Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

Would be interesting if they elected to go with only 4 WR and specialty Ervin.  

Would seem fine, IMO.  They can part some injury-depth on PS, and it's fine. 

Beats me; I suspect they'll carry Ervin plus still five actual WR.  Typically WR are good ST candidates.  

I think it will be interesting to find what's EQ's current injury and how bad it is.  Maybe nothing, and he'll be fine by Tuesday.  But *IF* he's hurt worse, I doubt they'd go with only 3 real WR and and a dinged guy.  

I just don't see how you cut Kumerow in favor of any of:  Begelton, Shepherd, Taylor, or Turner unless you just want a "small" WR.  I am counting everyone under 6'3 as "small" only Shepherd is listed under 200 lbs.  BTW, Begelton is the 3rd oldest WR on the roster.  I can see the team keeping 4 WRs and Ervin, but I am guessing that Jake stays another year.  I think you can find similar players to all of these WRs in a given year, maybe Kumerow too, but IMO he is the best of the bunch.

I would prefer Kumerow to Dexter Williams, if that was the choice as well.  Again, does Dexter do anything that a new player couldn't should he be poached?

But I would rather keep Deguara, Lewis, Sernberger, and Tonyan over Kumerow.

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I just don't see how you cut Kumerow in favor of any of:  Begelton, Shepherd, Taylor, or Turner unless you just want a "small" WR.  I am counting everyone under 6'3 as "small" only Shepherd is listed under 200 lbs.  BTW, Begelton is the 3rd oldest WR on the roster.  I can see the team keeping 4 WRs and Ervin, but I am guessing that Jake stays another year.  I think you can find similar players to all of these WRs in a given year, maybe Kumerow too, but IMO he is the best of the bunch.

I would prefer Kumerow to Dexter Williams, if that was the choice as well.  Again, does Dexter do anything that a new player couldn't should he be poached?

I agree with you, but I also feel like Gute doesn't love guys with low ceilings, and Kumerow has a low ceiling. (though Gute will keep some guys he doesn't nessarily love too, so I'm not suggesting he doesn't earn a roster spot).

But if Shepherd were to get on equal footing, I could see them being more interested in him.

And LaFleur seems to really like D. Williams burst and how he fits into the system and they basically red shirted him last year.

As well, FB Lovett adds to the system, of a smart versatile H-Back player jack of all trades that this system needs and why they used a 3rd rounder on a player like that, I'm sure LaFleur would love to keep both of them.

21 minutes ago, Beast said:

I agree with you, but I also feel like Gute doesn't love guys with low ceilings, and Kumerow has a low ceiling. (though Gute will keep some guys he doesn't nessarily love too, so I'm not suggesting he doesn't earn a roster spot).

But if Shepherd were to get on equal footing, I could see them being more interested in him.

And LaFleur seems to really like D. Williams burst and how he fits into the system and they basically red shirted him last year.

As well, FB Lovett adds to the system, of a smart versatile H-Back player jack of all trades that this system needs and why they used a 3rd rounder on a player like that, I'm sure LaFleur would love to keep both of them.

I will be pretty hot if we keep a second FB (I am counting Deguara as a FB so that I can rationalize 4 TEs) on roster over some of the guys that I think are on the bubble.  

11 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I will be pretty hot if we keep a second FB (I am counting Deguara as a FB so that I can rationalize 4 TEs) on roster over some of the guys that I think are on the bubble.  

I agree, that I want to group them together, but I don't like calling Deguara a FB, I'd prefer we'd call them H-Back, but Packers don't ask me 😛

But if you're in a system that actually uses muliple of them (which we supposively are), there is nothing wrong with 5 TE/FB.

Well be seeing a lot of 2 WR formations.

And the H-Back and TEs give this offense verstility and when done right add layers of physical and confusion for the defense to deal with.

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The goal is probably to be able to send a generic group of guys out there and not tip off what you are doing.  The difference between Allen Lazard and Robert Tonyan is that Tonyan weighs 10 pounds more.  EQ is just 10ish pounds lighter than Lazard.  

