Draft Day Thread: Day 2

MrOaktown_56

9 minutes ago, massraider said:

Taking Ruggs definitely allowed freedom at WR later. 

It's funny, they got a "steal" in Edwards, and a "reach" in Arnette. No one would have blinked at Jaylon Johnson, but he would have been a reach too. Like, for sure, no doubt, 30 picks too early reach. Everyone would have been fine with it.  Why? Because we have been reading about Jaylon, if we had been reading about Arnette, we would have been fine with it. 

Johnson is 21 and Arnette is 24  so I guess you can say Johnson more raw. I like Johnson ceiling more, but Arnette more ready to start Day 1. I think Arnette was a reach but not some crazy he can't play reach. I don't think he makes it out the first round because there was a run of CBs towards the end of round 1. I could see Johnson being a steal because of his injury. 

Overall: 

Ruggs- I really like the pick and had him in my mock. Kid is more then a burner, he is a flat out baller. Wouldn't have made it past the Broncos at 15

Arnette- bit of a reach but finally came to grips with it, still a 1st round talent at a big area of need

Bowden- went around his projection, RB2 who is an explosive athlete.. filled another need

Edwards- steal

Muse- don't like it, hope I'm wrong. Find special team players in 7th or UDFAs

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I was thinking this all day yesterday. Guys had Fulton, Johnson, Baun, Mims etc at 19 and would have been completely fine with these guys, but look how the rest of the league perceived them. We don’t know for sure how long a player is gonna last, all it takes is one team to like a guy.

The one thing I think the Arnette pick does demonstrate is that I think Mayock and Gruden probably latch onto THEIR guys too much. 

I do believe most teams had guys like Fulton and Jaylon higher than Arnette. The 40 time, 5th year senior, short arms, he has more questions. 

Raiders need to know that, whatever the trade down was, them not taking the deal shows a lack of big picture that I don't like. But it had to be a 3rd rounder or more. 4th round pick? Take the CB you want, the need is too big, we cannot be diddling around, running the risk that someone DOES like Arnette.  It would have to be a decent trade, don't trade down for nothing. We don't know what was offered, so I dunno how we can be ANGRY they didn't make the move. You don't know what the offers were!

The best GMs know they gonna miss a bunch, so they want more picks. Walsh, Johnson, Belichick. I don't like the Muse pick, but Muse+4th round pick is a deal you take all day long. It's a great trade. Mayock and Gruden need to understand some picks they love are completely wrong, so making a trade down, and getting multiple lottery tickets is worth the shot. 

I think Ruggs was their guy.

I think Terrell was their guy, and Arnette was their next guy.

I think Bowden was a target.

I think Edwards was just value. 

Muse was clearly a target. 

Mornin y’all. Lol time to go back to work for Mayock n Gruden. So far all skill positions, seems like what we set up to do, and I believe I even did a mock with just skill positions (double dip wr and cb.lol) so I’m not complaining. Potential is there, now to unlock it and implement it. I will say we should have an exciting offense. But imo I still hope we find another rb, I know Bowden is slotted there, but as a gadget guy really. Gimme perine or that kid from Cincy I posted and that would make me happier. ( I’m also perfectly fine finding a good FA, plenty out there) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

LA's success will depend on the play of Herbert/Taylor but they're stacked at the skill position spots and on defense. 

Interested to see how the defense plays this year. Hopefully Mullen can make a leap and Arnette is solid day one starter. Also hoping that Isaiah Johnson and Abram can both play well this year in what is essentially their rookie seasons. The defense isn't going to be great but it could be average it really just depends on the growth and improvement of our young players. If Crosby/Ferrell make a second year jump and Collins plays to his potential our pass rush should be solid. I also think adding Randall/Kwit/Littleton plus getting Abram back is going to help us a ton defending TE's and RB's. A lot of question marks but a ton of speed, talent, and athleticism. We'll have a young starter at pretty much every position across our defense except NCB. 

I am still very concerned about our pass rush and our D's success stems from there.  We can not continue to let QB's sit back there all day long and pick us apart, it's not fair to our DB's and puts tremendous pressure on the O.  I hope Collins proves to be a stud who can bring heat from up the middle, Maxx continues to improve and CF takes a major leap forward in terms of pass rush.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I absolutely know less than our FO yet constantly make better picks every year then they do.  I’ve been making my own selection at the same time as our pick (I have to accept the trades that we make) and year in and year out I way out perform our FO.... and I’m not special most people can 

do you think your picks did better than Mayocks last year?
stop kidding yourself, they did not. 

Calm down and trust mayock. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, massraider said:

The one thing I think the Arnette pick does demonstrate is that I think Mayock and Gruden probably latch onto THEIR guys too much. 

I do believe most teams had guys like Fulton and Jaylon higher than Arnette. The 40 time, 5th year senior, short arms, he has more questions. 

Raiders need to know that, whatever the trade down was, them not taking the deal shows a lack of big picture that I don't like. But it had to be a 3rd rounder or more. 4th round pick? Take the CB you want, the need is too big, we cannot be diddling around, running the risk that someone DOES like Arnette.  It would have to be a decent trade, don't trade down for nothing. We don't know what was offered, so I dunno how we can be ANGRY they didn't make the move. You don't know what the offers were!

The best GMs know they gonna miss a bunch, so they want more picks. Walsh, Johnson, Belichick. I don't like the Muse pick, but Muse+4th round pick is a deal you take all day long. It's a great trade. Mayock and Gruden need to understand some picks they love are completely wrong, so making a trade down, and getting multiple lottery tickets is worth the shot. 

