The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

what i dont understand is, during the Mayock discussion, everyone (pro and against Carr people) said that last year we had a roster than could maybe make the playoffs, and this year we should really compete for the playoffs.

That is exactly what we did last year. We could have made the playoffs. Our team had no depth last year, and a very talent depleted roster. Yet we still managed to compete for the playoffs.
That shows, we mustve done some things well.

When you have bad depth, it becomes tougher to overcome injuries. YES, every team has injuries. But when your roster sucks, its tough to overcome injuries. 
But that last sentenced, is just an excuse, and Carr shouldve had us at 10-6 last year, even though everyone agreed before the season our roster was bad lol

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Luckily this year it looks like our offense will always have a punchers chance.  I love it.  That's what I tell my son, we may not have a complete team, but our offense is capable of throwing some sweet, delicious, fierce, relentless, game changing hay makers.  I love it.

Let’s hope it stays that way. Like I said one of my biggest complaints about Carr every year was not the bad games themselves, it was the context of the bad games. He would shut down completely and not even play football. At least go down swinging and try to make something happen. You can blame the cast, but you can blame Carr just as much, if not more, because if he was better at throwing in tight windows, there’s no way he would just “shut down”. One of Carrs biggest flaws is his non-ability to throw in a tight window and needing a receiver very open. He can zoom one in there sometimes, but it’s definitely not something he likes to do. I mean, I can live without tight window throws, I liked Murray in the draft who does the same thing, but most QB’s in the NFL would not play the way Carr did against the Jets and Vikings, and most NFL QBs can make tight window throws every drive. As for Carr shutting down, I can cite 2-3 examples every season, and probably 4-5 from 2018. 

However, let’s hope this will be a non-issue going forward. Ruggs looks like a difference maker and hopefully he can stay healthy. He completely opens up the short and medium passing games since teams have to respect the deep ball. I do worry about the OL regressing soon with Brown’s injuries and Hudson/Incognito’s age, and Gabes inconsistency. 

Edited by BayRaider

42 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

So yes, Carr did get the SAME hype the first half of last season that he is getting now, it was A LOT of hype. 

That is so patently untrue.

@Humble_Beast just posted a couple links where Carr is on the fringe of MVP discussions (IMO way, way too early) but that hasn't been the case since 2016 quite clearly. At best guys were saying he's a good franchise QB last year, there was very little 'hype' just appreciation of good play in difficult circumstances.

Its hyperbole like this that makes guys come at you so often. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

That is so patently untrue.

@Humble_Beast just posted a couple links where Carr is on the fringe of MVP discussions (IMO way, way too early) but that hasn't been the case since 2016 quite clearly. At best guys were saying he's a good franchise QB last year, there was very little 'hype' just appreciation of good play in difficult circumstances.

Its hyperbole like this that makes guys come at you so often. 

Through 5 weeks last season: 118/161 (73%), 1,117 yards (6.9 Y/A), 6 TD, 3 INT

Through 5 weeks this season: 128/175 (73%), 1,442 yards (8.2 Y/A), 11 TD, 1 INT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

Also, the Jacksonville game where Carr slid in bounds and it should've been a wrap and they said he ran out of bounds.  

It's insane because if they don't blow that call we likely finish the season 9-7 on a 3 game win streak. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's going to throw for more yards, TD, with a higher Y/A and an identical completion % to last season when he was considered elite, lol. 

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's going to throw for more yards, TD, with a higher Y/A and an identical completion % to last season when he was considered elite, lol. 

He’s elite because he has the ability to coming from behind,  not as a pocket passer.

If he doesn’t win that goes out the window.

8 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

He’s elite because he has the ability to coming from behind,  not as a pocket passer.

If he doesn’t win that goes out the window.

Dating back to Clemson though Watson has always been a guy that throws a lot of interceptions because of his play style. Watson is elite because of his ability to make explosive plays down field and his ability to make plays out of the structure of the offense. 

They're 1-4 but they played arguably the best 3 teams in the league consecutively to start the year. They started 0-3 in 2018 and finished 11-5, there's still a lot of football to be played. 

• 1 month later...