1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

not following the sentiments on many of the posts that we're either going for it, or in rebuild mode.  That isn't and shouldn't be how GMs manage an organization.  Our recent splashes in free agency show that we're paying attention to short term success, but that doesn't mean we should just plan for the team to fall off a cliff at the most important position in professional sports.  we had an opportunity and we took it, which doesn't mean we aren't trying to win a title before love ever starts a game.  if you have a problem with the player or the timing of the pick, thats your prerogative, but none of us are professionals at this. 

1 minute ago, Swampbilly said:

When it's all said and done, I think Aaron Rodgers personality has just rubbed team management and executives the wrong way in the last few years.  His performance has been excellent, his salary hasn't been horrible given his performance....what else could it be?

Green font for sarcasm.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Be better than this.  It really is a poor argument.     It points that you aren't looking at talent or roster building, really  just being a cheerleader.

You should take a break if you feel this is a good contribution to the thread.

2 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

When it's all said and done, I think Aaron Rodgers personality has just rubbed team management and executives the wrong way in the last few years.  His performance has been excellent, his salary hasn't been horrible given his performance....what else could it be?

Again his performance hasn’t been excellent. If you’ve got something that says otherwise I’d love to see it.

4 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

Then you really haven't watched very much of him have you?  You're an admitted 'Phins phan?  What would you know about QB play except for what it 'doesn't' look like?  C'mon man, you're trolling and you know it.

Swim on.........

All this 'ALL IN' talk or rebuilding is nothing more than fantasy football talk.  I suppose it could be bad franchise thought pattern also.  You can and should be looking to win now and keep an eye on the future.  To think these guys are in a pattern of 'good enough' is childish.  LaFluer wants to have a team after Rodgers is gone.  You could tell how damn happy he was when we got 'our' guy.  I'm not even in the LOVE fest, but I can understand what they are trying to do and not be so butt hurt that I make ridiculous statements reserved for fantasy drafts.

@hitnhope, just answer the question- who was the difference maker you wanted @30?  It's a legitimate question.

8 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Green font for sarcasm.

I really don't see what anyone has been looking at to declare Rodgers play for past 3 years as "excellent".  He hasn't been bad or anything, and while he's had his flashes of his old greatness he's clearly in decline.  The 2019 was carried by the defense and Aaron Jones, Rodgers was not the driving factor.

12 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Again his performance hasn’t been excellent. If you’ve got something that says otherwise I’d love to see it.

His accuracy was down a bit at 62%, but he still threw for over 4k yards at a 26-4 TD to INT ratio on the 2019 season.  He was over 71% accuracy post season......hey, I'm a Dolphins fan so those are Leet numbers.

Russell Wilson makes $35 mil per season and went for 66% accuracy, 4110 yards, 31-5 TD to INT ratio

The Big Rape threw for a crappy 56% last year and of course was injured, but in 2018 went 67% for 5129 and 34-16 ratio with one of the most talented teams in the league while making $34 mil a year.

I wouldn't say Rodgers is drastically overpaid considering the weather conditions he throws in, the fact that it was his first year in a new offense, and the talent around him.  He put the team on his back IMO and carried them to the NFC Championship game.

Edited by Swampbilly
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Maybe this is something we can all agree on and hope it comes true! 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001111052/article/packers-lt-on-love-pick-rodgers-about-to-be-on-fire

Good, complacency was a buzzword when we fired our coach, out with the GM and HC and complacency was gone, but for our QB there really hasn't been any challenge or pressure put in front of him for quite some time. 

Would one of the moderators please eradicate Golfman's Jordan Love thread from April 1 (the one further down the opening page).

Don't want anyone to inadvertently click on that thread and see all those (pre-draft) negative comments about the possibility of the Packers selecting Jordan in round 1.

I've got a theory. Every team that has made it to a Super Bowl over the past 7 seasons has had their starting QB on either his rookie contract, or a cheap deal(ie: Nick Foles), with the exception of Tom Brady, Jimmy G(last year), Matt Ryan(2016), and Peyton Manning(2015). Do also bear in mind that Tom Brady had been working on a team-friendly contract the entire time.

