The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

34 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Gruden/Mayock didn't draft a QB during their whole tenure.

What's your point? Their entire tenure, as pointed out, Carr was constantly under the radar on if he were to get traded. And for him to come out and say this was the FIRST time a coaching staff verbally committed themselves to him privately and publicly says something. Don't get me wrong I thought Gruden was a huge proponent of Carr, but these statements are still somewhat telling of how he felt he was treated. 

I like how this thread turned into the "The RBs Thread."  I'm glad Jacobs and Drake are walking after this season.  We're paying them like 20M this season as it is, right? 

I like how we already found their replacements.  I like how we are going to draft RBs that will probably produce at the same level of Jacobs and Drake for a fraction of the price.  It's smart.  A lot of great teams do it.  Very rarely are RBs worth a second big contract.  They're more prone to injuries at their position and their careers are the shortest in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, NickButera said:

What's your point? Their entire tenure, as pointed out, Carr was constantly under the radar on if he were to get traded. And for him to come out and say this was the FIRST time a coaching staff verbally committed themselves to him privately and publicly says something. Don't get me wrong I thought Gruden was a huge proponent of Carr, but these statements are still somewhat telling of how he felt he was treated. 

Everyone here was flipping out when McDaniels said that the team and Carr would have to find a sweet spot for an extension to happen and early on they weren't publicly singing his praises. When Gruden took over Carr was just starting on the first year of his 5 year extension. The rumors surrounding Carr's future with us during the Grudock era ran hot and cold but Carr didn't necessarily play at some crazy high level to dismiss them and we were a middle of the pack team at best. 

I'm sure it was much easier to commit to Carr after the way that he played and leadership he displayed during our chaotic 2021 season then it would've been prior to that. He also had multiple years left on his deal before this off-season so there wasn't really a reason to be extremely public in tipping our hand on how we felt about him. 

And despite what Carr, McDaniels, or Ziegler say, the contract really tells the truth about everything. It's a pay as you go deal that looks huge on paper but gives the team the flexibility to move on from him at any point after the upcoming season. 

"I think Derek Carr had his best year yet, under Jon Gruden," Mayock said in a Zoom meeting with reporters, "I think he's one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL, and we couldn't be happier with him. And I tell you every year—we evaluate every position every year. I have no idea who might call me [for a trade] or who might not call me. So, you have to do the evaluations, both on your own players and every other player in the league. And you've got to stack your boards and understand what league value is all around the league, and we do that."

6 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I like how this thread turned into the "The RBs Thread."  I'm glad Jacobs and Drake are walking after this season.  We're paying them like 20M this season as it is, right? 

I like how we already found their replacements.  I like how we are going to draft RBs that will probably produce at the same level of Jacobs and Drake for a fraction of the price.  It's smart.  A lot of great teams do it.  Very rarely are RBs worth a second big contract.  They're more prone to injuries at their position and their careers are the shortest in the NFL.

We're paying them a combined $7.5M this season. I think the restructure that we did on Drake's contract that created $4.4M in dead cap also played a role in the decision to decline Jacobs 5th year option. Because even though we would've been paying him $8M we really would've had top tier money invested at RB with $12.4M between Jacobs/Drake's dead money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Spotrac has Jacobs market value at 4 yr/$40M and he's almost always on point. 

Key word.

Zero percent chance Jacobs gets $10m/yr. Literally 0%. Probably even less than 0. 

This year probably doesn't do him many favors, either, as elite production and McDaniels run games don't exactly go hand-in-hand. Jacobs needs a much bigger year than he has really any chance at having to sniff 7, much less 10. 

That said, if LA wants to ditch Ekeler and pay Jacobs that, I'd be perfectly happy. 

18 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Key word.

Zero percent chance Jacobs gets $10m/yr. Literally 0%. Probably even less than 0. 

This year probably doesn't do him many favors, either, as elite production and McDaniels run games don't exactly go hand-in-hand. Jacobs needs a much bigger year than he has really any chance at having to sniff 7, much less 10. 

That said, if LA wants to ditch Ekeler and pay Jacobs that, I'd be perfectly happy. 

He's always the first person with all of the specifics about NFL contracts. He'd be an upgrade for a number of teams including the Chiefs, Falcons, and Bills. 

Damien Harris was 10th in rushing yards and 2nd in rushing TD last season despite dealing with injuries and the Patriots using a committee approach. One of the reasons they had to use multiple RB's was because Harris is a non-factor as a receiver. Jacobs was 5th amongst RB last season in catches ahead of guys like Alvin Kamara, Aaron Jones, and Cordarrelle Patterson.

• 2 months later...

Name on positive thing that Gruden did for the Raiders and if you can name one then name a second. Dude just ducked this franchise over and over. With the draft picks and then the FA signings and then this. Truly maybe the worst thing that ever happened to the Raiders. Did nothing to uplift the franchise 

38 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Name on positive thing that Gruden did for the Raiders and if you can name one then name a second. Dude just ducked this franchise over and over. With the draft picks and then the FA signings and then this. Truly maybe the worst thing that ever happened to the Raiders. Did nothing to uplift the franchise 

Getting rid of Cooper was a great move but

that is all.