Rank every division's QB situations: AFC North

notthatbluestuff

Hoping to get some detailed discussion comparing the QB rooms in each division in the coming months, maybe one per week. Let's start with the AFC North.

Baltimore Ravens: Lamar Jackson, Robert Griffin III, Trace McSorley 
Cincinnati Bengals: Joe Burrow, Andy Dalton (for now), Ryan Finley, Jake Dolegala 
Cleveland Browns: Baker Mayfield, Case Keenum, Garrett Gilbert
Pittsburgh Steelers: Ben Roethlisberger, Mason Rudolph, Devlin Hodges, Paxton Lynch, JT Barrett

How do you rank these rooms heading into the 2020 season?

B+ or A- 

Lamar Jackson is unplayable

Joe Burrow is what coaches dream a QB should be - so smart, reads defenses like a vet, adjusts brilliantly after snap, VERY accurate

Mayfield is still a bit unknown, but clearly has the tools if his head is right. Can win games.

Roth is HOF and he still has a cannon and is tough and smart

One of the best DIVs, I'd say

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Great but I was actually looking for a ranking of those four QB situations from best to worst. 

Oh sorry. Been on the Goodell juice. Yeah, that's harder....

brb

I'd have to say

1. Baltimore - because Lamar. Don't like what's behind him

2. Cinci - I do think Burrow is going to be a top 5ish QB one day, and they know Ginge can spot him if need be and be serviceable

3. Cleveland - Mayfield still very young and can win games, players seem to like him. Lots to come

4. Pitts - Only because of Ben's age and injuries, and I don't rate Mason. I guess you could say Mason is the best number 2 in all this

Hope this is correct now...lol

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

1. Baltimore-Jackson 

2. Pitt- Rothlisbereger can still be a top QB

3. Cin- Burrow is going to be a great QB but there is the going to be part

4. Cleveland - Mayfield has the tools but I don't feel that his head will ever be right for anything other than a guy with a lot of potential. 

• Like 1

I am trying to rank them but I will admit it's a struggle, on one hand, Ben is coming back which will boost the Steelers but he has some injury concerns especially after a surgery like that, on the other hand, I think Burrow will have a great rookie season and I think Mayfield will have a resurgence now that Kitchens has gone (alongside every other Brown who had a dip last year cause of their dreadful coaching situation). Tricky, definitely one of the wildcard divisions at the no.2 spot.

Edited by Drained

Baltimore - Ravens OC needs to keep things fresh so he doesn’t fall into the trap he did with Kap in SF. RG3 is a solid backup and in the argument for best in the division 

Pitt - Roethlisberger, though coming off injury,  still has been more consistent then the others. His backups were bad last year but with having the experience and not having to be counted on for long stretches of time could help them to improve their game

Cleveland - Baker has shown he can succeed at this level but needs to bounce back. Keenum could succeed for a limited time in this offense 

Cincinnati - If things fall into place like you’d expect Burrow could jump to number 2 this time next year. Dalton is the best backup but who knows if he’ll be around to do anything 

• Like 1

1.  Baltimore has the best QB situation right now without a doubt.  Jackson is a phenomenon, and like others on here have said, RGIII can definitely fill into the role if he has to.  

2.  I honestly think Cleveland can be great with Baker Mayfield, but he definitely needs the right coaching around him.  Freddie Kitchens was a clown, and Cleveland needs a guy to go in there and tell Baker like it is.  Baker is honestly the best QB Cleveland has ever had, and we would all like to see him succeed.  Keenum is a solid backup who has playoff experience, so that's invaluable.  

3.  Big Ben is more well done than a $3 steak, but you can't tell Pittsburgh that.  They just keep wrapping him in bubble wrap and sending him out on the field.  He's so washed up, and he just staying around for the contract at this point.  I hate to say that, because he was  one of the most epic QBs in his youth, but those days are over.  And, Pittsburgh used to have great backup QBs, but not now.  

4.  Joe Burrow is a clean slate and completely unproven.  So, he could be Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf.  Who knows?  Good thing is that they still have Andy Dalton on the roster if they need a guy with experience to go in there.  

• Like 1

To me Big Ben has to be last or in the question mark tier just because of the Tommy John’s surgery. That has ended careers before, and Roethlisberger was already a slob on the fitness side of things. Seeing him lately he looks super fat and haggard, and coming off that surgery I don’t see how he isn’t totally done.

But hard to rank Burrow anywhere - he looks like a terrific prospect but maybe he folds on a team that isn’t exceptionally more talented than their competition like he had at LSU. Time will tell.

as for Baker, I think it’s telling they signed Keenum as a top tier backup, seeing as last year Baker looked like a less athletic version of his new backup Case. Hopefully he lays off the bud lite and commercials this offseason and actually shows up in shape and ready to play.

and then Lamar is the mvp (a player who some have questions about that I personally don’t subscribe too). 

The AFC North could easily have some of the best QB play next year but also be a bit of a dumpster fire. Something to watch for sure.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

Steelers are dead last. Hodges/Rudolph don't appear to have any potentail as long term starters. Ben is 37, coming off a big injury, and even during his last couple of years on the field had stretches where he looked washed, followed by stretches of brilliance where he has his occasional 500 yard 4 touchdown explosion. his start to last season was rough, and we have yet to see what he will look like without Antonio Brown for an extended period of time. 

Next up is Cleveland. Baker isn't bad, but he hasn't remotely lived up to the hype, despite being showered with weapons. They did draft Wills to help shore up the line... but he has to prove it. I don't think there's a single person right now who would not flip Baker for Burrow straight up if given the option.

Going Cincinnati next only because Burrow hasn't played yet. Hot take maybe, but I think he has more long term viability than Lamar, only because Lamar's style of play puts him in harm's way, and if he loses athleticism from injury, it will cripple his game. 

Ravens have the best because Lamar is an MVP. He threw for 36 TD's despite only having 1 WR threat, who was a rookie and also was hurt for periods of time. With that said, when he had to play from behind in the Playoffs, he didn't look all that much better than he did in that disaster Chargers playoff game. Baltimore did get him more weapons, so I hope for his longevity that he continues to improve as a passer.

No more excuses for mayfield he has a all star team around him. If he sucks again it's on him, though I believe it was on him last season as well, just cant read defenses. 

But multiple star wrs, new ol, star rb, and a defense with stars. Browns have talent 

• Like 1

1. Lamar Jackson. MVP, much better passer than given credit for. More weapons this year, another season under his belt.
2. Cincinnati is in second as long as Andy Dalton is on the team. Joe Burrow may not start. If this he does, they move down a peg simply because he is a rookie.
3. Pittsburgh, Ben may be done, but before anyone dumps a shovel on him and his repaired elbow, I give his thickness the benefit of the doubt.
4. Cleveland is last. Baker Mayfield is overrated. His commercials will be #1 again in the division. 3rd offense in 3 years? This screws up a lot of QB's and he isn't exactly top tier, oh wait, he is flaming this post on Twitter right now!