1. 1. Your grade for Broncos 2020 draft

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Disturbing

2 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

So did he get worse all of a sudden? Or did the Missouri quarterback suck?  I have a problem with these guys who are in dependent positions (they can’t do anything unless they have a QB get them the all) being punished for suddenly having a down year. The talent didn’t suddenly disappear.  

The 17 TDS is a two year total. He had 6 in 2018 also. 2017 he had 11. Lock fed him in the end zone. 

25 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

So did he get worse all of a sudden? Or did the Missouri quarterback suck?  I have a problem with these guys who are in dependent positions (they can’t do anything unless they have a QB get them the all) being punished for suddenly having a down year. The talent didn’t suddenly disappear.  

Former Clemson QB Kelly Bryant took over, and he’s not very good, but the offence in general was simply awful. 

53 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Day three, I think you’ve gotta more or less throw need out the window and just dig for talent.

Okwuegbunam at 4.118, consensus had him ranked 103.

Strnad at 5.178, consensus 166.

Muti at 6.181, consensus 86.

That’s pretty good digging. Tuszka in the 7th is also a guy you can see becoming a real NFL’er. I’m extremely pleased. 

Yeah, but those who were doing the rankings, how did they do with the rest of the draft ? Those "experts" only showed they really didn't equate to what NFL exec had the players ranked. Not trying to say I disagree but I do contest the logic you used. And honestly, other than Cush, I liked Day 3 better than Day 2. 

I’ll post my grades later, but I do find some of this a bit funny.

Elway has always been a BPA at a position of need type of guy.  I honestly think this year may have been the biggest year that he went more pure BPA than any other and now he gets knocked for it from people who say to just go BPA....

Now everyone has their own rankings and evaluations.  I watched 150 players and Elway only selected 1 that I had rated lower then where he was selected and that was Ojemudia.

I had Jeudy at 7 and we got him at 15

I had Hamler at 44 and we got him at 46

I had Ojemudia at 115 and we got him at 77.

I had Cushenberry at 53 and we got him at 83.

I didn’t watch Agim.

I had Albert O. at 89 and we got him at 118.

I didn’t watch Strnad.

I had Muti at 112 and we got him at 181. 

I didn’t watch Cleveland.

I didn’t watch Tuszka.

Jerry Jeudy - A+

K.J. Hamler - B

Michael Ojemudia - B-

Lloyd Cushenberry - A+

McTelvim Agim - C+

Albert O - B-

Justin Strnad - B+

Netane Muti - A+

Tyrie Cleveland - B

Derrek Tuszka - A+

Overall - Solid A for me

Jeudy was perfect and Cushenberry was masterfull. I do like the pick of Hamler we need WRs like him, I'm not a hater of Hamilton and Patrick, but sorry they aren't much more than depth guys for me.

We needed WRs badly and that why I also don't hate a 3rd WR in the 7th (7th round guys aren't supposed to be impactful players is nice when you hit those, but overall you use those picks on guys you want to bring to camp but don't think you would get in the UDFAs market....Cleveland would never sign with Denver if he went undrafted)

Man after seeing the Patriots get Asiasi and Keene in the 3rd round, there is no way I will be mad to get Albert O in the 3rd. Obviously not a need, but we are building around Lock and Albert gets more from Lock than Heuerman, Butt and Fumagalli will (only thing I don't like is that we didn't traded at least one of them to get an extra pick on day 3)

Strnad is a nice player, not sure he is a guy that will take Todd Davis job like Patrick Queen would if Seattle had accepted the deal that would made us jump from 46 back to the 1st, but nice value on a need.

Muti was a development 3rd round pick for me, I can see why he falled to the 6th, but if he can stay healthy he will probably find a starter role in a few years (Maybe Risner can play T like he did in Kansas State?)

Tuszka was one one my favorites players in this draft and the only edge guy I wanted this year. I put him in almost every mock I've made this year (I even drafted him in the 7th in the FFMD in the GM mocks) Love this pick. I will be surprised and pissed if he don't make the roster. Probably the best partner for Attaochu backing up Von and Chubb.

Would probably wish we picked an OT, but I believe in Munchak. If he didn't bang the table for an OT in this draft and rather go with Bolles and Wilkinson....who am I to complain?

18 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I’ll post my grades later, but I do find some of this a bit funny.

Elway has always been a BPA at a position of need type of guy.  I honestly think this year may have been the biggest year that he went more pure BPA than any other and now he gets knocked for it from people who say to just go BPA....