Nah, Tonyan hasn't weight 237 since his combine.  He said he played 2019 at around 250, which passes the eye test, and I would guess he'll be around that again this year:

“Right now, I’m at 248, close to 250,” Tonyan said. “Last year, I was around 244. I haven’t been 237 for a while. It upsets me looking at it. Like I gained all this weight for no reason? Maybe they’ll change it one of these days.”

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/13/packers-te-robert-tonyan-adds-weight-ahead-of-second-season/

Lazard meanwhile is probably a touch lighter than he was in college, as you need every scrap of speed and agility you can get in the NFL.  You're looking at closer to a 30 lb difference between the two and very different levels of being able to block on the edge of the formation.  

2 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Nah, Tonyan hasn't weight 237 since his combine.  He said he played 2019 at around 250, which passes the eye test, and I would guess he'll be around that again this year:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/13/packers-te-robert-tonyan-adds-weight-ahead-of-second-season/

Lazard meanwhile is probably a touch lighter than he was in college, as you need every scrap of speed and agility you can get in the NFL.  You're looking at closer to a 30 lb difference between the two and very different levels of being able to block on the edge of the formation.  

well, I'll be dipped in ****!

16 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping Kumerow over those guys certainly, but it wouldn't surprise me if they made the change either.  As much as I like Jake and feel he brings some underrated things to the table, at the end of the day your WR4/5 is largely special teams and a sub-package guy.  Is it worth keeping Kumerow as a blocker over a receiver who can run a full tree against NFL corners?  That's not sarcastic, I think there's a strong argument to be made in this offense that the answer is "hell yes".  I also wish they would get the ball in Jake's hands on screens more, as he has legitimately impressive open-field running skills and is a load to bring down, but I sort of doubt that'll ever happen.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping Kumerow over those guys certainly, but it wouldn't surprise me if they made the change either.  As much as I like Jake and feel he brings some underrated things to the table, at the end of the day your WR4/5 is largely special teams and a sub-package guy.  Is it worth keeping Kumerow as a blocker over a receiver who can run a full tree against NFL corners?  That's not sarcastic, I think there's a strong argument to be made in this offense that the answer is "hell yes".  I also wish they would get the ball in Jake's hands on screens more, as he has legitimately impressive open-field running skills and is a load to bring down, but I sort of doubt that'll ever happen.

Showed his value blocking Clowney on the goal line in the playoffs. But I think this may be his last year, just don’t know if anyone’s flashed enough to supplant him.

2 hours ago, deathstar said:

Showed his value blocking Clowney on the goal line in the playoffs. But I think this may be his last year, just don’t know if anyone’s flashed enough to supplant him.

That is where I am at too.  And if I am being 100% honest and consistent, I think Kumerow has been better than EQ since they have been on the team.  

Look at me, banging the drum for Jake Kumerow.  🤣

On 8/31/2020 at 6:10 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

That is where I am at too.  And if I am being 100% honest and consistent, I think Kumerow has been better than EQ since they have been on the team.  

Look at me, banging the drum for Jake Kumerow.  🤣

Yea, I think it's been fairly clear for the 2nd year in a row that Kumerow is running as the No. 4, not EQ. Given the fact the Packers are still looking at lower-end WRs (guys like Rogers and Smith), it would not totally shock me that if there's a surprise cut from the WR squad -- it could be EQ. I'm not expecting it to happen, but it would not shock me as much as I think it would shock a lot of people on here. 

People are aware that EQ had more receiving yards in his rookie year than Kumerow has in his five year NFL career right?  Look, I like Jake; he seems like a great teammate and he has a number of positives in his game.  But there's a reason he just cannot get on the field regularly despite those strengths, and despite Aaron's supposed level of comfort and trust in him he only got 21 targets in 14 games.  He simply does not get open; he can't beat man coverage to save his life.  Every catch in man is with a guy draped all over him; his big plays come exclusively against zone, and generally involve him simply not being covered.  

We don't really know what exactly EQ can or will be at this point, given how little we've gotten to see of him, but if anyone thinks a team would cut a talent like EQ to keep a career WR4 like Kumerow around to block and play ST...I just don't even really understand the viewpoint.  On top of that, EQ has pretty clearly outplayed Kumerow this camp if you feel like going off the reporters tweets, so it's strange to me that anyone would think it's clear that Kumerow is the front-runner.