The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

49 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Ridder in the 2nd would be a good grooming pick. 

If they were to be drafted where they really should be. I'd like Howell in round 2. But I also like Ridder and I like Strong. But I'd like to get Strong more third roundish.

50 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I said nothing about drafting a QB in the first.  What I have said is under the right circumstances I move on from Carr.  Why is that so hard to understand?

On the subject of MM he had a similar to season to Carr in 2016 and also broke his ankle just a couple hours apart from Carr.  He had a bad year coming off the injury and in week 1 in 2018 he suffered a nerve injury in his throwing elbow.  The video posted on this sight a while ago broke down the timeline and impact of the injuries.  It also showed how his play has improved since coming to the Raiders.  

I see, some video "from some site" which has some random guys opinion has you convinced MM is a good QB.  Got it.

JM and Ziegler know exactly what they have in Carr.  He is a top 10 QB who has been held back by terrible D's and no weapons on O.  They are coming in here and one of the first orders of business will be to surround Carr with the talent needed for him to succeed.  

I could very easily see us going WR,WR, TE2 in FA or WR, TE2 in FA and us drafting a WR in the 1st. 

Some of my suggestions have been Chark, Juju as WR to target in FA.  OJ Howard, Njoku or Engram as TE2.  Some possible 1st round WR to target would be Wilson or Williams. 

One of those WR's in FA combined with one of those TE's and either Wilson or Williams in the 1st and Carr will have a monster season.

5 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I see, some video "from some site" which has some random guys opinion has you convinced MM is a good QB.  Got it.

JM and Ziegler know exactly what they have in Carr.  He is a top 10 QB who has been held back by terrible D's and no weapons on O.  They are coming in here and one of the first orders of business will be to surround Carr with the talent needed for him to succeed.  

I could very easily see us going WR,WR, TE2 in FA or WR, TE2 in FA and us drafting a WR in the 1st. 

Some of my suggestions have been Chark, Juju as WR to target in FA.  OJ Howard, Njoku or Engram as TE2.  Some possible 1st round WR to target would be Wilson or Williams. 

One of those WR's in FA combined with one of those TE's and either Wilson or Williams in the 1st and Carr will have a monster season.

I said he has struggled to play from those injuries.  2016 Carr and 2016 MM had very similar seasons in overall play.  They video shows how he played injured and how he has played now.  I have already said multiple times that Carr has the talent to be a much better QB but I think his shortcomings stem more from his being risk adverse and other mental issues.  If he can overcome his issues he is really good and on the edge of being elite.  I do not buy into the rest of the team sucks excuse.  If that was the case he should step forward more often then he does.  Not saying he always does but he needs to step up when he feels the other team pulling away and not just when we need a TD with 4 minutes left.

Think about an O with Jacobs, Drake, DJ Chark, Garrett Wilson Renfrow, Edwards, Waller and Njoku.  Carr would have a monster season and we would become very efficient in the Red Zone.  

An O that looks like this can be assembled for approximately 20 million this offseason. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

13 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Think about an O with Jacobs, Drake, DJ Chark, Garrett Wilson Renfrow, Edwards, Waller and Njoku.  Carr would have a monster season and we would become very efficient in the Red Zone.  

An O that looks like this can be assembled for approximately 20 million this offseason. 

I wouldn't hate a Chark addition. It would give us more flexibility with our first pick if we were going to go WR first which, if we do end up with Chark, would be ideal.

If you extend Carr, you do so thinking you can compete for a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years. Personally, I don't think the Raiders have the talent to do that. Extending Carr, you better be ready to go all in on acquiring the talent to eclipse KC in the West and compete for a Super Bowl. 

I'm excited to see what their plans are with the roster. That should signal a lot of their intentions. 

10 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

There's a lot of people that hate Carr. Not suggesting y'all but they do exist and there's a very large group of them. 

Normally I'd be on board with your scenario except this QB class is trash. Literally might be 2013 bad or worse. There's also the fact that with all the **** that went down, he still, under immense pressure, did his part to lead this team to the playoffs and we almost got a road playoff win. Why move backwards when we took many steps forward and got a much better offensive-minded coach? Let's see what McD can do with Carr and maybe you'll be surprised. I doubt we extend him more than 3 years ago if it doesn't work, it won't bea decade down the line until we move on. 

I don't disagree. I am much more pro Carr with the McDaniel's hiring than I would have been otherwise.

I also think Carr is a great buffer for McDaniels. Teammates like him, if he's all in with McDaniels, the rest will follow. That's a valuable leadership piece. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Do those assets stop Carr from fumbling the ball 13 times? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

If you extend Carr, you do so thinking you can compete for a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years. Personally, I don't think the Raiders have the talent to do that. Extending Carr, you better be ready to go all in on acquiring the talent to eclipse KC in the West and compete for a Super Bowl. 

I'm excited to see what their plans are with the roster. That should signal a lot of their intentions. 

Teams renovate 60% of their roster in 3 years. 

One really good draft, and some decent free agents, and a team is a contender. 

I'm not a Carr guy. I think you can win with him, and you can win it all with him, but you won't win everything BECAUSE of him. He's not Mahomes, or Allen, or Rodgers.

I think he has to be on a darn good team, with good protection. No way does Carr bring the Bengals to the big game, getting sacked 9 times in a game. No way. 

But, since there are no Joe Burrows or Patrick Mahomes lying around for McDaniels to pick up, I am completely cool with Carr. They can win 10-11 games with him next year. They hit a home run with a new addition, or maybe hit a couple of doubles, and they can compete for the big one. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Do those assets stop Carr from fumbling the ball 13 times? 

Did fumbling 13 times stop one of the bright young minds in football to not only sign with us but sign with us and then extend Carr? 

You've been pounding the table for years that we need to move on from Carr and YOY you're embarrassed and proven to be wrong.  We will now will have Carr will be behind center for years to come.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

I tend to look at that extra 10-15mil we're going to give Carr in terms of wins. If we don't, it's going to be a 2-4 win drop off. McDaniels has been the hottest HC candidate for the last 5+ years. He didn't go somewhere to let that team become worse and try to build it up. He's had dozens of those opportunities and passed them all up.

Pay a bit more for Carr, hope your scheme and coaches and off-season can squeeze out an extra win or two from last years total and now people are talking about you as a contender. We have a shot to get to the superbowl it if McDaniels can bring that offensive change and our defense just gets a bit better. There's no reason to start over at QB *this year*

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

idk, all playmakers. What about the Oline?

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

idk, all playmakers. What about the Oline?

RT needs to be addressed there is no doubt about that and that should be addressed in FA.  If we can walk away with Chark, Njoku and a starting RT for around 30 million in FA we will be well positioned going into the draft.  We currently have around 40 million in Cap space but I feel like we will open that up once we move on from dead weight.  

Interior Oline value can be acquired in via the draft in the 3rd and beyond. 

Also remember Carr is one of the best in the NFL at getting the ball out quickly and most importantly he needs weapons to throw to as opposed to spending heavily to bolster the Oline.