I think Ruggs was their guy.

I think Terrell was their guy, and Arnette was their next guy.

I think Bowden was a target.

I think Edwards was just value. 

Muse was clearly a target. 

Yes , I agree 1000% bro. It’s very obvious, Mayock all but said it. Thought the same thing about Terrell/Arnette and I think Bowden and muse as well. Very possible they thought Bowden wasn’t gonna be there at 91. And muse at 121. Regardless of what boards say someone will jump guys they either like a lot or purely believe in. Logan Wilson is a perfect example , we all liked him in the 3rd 4th, some even mocked him in the 5 th. No way I’ll call him going earlier than projected a reach cuz the kids gonna be a stud. Plenty of pro scouts obviously agreed. But yes, they do “lock on” a little and it’s apparent. Lol as long as there’s a plan, I’ll damn sure stay tuned in .lol

18 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I was thinking this all day yesterday. Guys had Fulton, Johnson, Baun, Mims etc at 19 and would have been completely fine with these guys, but look how the rest of the league perceived them. We don’t know for sure how long a player is gonna last, all it takes is one team to like a guy.

It's like a few years ago with Hurst.  Mocks had him going in the 1st as the 1st 3T off the board.  If we would have taken him in round 1 a lot of fans wouldn't have batted an eyelash and thought he was great value there.  He slipped to the 5th and has played a lot closer to a 5th round talent than a 1st. 

Couch potato and wannabe mock drafters don't know anything and Mayock is doing a good job with the picks.  The only thing is I wish we had Terrell over Arnette but Arnette is no slouch and appears to be a very good football player.

22 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Johnson is 21 and Arnette is 24  so I guess you can say Johnson more raw. I like Johnson ceiling more, but Arnette more ready to start Day 1. I think Arnette was a reach but not some crazy he can't play reach. I don't think he makes it out the first round because there was a run of CBs towards the end of round 1. I could see Johnson being a steal because of his injury. 

Overall: 

Ruggs- I really like the pick and had him in my mock. Kid is more then a burner, he is a flat out baller. Wouldn't have made it past the Broncos at 15

Arnette- bit of a reach but finally came to grips with it, still a 1st round talent at a big area of need

Bowden- went around his projection, RB2 who is an explosive athlete.. filled another need

Edwards- steal

Muse- don't like it, hope I'm wrong. Find special team players in 7th or UDFAs

Do you think Bowden is our RB 2 or do we get a bigger back today? He is small and if Jacobs goes down Bowden is not a 20 carry per game kind of back.

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

Do you think Bowden is our RB 2 or do we get a bigger back today? He is small and if Jacobs goes down Bowden is not a 20 carry per game kind of back.

I wouldn't be surprise if we added a bruiser with a late round pick or a priority UDFA. Actually alot of good cheap vet options too

45 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Sorry my gf broke me off an I’ll sympathy bj and I passed out...even she knew the picks sucked!  I wrote this long *** (even for me) analysis then I lost it when the page reloaded.

my problem with these picks isn’t one single one besides Tanner Muse (take Malik Harrison and don’t trade back) or if you trade back take Bryce Hall CB, such a steal.  I’d have taken Zack Moss over Lynn Bowden.  Moss is a real RB and a hard runner and good receiver.  I Think Bowden as a RB won’t work that great he’s too light.

my issue is the overall draft.  It’s trash.  Tell me if I’m wrong: if I posted this as a mock the draft before you’d have loved it?

Mayock should have traded back like he said was offered and still gotten Arnette.  I believe GB offered him 30 and at least 84. It’s horrible value (50 cent in the dollar) but you then trade 80 and 94 and get up into the second for a guy who was much a steal like Denzel Mims, since we wanted a A 2nd WR so badly.  Or trade up into the tip of The Third and get Ashtyn Davis, Zach Braun, Okwara.  Oh, I’d have taken Gallimore over Bowden too prolly.  Dallas just cleans up after us.

we really really could have gotten Ceedee Lamb, Damon Arnette, Denzel Mims, Zack Moss, Malik Harrison, and Bryce Hall.

no individual pick besides Muse is indefensible it’s that we just wasted a lot of value by reaching at 19 for Arnette and sat on our hands watching great value come off the board in 2nd-3rd and when it was our turn the talent pool dried up a lot and we left some moderately better players on the board.

this class really could end up as a complete bust.  I hope not... obviously I’m not just a hater.... I’m passionate about my team... it kills me to see other teams like Baltimore or Dallas have such great drafts with worse picks.  

Jim, I admire your passion and love your posts but how do we know great value came off the board?  Look back on the 2016  3rd round of the draft.  95 percent of those players are irrelevant.  It's a total crap shoot and I assure you that in 5 years many of the players that most are clamoring about will amount to nothing.  

6 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Nope , that’s why I’m pounding the table for perine or warren ll. Lol I think either can be solid. Hell warren had like 1300 for the bearcats last year, is built jus like moss and is supposedly a good rec. and I know perine has skills, go look up his last game . Lol over 100 plus 2 to on grnd and 1 rec. he was stuck in a committee and Florida’s line apparently is all pups last year.lol for me, I’ll take either. All the rest we liked are gone , I haven’t checked yet but if Benjamin is still on the board?.....he won’t be for long, bank it so......?