Look at our current contracts for major players and the ones we will need to resign at some point:

Aaron Jones: practically the focal point of our offense and a 3-4 year extension will make a lot of sense
Kenny Clark: the only DL we have worth a damn and he's pretty good. Probably will either get an extension or a new and expensive deal.
The Smiths: Both signed 4 year deals that could easily get relatively inexpensive contract extensions for 2023
Adrian Amos: same length of his deal as the Smiths
Davante Adams: How expensive will his extension be?

Consider this: The OL is going to be significantly reshaped over the next two years once Billy Turner's contract expires and once we move on from Rick Wagner. There goes the whole right side of the OL. Elgton Jenkins is on a rookie deal and we've discussed the possibility of replacing Linsley. That leaves Bakh as the last starter. How does that shake out long-term? All our receivers and TE's are under the age of 26 with the exception of Davante and Marcedes Lewis. Then you look at the rest of the defense. Kirksey's a stop-gap, we're pretty much set at DB so long as Kevin King remains healthy and gets a reasonable extension as does Jaire when the time comes. 

Bottom line: this is part of a youth movement. We moved to not only draft who we think is the QBOTF, but to be able to dump Rodgers' salary when we think it'll be necessary. We've sent the message that we're moving on from Aaron soon and, again, it's not IF he will be traded but WHEN. Freeing up that contract allows us to fill in the gaps short-term with Love as the starter, the majority of our skill positions on cheap rookie deals, a younger secondary, and eventually a younger OL. When we go 11-5 this year and get a pick in the mid to late 20's next year; expect Gute to do the opposite of what he's done the last 3 years and trade down.

His accuracy was down a bit at 62%, but he still threw for over 4k yards at a 26-4 TD to INT ratio on the 2019 season.  He was over 71% accuracy post season......hey, I'm a Dolphins fan so those are Leet numbers.

Russell Wilson makes $35 mil per season and went for 66% accuracy, 4110 yards, 31-5 TD to INT ratio

The Big Rape threw for a crappy 56% last year and of course was injured, but in 2018 went 67% for 5129 and 34-16 ratio with one of the most talented teams in the league while making $34 mil a year.

I wouldn't say Rodgers is drastically overpaid considering the weather conditions he throws in, the fact that it was his first year in a new offense, and the talent around him.  He put the team on his back IMO and carried them to the NFC Championship game.

Is this where we pretend bulk numbers are in any way indicative of actual play?  He's got great int ratio because he holds onto the ball and refuses to take risks.  His deepball has gotten abysmal, he's refusing open check downs, hes starting to flat out miss throws because he can't get away with his awful mechanics as much as his athleticism wanes, and he's seemingly always dealing with injury.

No offense but if you actually think he put the team on his back and carried them to the CG then your opinion on the matter is all but worthless.  The offense ran through Aaron Jones, and the defense bailed us out constantly.

1 minute ago, Swampbilly said:

Again, I'm a Fins Fan, and minority Pack owner, but I am shocked to hear Pack Fans downing Rodgers performance.....Go ahead and start Jordan Love, you'll be realizing how good Rodgers has been for you real quick LOL!!!!

Are you sure as a MIA fan you're qualified to rate good QB play?
(Thats kind of a joke....with a bit of a bite...but not much of one) :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing and not answering the question.

There is a counter argument to the pick that is based on “immediate help” for the team.  Passing up elite talent (in Gutekunst’s judgement Love clearly has that ceiling) in order to reach and fill a need is just plain stupid.  

You can disagree on the grade they gave Love, but they view him as a franchise QB. And you don’t pass those up for the 7th best WR in the draft.  Sorry.

You don't pick your replacement QB 4 years before your HOF QB's contract runs out.    Especially after you gave him an extension and pay increase making the process of moving on cap prohibitive. 

You also don't waste most of a new QB's rookie contract sitting on the bench.   The advantage of having a good young QB is the extra cap money you have to put extra talent around him.

We have a management team that has now, through its actions, said that staying mediocre is more important than winning Super Bowls.  It is more important to them to never be really bad than it is to be really good.

I'm not ripping on Jordan Love.   The problem is with Gute.   It wasn't the year to be putting any premium assets into a QB.   Any of the draft eligible QB's.

• Like 1