The Recipe Thread 2.0!

scar988

22 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Anyone air fry wings before? That's the plan for my small get together for the Super Bowl, so wanting to know if there are any tips or tricks for frying them.

Small batches. They don't cook well if there's layers of them, even if you shake them up. You might even be better off baking them until they're almost done, and then throwing them in the air fryer to crisp up.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, swoosh said:

Anyone got a killer nachos recipe? I was going to pick up wings but my top two places are sold out. I snoozed big time. 

?  Just take some chips, melt some cheese on top.  Maybe cook a can of black beans, put that on top.  Sour cream.  Guacamole or salsa.  

On 2/7/2021 at 3:38 PM, swoosh said:

Anyone got a killer nachos recipe? I was going to pick up wings but my top two places are sold out. I snoozed big time. 

The best way to do nachos is to layer them almost like a casserole.

Chips

Black beans and beef cooked together in a spice mix of equal parts cumin and chili powder with some garlic salt and onion powder sprinkled in

melted cheese (I always get queso blanco and some half and half and make it that way. Works out so well)

salsa

sour cream

jalapenos (optional)

repeat this order one-two more times and oyu'll have a badass mound of nachos.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 7:24 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Went with the donut holes idea. Luckily the wife woke up at 5:45 am to help me, but they were the hit of the party. Half cinnamon sugar, half powdered sugar for the coatings. 

Always a good call. They're pretty easy to make for a first time thing.

Tweaked my Chimichurri sauce recipe slightly last night and dayum absolutely sang when served on ribeye.

I've been substituting carrot greens for parsley for a while now in it, but I added in some celery leaves and fresh cilantro, and finished it with some fresh lime zest.  Like wow!

• 3 weeks later...

I’m down about 20 lbs in a month and overall like down 110-120 from my highest weight (haven’t weighed this much since 8th grade lol) thanks to my annoying diet (calorie counting). I eat cereal every morning, a pb&j every lunch and then soup for dinner. I tried more traditional diets but couldn’t stick with them cause I always felt hungry. 

tonight I made a shrimp and crab tomato bisque that is so bomb. 
4 diced tomatoes, garlic minced, shrimp, heavy whipping cream, crab, basil, tomato paste, rosé wine. It’s not complicated at all but it’s so damn good. 

• Like 2

Made an old staple curry last night, but it is a little unusual.

Mango curry lentils

1 1/2 cups red lentils
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 onion, diced
1/2 bulb garlic, separated, cut in half, and smashed
1 mango, diced
2 tbsp curry spices (I eyeball it, but use: cayenne, cumin, garam masala, curry powder, ginger, coriander, turmeric, and cinnamon, in order from most to least)
1/2 tsp paprika
1 small sweet potato, chopped

Olive oil on medium heat, cook onions until just turning translucent, then add garlic and curry spices, and reduce heat to medium-low.  Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so garlic doesn't burn.  Add lentils (washed), stir, and cook for 2 minutes.  Then crank heat up to high, add tomatoes, chopped mango, sweet potato, and 2 cups boiling water.  Stir until it comes to a simmer, then add paprika, lid it, and turn the heat down to low.  Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, and adding more water if things start to stick.

If you like things really hot (and more authentic) go light on the cayenne and add a halved habanero when the tomatoes go in.  May want to fish it out and chop it up later though.

Serve over rice, and have it with naan, roti, or doubles.

On 3/3/2021 at 8:30 PM, Ty21 said:

I’m down about 20 lbs in a month and overall like down 110-120 from my highest weight (haven’t weighed this much since 8th grade lol) thanks to my annoying diet (calorie counting). I eat cereal every morning, a pb&j every lunch and then soup for dinner. I tried more traditional diets but couldn’t stick with them cause I always felt hungry. 

tonight I made a shrimp and crab tomato bisque that is so bomb. 
4 diced tomatoes, garlic minced, shrimp, heavy whipping cream, crab, basil, tomato paste, rosé wine. It’s not complicated at all but it’s so damn good. 

