The Recipe Thread 2.0!

scar988

On 11/10/2021 at 3:53 PM, Shanedorf said:

Q: What's the difference between a lentil and a chick-pea ?

A: Nobody ever paid $200 for a lentil on their face

queen-pointing.gif

On 11/8/2021 at 6:13 PM, Shanedorf said:

Actually saw that whiskey will dissolve Werther's Originals and honestly it sounds amazing. Not sure if I should use regular or my Pecan Whiskey atm though

• Like 1

https://altonbrown.com/recipes/peanut-butter-fudge/

Made this, and I hate baking and super sweet desserts. Was actually pretty good. If you want to make it firmer then probably add a bit of regular sugar in place of the confectioner's sugar. But 4 ingredients and only things that got dirty was a mixing bowl, a spoon, and a baking pan that I sprayed some nonstick spray so the wax paper stayed in place? Couldn't have been easier.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 6:02 PM, Sugashane said:

https://altonbrown.com/recipes/peanut-butter-fudge/

Made this, and I hate baking and super sweet desserts. Was actually pretty good. If you want to make it firmer then probably add a bit of regular sugar in place of the confectioner's sugar. But 4 ingredients and only things that got dirty was a mixing bowl, a spoon, and a baking pan that I sprayed some nonstick spray so the wax paper stayed in place? Couldn't have been easier.

AB is my go-to for starting recipes.

Most of his are pretty basic, and need a little something extra to be great, but they almost always nail techniques and tell you what you need.

America’s Test Kitchen is slightly better IMO, but AB is a great source.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

AB is my go-to for starting recipes.

Most of his are pretty basic, and need a little something extra to be great, but they almost always nail techniques and tell you what you need.

America’s Test Kitchen is slightly better IMO, but AB is a great source.

ATK is always a solid resource. I've used their gradings for a lot of kitchen gear too and been very happy with their recommendations.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

ATK is always a solid resource. I've used their gradings for a lot of kitchen gear too and been very happy with their recommendations.

Their Thanksgiving turkey is ******* perfect, except that it needs a little more herbage and spices.

On 11/6/2021 at 6:37 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

So I was given 25kg of apples from a student. What's your best apple-based recipe? Dessert, cider, apple butter, anything. 

Apple cake. 

peel 3-4 apples, core them, cut them into chunks. 
buy a small pack of walnuts. 
buy a box of spice cake, follow its instructions, mix all that together, but substitute the 1 cup of water with a half cup of applesauce,1/2 cup water. 
spray the cake pan with oil

Bake at about 340 for about 40 minutes. Serve with applesauce. 

My favorite cake. No icing. Simple. Delicious. 

If you can find them, buy a bag of butterscotch morsels and add 3/4 cup of those too. Love. 

• Like 1

Christmas is around the corner and I suck at gift-giving. I also like getting drunk around this time, so to rectify both of these I've been crafting on a simple and delicious rum cake. 

Simple Christmas rum cake

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

1 box yellow cake mix
1 pack instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs (ROOM TEMPERATURE)
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup oil (ultimately your choice, but I like coconut oil best)
1/2 cup rum of your choice (I like to use spiced rum)
1 cup chopped nuts (pecan or walnut works best) or coconut - OPTIONAL

Mix until it's JUST incorporated. Don't overmix otherwise it'll become dense.

Grease and flour a bundt pan. You can layer the bottom with more nuts/coconut if you wish. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth it out. Place in oven for one hour.

When the cake is done, get it out of the bundt pan (hopefully it doesn't stick) onto a cooling rack. While cooling, start on the glaze.

Glaze

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup of rum of your choice

Heat and stir until mixture comes to boil. Lower heat. Keep stirring until you get syrup consistency. If you want a boozier cake, add the rum slowly while stirring AFTER the glaze is removed from heat. If you want a nonboozy cake, add the rum from the get go.

Poke holes into the cooled cake. Get a cooking brush, brush the glaze onto the cake until all the glaze is used. I like to add toasted coconut flakes here, but that's completely optional.

If you want to age the cake, brush with a VERY light coat of rum. I put emphasis on LIGHT because you don't want the alcohol to completely take over and make your cake soggy. Wrap in plastic wrap, then wrap that up in tin foil. Put that in a tin can or whatever and store in a cool, dry place. Reapply about once per week if you desire.

Edited by biggie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, mattyice0401 said:

Anyone know of any good YT recipe channels? Kinda wanna start building up some recipes and wanna find some inspiration for them

Kenji Lopez-Alt's channel is great.  Binging with Babish is pretty cool too.  They're more niche and more for fun, but I also really like Tasting History and Townsends.  They do a lot of historical recipes.  My Name is Andong is pretty good too.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Kenji Lopez-Alt's channel is great.  Binging with Babish is pretty cool too.  They're more niche and more for fun, but I also really like Tasting History and Townsends.  They do a lot of historical recipes.  My Name is Andong is pretty good too.

I'll give them a peep thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 12:33 PM, mattyice0401 said:

Anyone know of any good YT recipe channels? Kinda wanna start building up some recipes and wanna find some inspiration for them

There are tons.   Two of my faves are Remington James and Sam the Cooking Guy.

Remington James is more of a fitness channel, but he has tons of great recipes if youre looking for high protein, relatively low calorie meals.

Sam is just an awesome dude who makes great food.  Just made these a few weeks ago and they were amazing...

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 43M said:

There are tons.   Two of my faves are Remington James and Sam the Cooking Guy.

Remington James is more of a fitness channel, but he has tons of great recipes if youre looking for high protein, relatively low calorie meals.

Sam is just an awesome dude who makes great food.  Just made these a few weeks ago and they were amazing...

Sweet thanks for the suggestions I will check em out