Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

Malik Taylor path to the NFL is quite remarkable.

Play in Div II > Missed most of his senior year through injury > Goes undrafted >  Joined Tampa as UDFA > cut less than a month later > joins Packers training camp  > Cut at 53 roster cutdown > joins Packers PS and spends the entire season with us >  enters covid impacted training camp as the least likely WR to make the roster > makes final 53.

Damn. Not many people can do what he just did. The hurdles he had to overcome to get there. The way he's going I wouldn't count against him to hurdle a few more.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Kind of happy Kumerow is out. He’s been in the NFL since 2015 and his peak has been a meh WR 4 that had 200 yards. Time to try someone else.... with that said coming from D3 he’s a great success story

You know, I like the guy, love the idea of a guy like that making it. It just doesn’t happen, not after 5 years. 

4 hours ago, Chili said:

Play in Div II > Missed most of his senior year through injury > Goes undrafted >  Joined Tampa as UDFA > cut less than a month later > joins Packers training camp  > Cut at 53 roster cutdown > joins Packers PS and spends the entire season with us >  enters covid impacted training camp as the least likely WR to make the roster > makes final 53.

Damn. Not many people can do what he just did. The hurdles he had to overcome to get there. The way he's going I wouldn't count against him to hurdle a few more.

Don't we have a story like this at WR every year?

5 hours ago, Chili said:

Taylor is another of the big, physical guys.  From interview, he seems to be a really nice, sincere guy who fits the MLF culture.  Talking the talk and actually executing are different, of course, but sounds interesting and willing to block and do the little things and pay attention to details.  

Ran 4.46 back at pro day, so he's not a turtle.  Obviously not going to run away from any defenders with that, but relative to his size it's intriguing.  

No idea if he's got any quickness or stop-and-go acceleration.  (Sometimes the bigger guys with competitive 40's aren't that quick or elusive.). 

Sometimes these types of guys become perfectly capable players; more often they come and they go. But I'm really hoping that he's one of those guys who turns out to be a success.  

Fun human-interest story.

23 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Isn't 4.46 about what Greg Jennings ran?  I'm not saying that Taylor will ever be as good as Jennings.  But nobody ever complained about Greg's speed.

Jerry Rice didn't have the fastest 40 time either, indicating that while blazing speed certainly doesn't hurt, it's down the list of what makes a good WR.