This sounds really good.

19 hours ago, Daniel said:

Made an old staple curry last night, but it is a little unusual.

Mango curry lentils

1 1/2 cups red lentils
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 onion, diced
1/2 bulb garlic, separated, cut in half, and smashed
1 mango, diced
2 tbsp curry spices (I eyeball it, but use: cayenne, cumin, garam masala, curry powder, ginger, coriander, turmeric, and cinnamon, in order from most to least)
1/2 tsp paprika
1 small sweet potato, chopped

Olive oil on medium heat, cook onions until just turning translucent, then add garlic and curry spices, and reduce heat to medium-low.  Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so garlic doesn't burn.  Add lentils (washed), stir, and cook for 2 minutes.  Then crank heat up to high, add tomatoes, chopped mango, sweet potato, and 2 cups boiling water.  Stir until it comes to a simmer, then add paprika, lid it, and turn the heat down to low.  Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, and adding more water if things start to stick.

If you like things really hot (and more authentic) go light on the cayenne and add a halved habanero when the tomatoes go in.  May want to fish it out and chop it up later though.

Serve over rice, and have it with naan, roti, or doubles.

Interesting. I'll have to try making this. Lentils aren't normally in my wheelhouse. But this looks interesting enough to try. Could I add some chicken to the curry?

Just now, scar988 said:

Interesting. I'll have to try making this. Lentils aren't normally in my wheelhouse. But this looks interesting enough to try. Could I add some chicken to the curry?

I don't see why not. If you're doing it that way, I'd recommend dumping the spices onto the chicken pieces before you add them into the pot before the tomatoes and other stuff goes in so you have a good chance to brown and flavor them.  There should be enough spice in the dish to flavor a little extra chicken, though I wouldn't add more than like a pound, at the very most.

Or if you just want it to taste meaty and not bother with actual meat, leave out some salt and replace the water with chicken broth.

Or do both to make it really chickeny.

Lentils are one of the things I cook the most.  My wife and I eat vegetarian most of the time, and lentils don't require soaking ahead of time, so they're easier to cook with than other beans.  If this turns you onto lentils, I also have a lentil soup recipe that I make fairly often, and I always make lentils with the bones whenever we cook lamb.

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I don't see why not. If you're doing it that way, I'd recommend dumping the spices onto the chicken pieces before you add them into the pot before the tomatoes and other stuff goes in so you have a good chance to brown and flavor them.  There should be enough spice in the dish to flavor a little extra chicken, though I wouldn't add more than like a pound, at the very most.

Or if you just want it to taste meaty and not bother with actual meat, leave out some salt and replace the water with chicken broth.

Or do both to make it really chickeny.

Lentils are one of the things I cook the most.  My wife and I eat vegetarian most of the time, and lentils don't require soaking ahead of time, so they're easier to cook with than other beans.  If this turns you onto lentils, I also have a lentil soup recipe that I make fairly often, and I always make lentils with the bones whenever we cook lamb.

tbh, I've never really had lentils before that I can recall. I'm open to trying them. Seems like something that is big in Indian and SE Asian cuisine for curries. So it would be interesting to try for sure.

I think my favorite thing I’ve made is my chili. 
-3 to 4 lbs stew meat (chuck roast is infinitely better but cutting 4 lbs into cubes make me want to kill myself)

-dehydrated ancho chiles and jalepenos toasted on stovetop, then food processor until fine powdered, add cocoa powder, cornmeal, cumin, oregano and chicken stock to make a chili paste 

-brown meat and sweat some onions and deglaze w modelo, then add diced Roma tomatoes, brown sugar, kidney beans, paste stuff, more chicken stock and let it simmer like 3 hrs 

I made it with habeneros last time and it was like on the verge of being too spicy without being too spicy. 

• Like 2