The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I think this is why MM looked so different running the same plays with the same players.  I do not think MM is a better QB than Carr just like I think Fitz is not as good as Carr.  I do think that both of them are better suited to run Gruden's offense however.  If he can play with the aggressiveness of 2015 and 2016 he will easily be a top 10 QB and possibly top 5.  Aggressive offence combined with an opportunistic defense and we are in the playoffs.  I will take 4500 yards, 35 TDs, with 20 INTs.  Especially if it means we are sustaining drives which will have a positive effect on the defense.  Yes the offense does need to help the defense not because the offense needs catch up to the defense but because the offense is the better side of the team and more capable of doing more.  This team played well when we won TOP and TO differential.

Yeah I agree here pretty much too. 
Gruden wants to call himself an offensive Guru, so lets go, get creative and have some Redzone MM packages.
We paid him all that money to sit on the bench last year. 

Meanwhile Sean Peyton is using his 3rd string qb throughout the game. An actually offensive guru lol. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Yeah I agree here pretty much too. 
Gruden wants to call himself an offensive Guru, so lets go, get creative and have some Redzone MM packages.
We paid him all that money to sit on the bench last year. 

Meanwhile Sean Peyton is using his 3rd string qb throughout the game. An actually offensive guru lol. 

And that is where the biggest problem is.  TDs to red zone trips is bad.  I can not say whos fault it is because Carr and Gruden have both been bad in the past but I think Gruden giving up play calling duties and getting MM are both good options that should be looked into.  We are great between the 20's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

It does seem hypocritical but I think his point was if you play that way overall the Chiefs are going to beat you.  Just like many of us in here believe settling for FGs will get you an L against the Chiefs even though we kicked 2 FGs in the win.  He actually points out plays that he liked from Carr in that game first showing what he needs to do for this team to be a playoff team this year.

Sure you can say that but the reality is that's not the only team that happened to. It happened with the dolphins the Chargers and the jets(we just happen to get lucky and win that game). We have to look at how bad the defense actually was last year. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Sure you can say that but the reality is that's not the only team that happened to. It happened with the dolphins the Chargers and the jets(we just happen to get lucky and win that game). We have to look at how bad the defense actually was last year. 

Nobody is saying the defense is good.  If I know my defense is going to give up 35 I can not be satisfied with my offense putting up 30.  Gruden still shoulders part of the blame for the defense because he has control over coaching and player personnel on both sides of the ball.  In the off-season you can say lets fix the defense but during the season you have to adjust if part of your team is failing.  The offense and Carr needed to be more aggressive to pick up the slack.  The fans knew this so I am sure the players and coaches knew this but we still did not do it.  Now clearly the offence as a whole was better than the defense but the offense was far from perfect.

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

DC reiterating if he had to play for another NFL team, he'd probably retire.

If it happened I highly doubt he would follow through.  Just some more pointless noise from the team.

4 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I think this is why MM looked so different running the same plays with the same players.  I do not think MM is a better QB than Carr just like I think Fitz is not as good as Carr.  I do think that both of them are better suited to run Gruden's offense however.  If he can play with the aggressiveness of 2015 and 2016 he will easily be a top 10 QB and possibly top 5.  Aggressive offence combined with an opportunistic defense and we are in the playoffs.  I will take 4500 yards, 35 TDs, with 20 INTs.  Especially if it means we are sustaining drives which will have a positive effect on the defense.  Yes the offense does need to help the defense not because the offense needs catch up to the defense but because the offense is the better side of the team and more capable of doing more.  This team played well when we won TOP and TO differential.

That's great for fantasy football. 

But if Carr tosses 20 picks last year, regardless of TDs and yards, we almost assuredly finish worse than 8-8 considering how many 1 score games we were in or could've been in. 

Adding 8 TDs but more than doubling the number of interceptions thrown does nothing for the team in reality, and would certainly not have a positive impact on our defense as was, or, as is. 

