The Recipe Thread 2.0!

scar988

Latkes

Ingredients:

5-ish lbs grated potatoes (less two small or 1 medium sized one that's not grated, but is peeled)

1 medium vidalia onion, peeled and the top and bottom cut off.

2 eggs

1/2 tsp baking powder

1-1/2 tsp salt

1 tbsp flour

Frying oil. Olive, canola, whatever you prefer.

Equipment:

Food processor

Potato grater

Frying pan - large

Preparation:

1) In the food processor, put in the eggs, baking powder, salt, flour and the one peeled potato set aside)

2) Run the food processor with the normal blade until the potato mixture is smooth

3) In a large bowl, fold in the grated potatoes so that the mixture is somewhat even.

4) Set frying pan on the stove to a medium heat with about 4 tbsp of oil

5) Once pan and oil get to a high enough heat, scoop out 1/4 cup sized latkes and put into pan with spacing between them.

6) Once they are browned on the bottom, flip and fry the other side

7) Once browned on both sides, transfer to a plate with some paper towels on them to absorb the excess oil.

😎 Enjoy with apple sauce, apple butter, lox, sour cream, etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/mediterranean-style-leg-of-lamb-recipe-with-potatoes/

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/low-carb-cauliflower-hummus-recipe/

https://www.fatforweightloss.com.au/low-carb-baba-ganoush/

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/tzatziki-sauce-recipe/

This was dinner this past weekend. The lamb was tender, with a great tart flavor with the marinade, but the cauliflower hummus was a superstar - I could have eaten that straight from the bowl.

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Peanut butter.

Bread.

Jelly optional.

You just put the peanut butter on the bread and enjoy.

Best with milk.

At this point... you're not living. You're just not dying.

Come to Houston, I'll make you a standing rib roast with yorkshire pudding and braised asparagus with portabello mushroom caps and mushroom risotto.

You'll start to look at life through a different lens.

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

At this point... you're not living. You're just not dying.

Come to Houston, I'll make you a standing rib roast with yorkshire pudding and braised asparagus with portabello mushroom caps and mushroom risotto.

You'll start to look at life through a different lens.

No.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Peanut butter.

Bread.

Jelly optional.

You just put the peanut butter on the bread and enjoy.

Best with milk.

So, this is gonna sound weird, but these combos work, I promise.

It’s a hybrid grilled cheese-pbj-sandwich.

Peanut butter, chopped raisins or other dried fruit if you want, swiss or cheddar cheese, and hot sauce.  Toast the bread, melt the cheese, put on your stuff, and go to town.

It sounds weird, but if you think about it, any two of those things work together, so it works.

Messy as hell though.

Also, sometimes I put melted cheese in my Elvises.

Edited by Daniel

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

So, this is gonna sound weird, but these combos work, I promise.

It’s a hybrid grilled cheese-pbj-sandwich.

Peanut butter, chopped raisins or other dried fruit if you want, swiss or cheddar cheese, and hot sauce.  Toast the bread, melt the cheese, put on your stuff, and go to town.

It sounds weird, but if you think about it, any two of those things work together, so it works.

Messy as hell though.

Also, sometimes I put melted cheese in my Elvises.

Jokes aside, I would love to have the patience to cook.  I don't have the patience to cook.  I have eaten the exact same sandwich (2 slices cheese, mayo, two packs of pre-packed sliced corned beef) for the past two weeks.  Two of them per day at work.  They're simple and have the exact amount of protein I want to get per meal.

I've tried cooking before, but I don't have any patience whatsoever and I have a pretty bland palette anyway. 

The other night I made lamb loin chops in my cast iron (rubbed with salt, pepper, and some other spices). I seared them in olive oil, but after the double sided sear, I reduced to low and then finished them in a garlic butter bath (spooning over each chop) and then rest for 10 minutes. Will do again, as they were a huge hit. The slight gamey taste with the tenderness of the lamb and just a hint of spice with the buttery finish was perfect.

• Like 1

Go this is kind of my go to meal, my son loves it so I probably make it once a week (he's only 18 months but he devours this). 

Its basically Rigatoni with spicy sausage.  

Ingredients:

White onion (use about 3/4ths)

4 garlic cloves

Spicy italian sausage (if you buy them in links remove the casings and use like 2.5 to 3 of them)

Rigatoni

Tomato sauce

Spinach 

Fresh Basil leaves

Steps:

Chop up the White onion and put on low heat with some olive oil.  Let the onions cook for a few minutes.  Add salt and pepper.

Boil Rigatoni in another pot.  You want to undercook the Rigatoni because you're going to finish it in the other pot, so just like 5-6 min.  

Once the onions start looking cooked make the sausage into small balls and add to pan.  

After the sausage starts to brown throw in finely chopped garlic.  Let cook for about a minute.  

Add the tomato sauce to the pan.  Add some more salt and pepper.  

Add some spinach leaves to the sauce and stir till the leaves get cooked.

Drain the Rigatoni, and to the sauce pan and stir.  Salt and pepper again.  Stir it up till the sauce covers the noodles.  Cover the sauce pan to let Rigatoni soak up the sauce. Turn down on the lowest heat possible, you want the noodles to soak up the sauce not get smushy.  

Once noodles are fully cooked uncover and throw some fresh basil leaves and you're done.  

Serve with some shredded parmesan.  

On 1/24/2021 at 6:59 AM, Outpost31 said:

Jokes aside, I would love to have the patience to cook.  I don't have the patience to cook.  I have eaten the exact same sandwich (2 slices cheese, mayo, two packs of pre-packed sliced corned beef) for the past two weeks.  Two of them per day at work.  They're simple and have the exact amount of protein I want to get per meal.

I've tried cooking before, but I don't have any patience whatsoever and I have a pretty bland palette anyway. 

This explains why you're so angry in the movie threads. Dude, we have to get you to try some real food.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 11:10 AM, MKnight82 said:

Go this is kind of my go to meal, my son loves it so I probably make it once a week (he's only 18 months but he devours this). 

Its basically Rigatoni with spicy sausage.  

Ingredients:

White onion (use about 3/4ths)

4 garlic cloves

Spicy italian sausage (if you buy them in links remove the casings and use like 2.5 to 3 of them)

Rigatoni

Tomato sauce

Spinach 

Fresh Basil leaves

Steps:

Chop up the White onion and put on low heat with some olive oil.  Let the onions cook for a few minutes.  Add salt and pepper.

Boil Rigatoni in another pot.  You want to undercook the Rigatoni because you're going to finish it in the other pot, so just like 5-6 min.  

Once the onions start looking cooked make the sausage into small balls and add to pan.  

After the sausage starts to brown throw in finely chopped garlic.  Let cook for about a minute.  

Add the tomato sauce to the pan.  Add some more salt and pepper.  

Add some spinach leaves to the sauce and stir till the leaves get cooked.

Drain the Rigatoni, and to the sauce pan and stir.  Salt and pepper again.  Stir it up till the sauce covers the noodles.  Cover the sauce pan to let Rigatoni soak up the sauce. Turn down on the lowest heat possible, you want the noodles to soak up the sauce not get smushy.  

Once noodles are fully cooked uncover and throw some fresh basil leaves and you're done.  

Serve with some shredded parmesan.  

This looks amazing, but I'd probably prefer to do this with Penne or bow ties.