirt, another that flies way out of bounds, a terrible pick 6 and another terrible pick. MSU game doesn't take long to see some awful throws down the field. Clearly we disagree on how difficult it is to improve your ability to make quick reads. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Watch the first drive of this game. ****, watch the entire game.

I have. I'm not changing my mind on him just because he's a Packer like you.

Edited by Bullet Club

45 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There is opportunity cost to every move you make. If Drew Lock is a HOF QB, we gave up the chance to take him last year for relatively cheap, to draft a S. That's a poor move in hindsight. Every draft comes with costs and no guarantees. We could've stayed at 30, taken Denzel Mims and even with all that athletic ability, he could've remained a raw receiver that got stuck in Rodgers' doghouse and never did a damn thing. "To make us suck less down the road" is just a horrible way of framing your sentence, because if you accurately framed it as "to potentially open up another 15 year Super Bowl window" suddenly your argument doesn't sound very good. A franchise QB does not make you "suck less" it's the key to a brand new SB window. The Chiefs are going to be damn good for the next decade minimum, so are the Texans if they fire that idiot. It's the most important position in sports, we didn't just draft an heir for Corey Linsley, that's "to make us suck less."

The loss of 2 years minimum to the rookie deal is not ideal. I don't like losing it either. We lost it with Rodgers though and it didn't negate the fact that we've hit the pinnacle once and had many many chances to get there. A franchise QB is something you'll take on a rookie deal, trade, FA deal, any deal. 

I bolded the relevant part.   It would not have been a poor move.   Passing on Drew Lock was absolutely the correct move.  He wasn't going to beat out Rodgers, and neither will Love.   We tied ourselves to Rodgers by giving him the big extension, and now hedge against it.   It puts us at a disadvantage to compete now, or make best use of the rookie contract advantage.

If you really believe this move was necessary,  than Gute should be on hot coals for giving Rodgers the extension.  In August of 2018 we gave Rodgers  a 134 million dollar extension when he still had 2 years under contract.   Instead of giving him the extension we could have held him to the last contract, and used the franchise tags to keep him for the next 2 years.   If we had done that, then this was a great move.  We could have let Love sit and learn.  Moved on without any dead cap hit.  Had the extra salary we are paying Rodgers to use on free agents to give us more talent to work with.

Gute must have misread the talent level of his teams QB badly to make the move he did.   If he can't evaluate the guy he saw every day and had in house,  then he can't be trusted to evaluate the successor.   We can add his love for Kizer as further evidence that he should not be trusted to evaluate the QB position.

If the argument is that a mistake was made and we need to move on from it, than he should move on and trade Rodgers.  Get assets for him while he is 36 years old move

Edited by hitnhope
  • Like 1

Any player we draft this year outside of maybe a RB is highly unlikely to have much of an impact in their first year, and a RB isn't getting us to the Super Bowl, so we're really drafting for the future no matter what.  Why not a QB if MLF and the FO think he's a future franchise guy?

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

And your take after watching that game is terrible ball placement and an inability to read and handle a defense?

It's good film overall. Yet the issues are still readily apparent. Do you not see evidence of ball placement inconsistency or being late on numerous reads? Because if that's the case then we don't agree.

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 1

I'd probably be more upset about the Love pick if

1. I didn't think Rodgers was already in obvious decline
  2. There was still someone on the board I had targeted for GB in RD1
  3. I didn't think Rodgers was already in obvious decline

I expect MLF and Gute are in agreement on points #1 and #3

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

It's good film overall. Yet the issues are still readily apparent. Do you not see evidence of ball placement issues or being late on numerous reads? Because if that's the case you then we don't agree.

Did you watch Aaron Rogers last year?  Yep, he makes some amazing passes that almost no one else can. Now tell me he never saw him miss on a wide open player! Bet he made some bad reads too. 

Fact is, this kid has gifts very few people have. 

Edited by MantyWrestler

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

I'd probably be more upset about the Love pick if

1. I didn't think Rodgers was already in obvious decline
  2. There was still someone on the board I had targeted for GB in RD1
  3. I didn't think Rodgers was already in obvious decline

I expect MLF and Gute are in agreement on points #1 and #3

Why did they give him 134 million dollars less than 2 years ago then?

Who else knew beyond a shadow of doubt as soon as we showed up as on the clock that we traded up for Love?  It was literally half a second of excitement followed by a, “Oh, ****, it’s Love.”  

My heart dropped at first.  It absolutely was a bummer.  As is obvious in this thread, I like it and think it was a great move, but it was a definite bummer.

• Like 1