Now everyone has their own rankings and evaluations.  I watched 150 players and Elway only selected 1 that I had rated lower then where he was selected and that was Ojemudia.

I had Jeudy at 7 and we got him at 15

I had Hamler at 44 and we got him at 46

I had Ojemudia at 115 and we got him at 77.

I had Cushenberry at 53 and we got him at 83.

I didn’t watch Agim.

I had Albert O. at 89 and we got him at 118.

I didn’t watch Strnad.

I had Muti at 112 and we got him at 181. 

I didn’t watch Cleveland.

I didn’t watch Tuszka.

I had Hamler at 60’s- but with 5 other WR in the same range.   I had Johnson in 40’s and Fulton 50’s (I cluster rather than straight tank at this level). The value in waiting Rd3 given the depth and other guys there was the argument. 

Albert O I had at 100+.   Bartch I had 85-90.   Same with the CB.  The CB/DT picks were nowhere close to the range.  It’s a matter of perspective here.  

See how that works?   BPA is also a matter with the eye of the beholder.  I’d argue Elway reached for his/Fangio’s guy 3x (burner WR, CB) rather than off the board.  Doesn’t mean we have to agree on the board, but the interpretations can be very different with guys like Albert O / Hamler on whether it was a need-driven pick (speed) over BPA.  

All of that said - its still a great draft.  Even if it’s “only” a B+ draft that’s likely the highest grade since 2011.   Nothing to sneeze at.  

Edited by Broncofan

This years draft I did not follow as closely as I would have liked. Looking into how others (PFF, SI, FF, etc) have graded Denver’s draft has me really optimistic for the future. Last year provided us much needed hope and the offseason+draft has me super excited for this season (unless covid19 lingers well into the year).

Based on my limited knowledge from quick research and the YouTube film reel, I love the Jeudy, Hamler, Agim, Muti and Tuszka picks! I’m iffy on Ojemudia, Albert O and Cleveland picks. I’m shocked we didn’t make any trades but pleased for the most part of all selections. Hoping we can hit on one UDFA like we seemingly do every year.

While the individual players and picks themselves are up for debate, and no one will really know how we did for at least another year, I like the overall approach. 

I like that we emphasized experience, productivity, character and leadership, we drafted a lot of team captains and guys who have lots of starts/games played under their belts. Other than two picks late on day three, eight of our 10 draftees are from power-five conferences and the other two come from successful MWC and FBS schools with track records of producing quality NFL talent. 

Seems like a few of the day 2/3 picks have boom/bust potential but you have to love the upside Agim, Albert O, Tuszka, Strnad and Muti. If you’re going to gamble on upside, better to do it on the back half of the draft. Hamler and Ojemudia are the two picks I do question. A top-50 pick is a premium place to take a gadjet player who will have to be schemed for and likely only sees 4-6 plays for him per game. He’s dynamic and brings game-breaking ability I like but I think at #46 we could have found a CB, ILB or even OL who contributes more play to play, series to series. I Ojemudia’s upside and potential a lot, and his intangibles are off the charts which is always good. But it seemed a lot of the experts had other CBs ranked higher. 

All in all it was a very good draft. I loved the overall approach and I like all the players and and love some. I give the draft a B+, which is a very good grade. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

While the individual players and picks themselves are up for debate, and no one will really know how we did for at least another year, I like the overall approach. 

I like that we emphasized experience, productivity, character and leadership, we drafted a lot of team captains and guys who have lots of starts/games played under their belts. Other than two picks late on day three, eight of our 10 draftees are from power-five conferences and the other two come from successful MWC and FBS schools with track records of producing quality NFL talent. 

Seems like a few of the day 2/3 picks have boom/bust potential but you have to love the upside Agim, Albert O, Tuszka, Strnad and Muti. If you’re going to gamble on upside, better to do it on the back half of the draft. Hamler and Ojemudia are the two picks I do question. A top-50 pick is a premium place to take a gadjet player who will have to be schemed for and likely only sees 4-6 plays for him per game. He’s dynamic and brings game-breaking ability I like but I think at #46 we could have found a CB, ILB or even OL who contributes more play to play, series to series. I Ojemudia’s upside and potential a lot, and his intangibles are off the charts which is always good. But it seemed a lot of the experts had other CBs ranked higher. 

All in all it was a very good draft. I loved the overall approach and I like all the players and and love some. I give the draft a B+, which is a very good grade. 

I don’t think Hamler is a gadget player. More productive at PSU than Ruggs was. He can play a lot of downs for us. Imo 

• Like 1