Day 2 Draft Discussion

Ragnarok

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

No.  He's a midget playing WR.

The midget runs like the wind and can cut on a dime. Tyreek Hill is shorter than Hamler. Hilton, Tyler Lockett, Brandin Cooks, and DeSean are only an inch taller. Hollywood Brown isn't even an inch taller.

24 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Has K.J. Hamler gotten underrated? It seems like he's been lost in the shuffle because he didn't run at the Combine. Part of me is afraid of the idea of him because of Tavon. But his WR film is also a lot better than Tavon's. And while he's a guy who will never be great at finishing catches through contact, I think his hands are better than some say. He's not out there dropping easy catches left and right. But the two things that really intrigue me with Hamler are obviously his explosive speed/acceleration and his ability to break off routes.

Yes, physical CBs will throw him off his game if they can get their hands on him. Yes, there are legitimate concerns about durability. But he's still only 20 years old, has the ability to become a high-level route runner (and is already a good one for his age and experience), and has speed you simply can't teach. The talent of this WR class is going to cause some guys to fall. I think Hamler might prove to be a really good value on Day 2, especially if he makes it to the top of the 3rd.

I know you said he's not out there dropping easy passes, but isn't his catch rate somewhat an issue too? I guess you allude to it on the 50/50 stuff.

Just now, MikeT14 said:

I know you said he's not out there dropping easy passes, but isn't his catch rate somewhat an issue too? I guess you allude to it on the 50/50 stuff.

What was his catch rate in 2019? His 2018 catch rate wouldn't concern me because McSorley was an awful passer. 

23 minutes ago, Drained said:

Bad throw... from when he was at Alabama. It's pretty much accepted that last year he made leaps and bounds throwing-wise.

No, he just played in a system that makes quarterbacks look good.

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

No.  I don't like short, fast WRs.  For every Tyreek Hill, there's a million guys who can't catch a cold.

And a DeSean Jackson, and a Tyler Lockett, and a Stefon Diggs, and a Jamison Crowder, and...

Duvernay and Hamler both have bigger hands than Tee Higgins, Justin Jefferson, Ceedee Lamb, and Michael Pittman. There's more evidence that matters for catching the ball than height or weight.

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

That's def a fair point lol 

Case in point for me:

giphy.gif

That's against Shaun Wade. And Wade actually does a nice job of pressing him. But Hamler shakes the heck out of him with the route. Where does the ball end up? Sailing way over his head out of bounds.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blue said:

No, he just played in a system that makes quarterbacks look good.

And a DeSean Jackson, and a Tyler Lockett, and a Stefon Diggs, and a Jamison Crowder, and...

Duvernay and Hamler both have bigger hands than Tee Higgins, Justin Jefferson, Ceedee Lamb, and Michael Pittman. There's more evidence that matters for catching the ball than height or weight.

I was with you until the bold. I'm advocating for Hamler now, but neither he nor Duvernay have the football-catching ability that the other guys you named do.

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I was with you until the bold. I'm advocating for Hamler now, but neither he nor Duvernay have the football-catching ability that the other guys you named do.

I'm not gonna argue either one is some sort of stick-em machine, but Duvernay had 106 catches last year on a team quarterbacked by a guy described as the Texas Tim Tebow. I'm not real worried about his hands.

10 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm not gonna argue either one is some sort of stick-em machine, but Duvernay had 106 catches last year on a team quarterbacked by a guy described as the Texas Tim Tebow. I'm not real worried about his hands.

Are people really questioning Duvernay's hands? The guy had 5 drops in his entire 4 year college career, with just 3 drops in 2019 on over 100 catches with as you mentioned Texas Tebow throwing him the ball. Anyone that has actually studied Duvernay would know he is known for having great hands.

UnkemptDaringHammerheadshark-size_restri

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 2