Pick #81 is in: WR, Bryan Edwards, South Carolina

RaidersAreOne

Carr on Bryan Edwards from the Athletic 

You mentioned toughness. Is that what comes to mind when you watch Edwards? 

He tries to run everybody over, right? He plays the receiver position with such a physical presence. He reminds me of Anquan Boldin, his stiff arms and him just running through people. Larry Fitzgerald, the physicality that he plays with in the run game and the blocking and all of those kind of things. And he has those traits. Obviously, he’s not those guys yet. He’s a rookie, but he definitely has those traits and some ball skills. When that ball is in the air … in college, and Coach Gruden and I talk about this all time, I had three or four guys that I could just drop back and if it was man coverage, I would just throw it up to them. And 80 percent of the time, those were completions. I can place the ball where I need to place it and this guy can go make those freakish plays. It’s fun to watch on tape.

• Like 1

Re Carr on Edwards:

the Anquan Boldin comparison is one I hadn’t thought of. That would be awesome if he was just a poor man’s version. That dude was one of my favorite players when he was around. 

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I found it interesting that Carr talked about his downfield ball placement in man coverage. He's always had the ability to throw a good contested catch/back-shoulder ball. Hopefully, we see more opportunities next season.

Definitely. No more excuses. Same system for a few years now, more weapons added on top of an already solid O, better D to help bail you out, etc. Make or break and I pray he starts slinging it again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mct288 said:

Re Carr on Edwards:

the Anquan Boldin comparison is one I hadn’t thought of. That would be awesome if he was just a poor man’s version. That dude was one of my favorite players when he was around. 

Well when people compare to Boldin it generally is big physical but slow WRs.  You hardly see a sub 4.5 guy like Edwards compared to Boldin.

On 4/28/2020 at 7:50 AM, massraider said:

If the goal is Michael Thomas, cool. Seems like a nice attainable goal. I have to wonder tho: Throwing to WRs, and trusting them to fight for the ball hasn't seem to have been Carr's game thus far.  That's why I say winning at the top of the route needs to be every WRs goal, until we see different from Carr. 

I’ve said it a few times: I could see / I’d like to seenEdwards getting some snaps in the “big slot” Role, ala Michael Thomas... Routes that attack the seem and in traffic where is big size and physicality is an advantage over Renfrow.... Or intermediate routes where his speed can challenge LBs and Ss.... he only needs to get decent separation on crossing routes so that Carr had lead him away from the defender and let him with big catch radius get the ball.

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Idk if this was posted before but I bookmarked it months ago cuz it was a good read on Edwards...

https://www.cover1.net/bryan-edwards-most-underrated-receiver-in-the-nation-nfl-draft/

Thanks for that. Really good article. It’s going to be interesting to see how he performs. Lots for Gruden to play with. 

It’s interesting, because we have similar question marks with most of our picks due to either injury or lack of pro day etc. With Arnette’s 40 and with Edwards, Robertson, Bowden not having the usual results from combines/pro days to give us an indication of their speed or explosiveness, we have no idea to what extent their physical talents or limitations will help or hinder them. 

I honestly have no idea how fast Edwards or Bowden are for example. They are both difficult to read. Edwards looks like he lacks initial explosion from standing, but then at times seems to outpace DBs. Bowden looks plenty fast, but has such a smooth running style, again - difficult to project.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, reddevil said:

I honestly have no idea how fast Edwards or Bowden are for example. They are both difficult to read. Edwards looks like he lacks initial explosion from standing, but then at times seems to outpace DBs. Bowden looks plenty fast, but has such a smooth running style, again - difficult to project.

Yeah I wish we had times for them both.

I’m pretty good at guessing Speed times (not the best, have been wrong, and not bragging).  I’d guess Edwards is a 4.48-4.54 40yd dash time.  I’d also guess he has a 1.57-1.61 10yd split.  He’s got burst for average for his size but nothing special for the position.  But he makes up for it with strength and size.... he likely to peak at a high MPH at the end of the 40 with long, powerful strides.  

Bowden is a tough one to guess.  The way he runs it’s like he never hits his top speed.  Not to compare him to Lamar Jackson at all, but Lamar does that too (unless he’s in open field running alone for a TD).  I’d guess he’s a 4.45-4.53, which I know is a wide range.  If I was gambling on one number it’s be 4.48.  I really had to go back to him playing WR to get a good view of his speed.  He’s the rare type of guy that could bust out a 4.40-4.42 at his pro day and shock people though.  

Edited by jimkelly02

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah I wish we had times for them both.

I’m pretty good at guessing Speed times (not the best, have been wrong, and not bragging).  I’d guess Edwards is a 4.48-4.54 40yd dash time.  I’d also guess he has a 1.57-1.61 10yd split.  He’s got burst for average for his size but nothing special for the position.  But he makes up for it with strength and size.... he likely to peak at a high MPH at the end of the 40 with long, powerful strides.  

Bowden is a tough one to guess.  The way he runs it’s like he never hits his top speed.  Not to compare him to Lamar Jackson at all, but Lamar does that too (unless he’s in open field running alone for a TD).  I’d guess he’s a 4.45-4.53, which I know is a wide range.  If I was gambling on one number it’s be 4.48.  I really had to go back to him playing WR to get a good view of his speed.  He’s the rare type of guy that could bust out a 4.40-4.42 at his pro day and shock people though.  

Stoops has said he timed Bowden at 4.35-4.38. He looks like he plays sub 4.4 so that wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by OG_C2X

1 hour ago, OG_C2X said:

Stoops has said he timed Bowden at 4.35-4.38. He looks like he plays sub 4.4 so that wouldn't surprise me.

I’ve heard that but Idk if I believe it.  Admittedly I didn’t watch a ton of Bowden but from what I did I didn’t see elite speed/burst.  Not to say he isn’t quick/fast but I (edit: don’t know if I)see sub 4.4 level.  And coaches always exaggerate a bit for their players.

Edited by jimkelly02

4 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Bowden and Muse are the wild cards of this draft class, but both good athletes with good speed. I wonder how Bowden can take the NFL beating with that frame, he has the juice and moves.... 

I don’t Think he’s got the frame to rush 120-160 times like top end RB2s.

• Like 1

i cant recall a single play i've seen from Bowden where I thought he looked like a 4.3 guy. but if he's going to be running back, even running in the high 4.4 or low-mid 4.5 range is good enough to get to edge. and if he motions out, i imagine he would move into the slot the way richard sometimes does now (or CMC in Carolina), where high end footspeed isn't needed to separate from linebackers or find gaps in zones. i have more general concerns about Bowden as a running back. he isn't that heavy and he's 6'2, which doesnt convince me he can be successful between the tackles. but speed isn't going to be his issue. perhaps he will replace Richard a year down the line as he learns pass protection and doesnt project as a long term RB2, but rather projects as the long term 3rd down back

it wouldn't surprise me if edwards ran somewhere between 4.45 and 4.50. i'm pretty sure i read he was running 4.52 in high school. but he's definitely in the "more fast than quick" category. he can show a little twitch during his getoff, but he doesnt change directions that well at higher speeds. i think he's strictly an X and will be Tyrell Williams' replacement. I don't think he's as good a route runner as Allen Robinson, but thats a realistic comp

Edited by Turnobili