• Like 3

Just now, drfrey13 said:

Nobody is saying the defense is good.  If I know my defense is going to give up 35 I can not be satisfied with my offense putting up 30.  Gruden still shoulders part of the blame for the defense because he has control over coaching and player personnel on both sides of the ball.  In the off-season you can say lets fix the defense but during the season you have to adjust if part of your team is failing.  The offense and Carr needed to be more aggressive to pick up the slack.  The fans knew this so I am sure the players and coaches knew this but we still did not do it.  Now clearly the offence as a whole was better than the defense but the offense was far from perfect.

If it happened I highly doubt he would follow through.  Just some more pointless noise from the team.

The defense hemorrhaged points and blew leads left and right, and the offense needed to pick up the slack? What are we, the 2007 Patriots and 2013 Broncos on offense? 🤦🏼‍♂️

I mean, don't get me wrong, we ALL hated the playcalling at times, but good grief. Just a bad take. Sustaining pace to get the points we would've needed to win as many games as the offense had us in position to despite the defense's deficiencies would've required us to be one of the most prolific offenses of all time. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

But if Carr tosses 20 picks last year, regardless of TDs and yards, we almost assuredly finish worse than 8-8 considering how many 1 score games we were in or could've been in. 

Adding 8 TDs but more than doubling the number of interceptions thrown does nothing for the team in reality, and would certainly not have a positive impact on our defense as was, or, as is. 

I said with an opportunistic defense and I will take that level of INTs not that I wanted it.  To see him get more aggressive would be worth it.  A combination like this will lead to a better TO differential and better TOP.  Carr could also cut down on the fumbles.  If we had a positive turnover differential last year we probably make the playoffs.  That was equally on the defense and offense.

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

The defense hemorrhaged points and blew leads left and right, and the offense needed to pick up the slack? What are we, the 2007 Patriots and 2013 Broncos on offense? 🤦🏼‍♂️

I mean, don't get me wrong, we ALL hated the playcalling at times, but good grief. Just a bad take. Sustaining pace to get the points we would've needed to win as many games as the offense had us in position to despite the defense's deficiencies would've required us to be one of the most prolific offenses of all time. 

We had multiple games that the offense was way worse than the defense.  How about they needed to try and pick up the slack by being more aggressive.   Like I said if you know you are going to give up 35 points you can not be satisfied with scoring 30.  It is not a hard concept.  You can be risk adverse if your defense is good but we did not have that luxury last year.  Once again MM is not a better QB than Carr but he is a better fit for the scheme because he will take chances.  Carr can change this but he has not shown it yet.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

20 picks would have been brutal last year. Those would have turned into points. We probably go closer to 5-11 then. Maybe worse.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

We had multiple games that the offense was way worse than the defense.  How about they needed to try and pick up the slack by being more aggressive.   Like I said if you know you are going to give up 35 points you can not be satisfied with scoring 30.  It is not a hard concept.  You can be risk adverse if your defense is good but we did not have that luxury last year.  Once again MM is not a better QB than Carr but he is a better fit for the scheme because he will take chances.  Carr can change this but he has not shown it yet.

I actually think when you D is bad, you have to be more risk adverse. 

As a team, when we gave the ball away we rarely recovered from it.
NE - -2
Buff -2
TB -1
Atl -4
Indy -1
Mia - 1
Den -4 (only game we won with a negative turnover ratios)

-
We were 4-1 with an even ratio
We were 3-0 with a plus ratio
We were 1-7 with a minus ratio

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders-team-game-log?season=2020&category=TURNOVERS&seasonType=1
- -
When your D doesnt force turnovers, YOU CANNOT afford to turn the ball over. 

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-most-takeaways-from-defense-2020

We had 15 forced turnovers on the years. 8 of which came between the first Den Game and the Jets came. 
That means 7 turnovers in the other 14 games that year. 
-

This to me shows we could at most afford 1 turnover a game, AT MOST.

That does let you play risky football. 
That dictates a game plan for an O

Edited by BackinBlack
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Why would he this is the only place that would start him 8 yrs in row. Most qbs don’t get that long of a leach 

its like you dont realize football is a team sport. You always bash Carr, yet you give the defense whose consistently amongst the leagues worst a pass. I dont get it. 

On 6/14/2021 at 2:36 PM, NYRaider said:

You guys are right, Carr is elite. Never top 10 in any stats, never wins more games then he loses, that's my quarterback. 

literally no one calls him elite. 

• Like 1